cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cedar Pass campground in the Badlands NP SD

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
I just booked 3 nights for next year at Cedar Pass campground in the Badlands NP of South Dakota. I was surprised; the cost per night was $38 plus $4 for an extra person. Even with my golden age passport I only got a discount of $11 per night not half price as in most national parks.

I could not get the Golden age discount online I had to call them directly by phone.

This is what happens when a private concession takes over a campground.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos
6 REPLIES 6

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
Years ago in Yellowstone Fishing Bridge did not give a discount, but the other campgrounds did. Because of the size of my 5th and the number of people at YS campgrounds I now stay at NFS campground outside the park.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
The Everglades Park camping had had a concessionaire running it for a few years and I understand they do not give any discount for the Senior Pass. I called and complained to the NPS, but they were not interested. I used to get the discount before they took over. I no longer go there.

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
SDcampowneroperator wrote:
Golden age pass is only for entry in the national parks, does not give discount for use of facility in the parks.

From the US government website: Bold added

The Senior Pass may provide a 50 percent discount on some amenity fees charged for facilities and services such as camping, swimming, boat launch, and specialized interpretive services.

The Senior Pass generally does NOT cover or reduce special recreation permit fees or fees charged by concessioners.

Golden Age Passports are no longer sold. However, these passes will continue to be honored according to the provisions of the pass.

Travel Photos

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
Golden age pass is only for entry in the national parks, does not give discount for use of facility inthe parks.
Cedar Pass, as with most national park campgrounds and lodges are operated by a concessionaire with usually a 11% of gross fee paid to the park service. Basic Fees are set by the park service .
Badlands National Park is a main driver of income for the park income, profits from it support many other parks that operate at a loss, like Mt. Rushmore.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
IMO this issue will continue and become more common as the NPS and others say they need the money and contract out their duties. Letโ€™s be clear, the senior pass is/was a contract between the federal government and seniors and the federal government is going to honor the contract.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Must be run by a contractor not the NPS, you will run into this now and then. YNP cg for one. Sometimes on entry fees too: Juniper and Alexander springs in FL.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper