Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: winter vs battery
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> winter vs battery

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Rich&Mar

wa usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/20 05:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I want to keep my fiver hooked up to shore power this winter because I run one of those round electric dehumidifiers 24/7. Can I just take a battery cable off and try to remember to hook it up every 2-3 weeks for a few days to charge the battery? Or do you even need to do this? It doesn't seem right to keep the battery hooked up to the power all the time. What's the best way or what do you do?

rich

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/20 05:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Keep a trickle charger on the battery to prevent freezing.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

jkwilson

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/20 05:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FYI, a typical residential dehumidifier does very little below about 60F ambient temperature.

An amp or amp and a half battery tender will keep it charged. If cold enough, you can just leave the battery unhooked.

John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

Lwiddis

Lone Pine, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/20 05:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As said a battery tender...and some basic reading about RVs and batteries.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/20 06:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rich&Mar wrote:

I want to keep my fiver hooked up to shore power this winter because I run one of those round electric dehumidifiers 24/7. Can I just take a battery cable off and try to remember to hook it up every 2-3 weeks for a few days to charge the battery? Or do you even need to do this? It doesn't seem right to keep the battery hooked up to the power all the time. What's the best way or what do you do?

We just had a similar thread , why not just let the converter take care of your batteries if you are plugged in, and check the water occasionally if needed .

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/20 06:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am thinking that SOME converters may cause issue with 12v items when there is no battery hooked up, but plugged into shore power. Yes, I know a residential dehumidifier is not 12v. Maybe things like the stereo/weather radio, or CO/propane alarm, that stay live?

Jerry

blofgren

Surrey, B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/20 06:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why not disconnect the batteries and unplug the converter? The 12V system would be dead but no worries about the batteries then.

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, RAM 20k sliding hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Michelle.S

Western NY till fall, then Sebring, FL

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/20 06:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Find the info on your Converter/Charger, some units have Smart Chargers that do a good job of maintaining the Battery/ies without over charging them. Or you could just turn off the breaker for the converter/charger.

2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/20 07:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

I am thinking that SOME converters may cause issue with 12v items when there is no battery hooked up, but plugged into shore power. Yes, I know a residential dehumidifier is not 12v. Maybe things like the stereo/weather radio, or CO/propane alarm, that stay live?

Jerry

Yeah...I found this out the hard way. Not all converters are created equal when keeping the batts charged properly all winter (6-7 months).
I pull my RV trailer/boat/zero turn batts and move them up to the garage that gets cold but never freezes and keep a 1.5v charger on each one.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/20 06:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

Keep a trickle charger on the battery to prevent freezing.

A lead acid that is at lest 50% state of charge will not freeze until well below 0F.

jkwilson wrote:

An amp or amp and a half battery tender will keep it charged. If cold enough, you can just leave the battery unhooked.

I am of the opnion, that for long term (over a month) storage, a lead acid battery should not be left on ANY charger, 24/7. Buy a cheap mechanical lamp timer and hook the charger to that. 4-8 hours/day is plenty.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> winter vs battery
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.