Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Need some advice, gearing/fuel mileage.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Need some advice, gearing/fuel mileage.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev
SweetLou

La Quinta, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/20 06:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

"I am. Personally I don't go through any more fuel than the average bear."

Same here. Amazing tho how many people trip over nickels!!!

Yup, they forget totally about functionality and reliability. So it cost me $3-4 more bucks to get somewhere towing. Big deal, I can do with out that starbucks anyway. If it is that important to someone, cut your speed down, gear it right, and move on.

2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/01/20 09:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MikeRP wrote:

Escalades are one of the best values on the used market. In three years that $90000 Caddy will be worth $35,000. It can run 300000 miles also but it won’t do that with the first owner. I’d bet 90% of those first owners never see 100,000 miles.

I am a low miles guy. I have purchased quite a few new vehicles. I have never put 50K on any of them. I have only replaced the tires on one vehicle, at 48K, and traded it shortly after. I have a long time family friend, that owns 2 Ford dealerships, a Ram/Jeep dealership, and a Chevrolet dealership. The farthest is 100 miles from me. He and his two sons, own/operate these businesses. They give me a family friend discount, on new vehicle, as well as a more than fair trade on my used. I normally own a car, SUV, and a truck, so mileage is spread out.

I've never worried about mpg, and usually use non-ethanol premium in my truck, always when towing heavy. I do notice the mileage on the display, but never calculate otherwise.

All above, just my experience, doesn't mean I'm doing things right!

Jerry

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/20 11:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

MikeRP wrote:

Escalades are one of the best values on the used market. In three years that $90000 Caddy will be worth $35,000. It can run 300000 miles also but it won’t do that with the first owner. I’d bet 90% of those first owners never see 100,000 miles.

I am a low miles guy. I have purchased quite a few new vehicles. I have never put 50K on any of them. I have only replaced the tires on one vehicle, at 48K, and traded it shortly after. I have a long time family friend, that owns 2 Ford dealerships, a Ram/Jeep dealership, and a Chevrolet dealership. The farthest is 100 miles from me. He and his two sons, own/operate these businesses. They give me a family friend discount, on new vehicle, as well as a more than fair trade on my used. I normally own a car, SUV, and a truck, so mileage is spread out.

I've never worried about mpg, and usually use non-ethanol premium in my truck, always when towing heavy. I do notice the mileage on the display, but never calculate otherwise.

Jerry

A true radical!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/01/20 11:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

MFL wrote:

MikeRP wrote:

Jerry

A true radical!

Well...this can be taken several ways! Coming from a person with similar convictions, likely a compliment!

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/20 06:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yessir it was a compliment.

BackOfThePack

Fort Worth

View Profile

Posted: 11/06/20 02:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

otrfun wrote:

4x4ord wrote:

According to the BSFC map for the 6.7 Cummins that Shiner posted on another thread the 3.42 pulling in 5th vs 4.10 in sixth yield very similar MPG while towing. 3.42's should yield close to 10% better fuel economy while running empty at virtually any highway speed. Again, according to the same BSFC map, towing with 3.73 gears at 65 mph should offer a slight advantage in MPG over either 3.42's or 4.10's. Empty the 3.73 will fall half way between 3.42's and 4.10's . . .
"3.42's should yield close to 10% better fuel economy while running empty at virtually any highway speed" vs. a 4.10. Interesting. Not what I've experienced.

Are you making these observations based on BSFC maps of the crankshaft output of a Cummins in conjunction with gearing charts?

Or, are your observations based on BSFC maps formulated and based on on-the-road tests of production-ready, OEM Ram trucks? If so, I'd be very interested in seeing these. Could you supply a link? Thanks.

Like I said, my numbers are based off the BSFC map that Shiner had posted. I just got back from making 2 highway trips where I was able to set the cruise at 45 mph and drive uninterrupted for both trips. The first round trip was performed in 6th gear at about 1100 rpm and the truck got 28.3 mpg. The second trip was performed in 5th gear at about 1400 rpm where it got 25.3 mpg. I would challenge you to do something similar with your Ram ..... I'd be absolutely amazed if the Cummins engine doesn't give very similar results.

2004 555 CTD QC LB NV-5600
1990 35’ Silver Streak

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/20 10:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Yessir it was a compliment.

Don’t get talkin about ‘spensive fuel too much. Some here get pretty triggered over it!!
Lol

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

C Schomer

Pueblo West, Co.

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/20 09:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had two DRW trucks with a 4.10 gears and my 12 DRW has 3.73 gears and I am really liking them. They handle my 15KRV fine in the Colorado mountains and they are great for my occasional unloaded highway trips. Craig

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Need some advice, gearing/fuel mileage.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.