Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Should I get a new Tow Vehicle or a Bigger Gas Tank?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Should I get a new Tow Vehicle or a Bigger Gas Tank?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/20 10:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get a Ford SD with 48 gallon tank.....more pee breaks without fueling.

DougA

Upstate NY

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/20 09:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After our trip thru VT, NH and Maine I decided to upgrade to a bigger more powerful truck instead of a bigger tank in the Frontier. A bigger tank won't make the Frontier quieter or give it more power for the hills, which makes for a really tedious long drive. I've ordered a nice Ram 1500 with Ecodiesel, crew cab, short bed, 33 gallon tank and tow package. Why? More power, mileage, torque. The generation 3 ecodiesel has been on the road for two years and is getting great reviews and better reliability ratings. Crew cab gets me the larger 33 gallon diesel tank. Can't get a 33 gallon diesel tank on the Quad Cab because there isn't enough room for the DEF. Now if only COVID doesn't close down production.

Doug & Patti & Puppy Leo
From Upstate New York

Devo the dog

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/20 11:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DougA wrote:

So there you have it... get a bigger truck or bigger gas tank in the current one?

If money isn't a concern, shop around and decide which manufacture you like best. Then order the truck you want. Keep in mind, delivery times are much longer due to the Corona.

If you don't want to buy a new truck to replace a truck that's only 1 year old, put in the larger fuel tank. The added weight from the fuel will only be 107 lbs and you are still a few hundred pounds under payload capacity.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/20 11:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm in the new truck camp. But I would say get the best deal you can find.
How much is the new truck actually going to cost vs. larger tank.
Is it 5K for new truck vs. 2300 for a new tank.
Go kick some tires and find where the real numbers lie.
The final decision maybe a no brainer.
$? for a new truck vs. 2,300 for a new tank?
Shop all the truck brands you like, let the deal make the decision

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/20 12:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you're not happy with what you have, why not buy what you want? If it's about saving money, throw a jerry can in the bed of your truck so you don't get nervous running on the last 1/8 of a tank.

2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/20 01:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BurbMan wrote:

You're close enough to the limits of the truck now that I'm betting that you won't like how it handles with the bigger tank full of fuel, and will look to upgrade after spending $2300 on the new tank.

This is exactly my line of thinking too.

Plus, in a a few years you might have the urge to buy a bigger TT, which for sure requires a bigger truck.

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2018 Timber Ridge 24RLS (bought pre-owned 3/12/20)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/21/20 02:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Doesn't anyone read the previous posts?
The OP posted 4 1/2 hours ago, that they decided on buying a Ram 1500 Ecodiesel with a 33 gallon tank.
Jeeezzz![emoticon]

Dan- Firefighter, Retired">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

LanceRKeys

Amarillo, TX

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/20 08:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Now the wait for a review after the first tow....

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/20 11:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bikendan wrote:

Doesn't anyone read the previous posts?
The OP posted 4 1/2 hours ago, that they decided on buying a Ram 1500 Ecodiesel with a 33 gallon tank.
Jeeezzz![emoticon]

Right?? Lol

Congrats OP!! That’s quite the upgrade!

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Bionic Man

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/20 12:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DougA wrote:

After our trip thru VT, NH and Maine I decided to upgrade to a bigger more powerful truck instead of a bigger tank in the Frontier. A bigger tank won't make the Frontier quieter or give it more power for the hills, which makes for a really tedious long drive. I've ordered a nice Ram 1500 with Ecodiesel, crew cab, short bed, 33 gallon tank and tow package. Why? More power, mileage, torque. The generation 3 ecodiesel has been on the road for two years and is getting great reviews and better reliability ratings. Crew cab gets me the larger 33 gallon diesel tank. Can't get a 33 gallon diesel tank on the Quad Cab because there isn't enough room for the DEF. Now if only COVID doesn't close down production.

I think you will really be happy with your choice. Eager to hear your impressions after a trip.

I have the older version of the EcoDiesel in a 2014 Grand Cherokee. That engine, coupled with the ZF 8 speed is just a great combo. It might be my favorite vehicle of all I have ever owned.

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Should I get a new Tow Vehicle or a Bigger Gas Tank?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.