Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fiat/Chrysler says they will be making an Electric Ram.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Fiat/Chrysler says they will be making an Electric Ram.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Reisender

NA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/09/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/29/20 07:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like Ram has thrown its hat into the EV half ton ring.

https://electrek.co/2020/10/28/fiat-chrysler-ram-electric-pickup-truck/

ShinerBock

SATX

Senior Member

Joined: 02/22/2015

View Profile



Posted: 10/29/20 07:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't believe that is correct. His exact words were "electrified" pickup which technically they already have with the E-Torque system. Huge difference between electric and electrified. A Tesla is electric while a Prius is electrified.

Hey, media, get it straight: "electrifie........e difference matters - Green Car Reports

Reisender

NA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/09/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/29/20 08:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:

I don't believe that is correct. His exact words were "electrified" pickup which technically they already have with the E-Torque system. Huge difference between electric and electrified. A Tesla is electric while a Prius is electrified.

Hey, media, get it straight: "electrifie........e difference matters - Green Car Reports


Good catch. Didn’t notice that. Well, maybe one will lead to the other. You would think they would eventually want to go down that path though as any vehicle with a tail pipe will start to see a smaller sales market within 14 years though.

Cheers.

wilber1

Abbotsford B.C.

Senior Member

Joined: 12/16/2002

View Profile



Posted: 10/29/20 02:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It will be interesting to see what they will do, the merger with PSA should generate lots of new possibilities.

Electrified can also mean converting a conventional vehicle to electric, as in the Hyundai Kona EV. It is still an EV.


"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

Senior Member

Joined: 03/23/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/29/20 02:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The truck will be either a plug in hybrid like the Pacifica, or a full in electric. They just haven’t decided yet. I’m guessing it will be full on electric.
But it is happening!
FCA has the $$$$ to Invest now That their 3rd quarter earnings show a profit of 1.4B! So we will
See what they come up with over the next year!


Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!


Reisender

NA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/09/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/29/20 03:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

The truck will be either a plug in hybrid like the Pacifica, or a full in electric. They just haven’t decided yet. I’m guessing it will be full on electric.
But it is happening!
FCA has the $$$$ to Invest now That their 3rd quarter earnings show a profit of 1.4B! So we will
See what they come up with over the next year!


It will take a significant commitment though. GM is finding this out with their Ultium battery factory. Battery production capacity is everything for full up EV production. I suspect FCA will be paying a lot of money to Tesla for the next few years. And maybe that’s the right business model for them. Although sooner or later it will be illegal to sell anything with a tail pipe. Or even drive it into a city which is already getting common in Europe.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2009

View Profile



Posted: 10/30/20 06:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

It will take a significant commitment though. GM is finding this out with their Ultium battery factory. Battery production capacity is everything for full up EV production. I suspect FCA will be paying a lot of money to Tesla for the next few years. And maybe that’s the right business model for them. Although sooner or later it will be illegal to sell anything with a tail pipe. Or even drive it into a city which is already getting common in Europe.


Battery production for large scale production of EVs is the biggest limitation for manufacturers (beyond actually getting people to buy them).

A plug in hybrid goes a long way to solve this. The battery bank to provide a 30mile range is 1/10th the size of a bank that will provide 300mile range, so for the same battery supply, they can outfit 10 times as many trucks.

A plug in hybrid is a bit more complicated but they've already worked out most of the details on smaller vehicles and those other parts are better under the manufacturers control to ramp up production numbers.


Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er


Reisender

NA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/09/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/30/20 07:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Reisender wrote:

It will take a significant commitment though. GM is finding this out with their Ultium battery factory. Battery production capacity is everything for full up EV production. I suspect FCA will be paying a lot of money to Tesla for the next few years. And maybe that’s the right business model for them. Although sooner or later it will be illegal to sell anything with a tail pipe. Or even drive it into a city which is already getting common in Europe.


Battery production for large scale production of EVs is the biggest limitation for manufacturers (beyond actually getting people to buy them).

A plug in hybrid goes a long way to solve this. The battery bank to provide a 30mile range is 1/10th the size of a bank that will provide 300mile range, so for the same battery supply, they can outfit 10 times as many trucks.

A plug in hybrid is a bit more complicated but they've already worked out most of the details on smaller vehicles and those other parts are better under the manufacturers control to ramp up production numbers.


Agreed. The test drive will be key. Will people want the hybrid with a tail pipe, higher operating costs and likely poorer performance over the full BEV? Time will tell. But in the car market at least, full BEV growth is outpacing PHEV in many regions now.

IdaD

Idaho

Senior Member

Joined: 08/06/2014

View Profile



Posted: 10/30/20 08:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A Chrysler with complicated electrical components? I don't see what could possibly go wrong.


2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB


valhalla360

No paticular place.

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2009

View Profile



Posted: 10/30/20 08:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

Reisender wrote:

It will take a significant commitment though. GM is finding this out with their Ultium battery factory. Battery production capacity is everything for full up EV production. I suspect FCA will be paying a lot of money to Tesla for the next few years. And maybe that’s the right business model for them. Although sooner or later it will be illegal to sell anything with a tail pipe. Or even drive it into a city which is already getting common in Europe.


Battery production for large scale production of EVs is the biggest limitation for manufacturers (beyond actually getting people to buy them).

A plug in hybrid goes a long way to solve this. The battery bank to provide a 30mile range is 1/10th the size of a bank that will provide 300mile range, so for the same battery supply, they can outfit 10 times as many trucks.

A plug in hybrid is a bit more complicated but they've already worked out most of the details on smaller vehicles and those other parts are better under the manufacturers control to ramp up production numbers.


Agreed. The test drive will be key. Will people want the hybrid with a tail pipe, higher operating costs and likely poorer performance over the full BEV? Time will tell. But in the car market at least, full BEV growth is outpacing PHEV in many regions now.


Time will tell but outside purists, most won't care if it has a tail pipe. I suspect the truck market will be less about the purist and more about the practicality. Most pickups are used as commuter cars with an occasional longer weekend trip or pickup up some mulch at the garden center type use. PHEV would be a perfect match for that.

Operating costs and performance is unlikely to be significantly different. Modern ICE are incredibly reliable and major repairs are rare. No reason to expect anything less of the ICE in a PHEV. Assuming it's mostly used for commuting, you will likely be looking at a $25 oil change once a year (maybe every 2-3years) for at least a decade. Performance as measured by range, will be an easy sell for the PHEV. No reason to expect worse acceleration for PHEV (heck modern trucks are so massively overpowered, it's silly regardless of power train). BEV Cars sales are still anemic and mostly a function of govt rules and kickbacks favoring BEV over PHEV.

None of the manufacturers are going to risk their flagship 1/2ton pickup lines with an anemic truck in terms of acceleration...BEV or PHEV. Too much at stake if it's a slug.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Fiat/Chrysler says they will be making an Electric Ram.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.