Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Need some advice, gearing/fuel mileage.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Need some advice, gearing/fuel mileage.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/20 08:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

"Frankly, I don't concern myself with fuel mileage. If I did, I wouldn't be towing in the first place."

Same here!!!

I look at it the other way ... because I use a whole bunch of fuel I do concern myself with fuel mileage. 10% of a whole bunch is quite a bit of money.

You are talking business use.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/20 08:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MikeRP wrote:

So I kinda agree with both of you. When I’m looking at buying I’m trying to consider maintenance and operations costs. In my area, Ram is cheaper for oil changes and fuel filter changes. We know Ford has raised the game with the ten speed tranny on fuel mileage.

Capital cost seems on top of each other even with my trade. So I lost this truck, sold the day after I looked at it. It’s a dealers dream time.

But after ya buy it, who cares about the fuel mileage? I agree! And maintenance for that matter. Ya just take care of it.

This has been a good thread for me! Thanks

Lift the hood on all three. Nuff said.

blofgren

Surrey, B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/20 08:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

MikeRP wrote:

So I kinda agree with both of you. When I’m looking at buying I’m trying to consider maintenance and operations costs. In my area, Ram is cheaper for oil changes and fuel filter changes. We know Ford has raised the game with the ten speed tranny on fuel mileage.

Capital cost seems on top of each other even with my trade. So I lost this truck, sold the day after I looked at it. It’s a dealers dream time.

But after ya buy it, who cares about the fuel mileage? I agree! And maintenance for that matter. Ya just take care of it.

This has been a good thread for me! Thanks

Lift the hood on all three. Nuff said.

Totally agree. Order the same truck you test drove with 3.73's and be happy. [emoticon]

I was playing with the build tool on Ram's website and it appears 3.42's aren't even offered anymore so you are choosing between 3.73's and 4.10's now.

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, RAM 20k sliding hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/20 11:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

4x4ord wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

"Frankly, I don't concern myself with fuel mileage. If I did, I wouldn't be towing in the first place."

Same here!!!

I look at it the other way ... because I use a whole bunch of fuel I do concern myself with fuel mileage. 10% of a whole bunch is quite a bit of money.

You are talking business use.

I am. Personally I don't go through any more fuel than the average bear.

2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/31/20 05:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

"Pulling a trailer in Cali is extremely frustrating."

That's you, KSSS. 55 mph is safer...you see more...you save on gasoline.

Yeah...except no.
- Safest is when traffic is all going at about the same speed. Running 20mph below average you are a rolling roadblock that will tend to cause more accidents.
- 55 vs 60-65...if I want to see something, I pull off and look.
- I actually get better MPG as 60-65 vs 55. The combination of engine and transmission is operating with enough extra efficiency to overcome the increase in wind drag.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/20 08:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"I am. Personally I don't go through any more fuel than the average bear."

Same here. Amazing tho how many people trip over nickels!!!

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/20 08:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Yeah, and how they are more than willing to spend dollars elsewhere!

Like how my wife's cousin who thought it was stupid for me to spend money on modifying my truck yet just spent over $90k on a new top of the line Escalade. Total cost of my truck and mods are no where near $90k and I am keeping mine for at least 300k miles while he is probably going to keep his for maybe 100k.

MikeRP

Westerville

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/31/20 08:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Yeah, and how they are more than willing to spend dollars elsewhere!

Like how my wife's cousin who thought it was stupid for me to spend money on modifying my truck yet just spent over $90k on a new top of the line Escalade. Total cost of my truck and mods are no where near $90k and I am keeping mine for at least 300k miles while he is probably going to keep his for maybe 100k.

Escalades are one of the best values on the used market. In three years that $90000 Caddy will be worth $35,000. It can run 300000 miles also but it won’t do that with the first owner. I’d bet 90% of those first owners never see 100,000 miles.

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/20 08:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Decide where in the RPM range you will spend the most time towing and running empty or not towing

Then decide which of the two is more important

Then get the HP/torque curve & final hearing to pavement for your ICE.

The lowest RPM for the HP you will need for the above will tell you what diff ratio best suits your desires

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/20 04:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

otrfun wrote:

4x4ord wrote:

According to the BSFC map for the 6.7 Cummins that Shiner posted on another thread the 3.42 pulling in 5th vs 4.10 in sixth yield very similar MPG while towing. 3.42's should yield close to 10% better fuel economy while running empty at virtually any highway speed. Again, according to the same BSFC map, towing with 3.73 gears at 65 mph should offer a slight advantage in MPG over either 3.42's or 4.10's. Empty the 3.73 will fall half way between 3.42's and 4.10's . . .
"3.42's should yield close to 10% better fuel economy while running empty at virtually any highway speed" vs. a 4.10. Interesting. Not what I've experienced.

Are you making these observations based on BSFC maps of the crankshaft output of a Cummins in conjunction with gearing charts?

Or, are your observations based on BSFC maps formulated and based on on-the-road tests of production-ready, OEM Ram trucks? If so, I'd be very interested in seeing these. Could you supply a link? Thanks.

Like I said, my numbers are based off the BSFC map that Shiner had posted. I just got back from making 2 highway trips where I was able to set the cruise at 45 mph and drive uninterrupted for both trips. The first round trip was performed in 6th gear at about 1100 rpm and the truck got 28.3 mpg. The second trip was performed in 5th gear at about 1400 rpm where it got 25.3 mpg. I would challenge you to do something similar with your Ram ..... I'd be absolutely amazed if the Cummins engine doesn't give very similar results.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Need some advice, gearing/fuel mileage.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.