Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: RV sitting for two to three weeks in 10 degree weather
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> RV sitting for two to three weeks in 10 degree weather

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/29/20 09:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes you need to winterize everything.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

PartyOf Five

Wheaton, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/29/20 09:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One night in freezing temperature could give you a crack in a pipe, like we got in the tub drain of our shower. You would think the water would freeze and come upward through the pipe...

PartyOf5: Us 2 & 3 pre-teens trying to connect, learn, appreciate creation & the Creator. 5 yrs, 50k

May you find Peace in all that you endeavor

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/29/20 10:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PartyOf Five wrote:

One night in freezing temperature could give you a crack in a pipe, like we got in the tub drain of our shower. You would think the water would freeze and come upward through the pipe...
Water freezes from the top surface down. Same as a lake. In a pipe the ice forms a cap and the bottom will burst at the weak point.

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/20 10:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If a dump valve should freeze a little , a hair dryer is your friend.

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/20 10:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not necessary to fill the gray/black tanks with RVAF. You just want to cover the bottom and the exit drain to the dump valves.
If you can empty all of your tanks, leaving the low point and main fresh water tank, and gray/black tank valves open. That leaves a path for water to freeze along if it decides to freeze. You can then use your water pump to blow out the lines. The ShurFlo pumps are made to run dry for a long time. Run yours for an hour or so, then shut it off. Close the gray/black dump valves. Then I would pour about a gallon in total, into all the galley/bathroom sinks, the shower drain, and let some sit on top of the toilet bowl flush valve. If you have a water filter somewhere, make sure you empty it, too. Is it really going to be that cold for days and days that close to Albuquerque? I'm not a climatologist.

Mike.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/20 01:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't even think about NOT winterizing.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/20 02:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cmccain13 wrote:

Sandia Man wrote:

Best to plan on winterizing, your unit is new to you and unless you know how it will hold up in those temps you should take every precaution. We live in NM and unless there is a major storm going through daytime temps usually rise above freezing most winter days. I have always just blown out my water lines adding a bit of antifreeze to sinks, toilet, and shower.

Works for us, but I know our rig's capabilities very well, no issues over last 20 years, plus we are always ready at a moment's notice to head south to AZ or TX for a quick respite from winter if we feel the urge. Good luck, hope your journey for the next couple of years in your new Class C goes well and is everything you imagined it would be.

we will be in the sandia mountains, but it sounds like its going to be a bad idea since this is my first time in an RV. when you say put anti freeze in the tanks you mean fill them up?

LOL, funny Sandia Man replied!

So, OP AND all the professional RVers here, pump the brakes for a minute.
First, yes if you're locking the door and letting it sit there for a month in the winter, it should be winterized. Second, that is EASY. figure it out now, don't be a rveetard. Blow the lines out, drain the tanks and drop a little pink juice in the traps/tanks. Then when you're ready to hit the road, filler up and go!
Third, like Sandia Man said (I lived in Edgewood for a while), it "generally" gets above freezing most days and very sunny. Not warm enough to lock the door and just hope it don't freeze, but likely enough to keep it heated and not "have" to winterize. He!!, you may want to live in it after a couple weeks, I mean days, with the mother in law! From your post, sounds like it's gonna be parked at the house where you're staying.
4th. Have fun! I loved living up there and winters are awesome if/when there's snow!

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Monaramblee

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/20 03:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Either completely winterize it or do nothing. Simply draining the low drain points gives you zero protection. If using air you need to blow every drop of water out. I would use antifreeze to be safe.

2008 Holiday rambler Vacationer XL
340 HP Cummins

wolfe10

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/20 04:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As others have explained, doesn't matter if you have a hard freeze for one over-night or 50, if you don't winterize, things will CRACK! PERIOD!

Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Charles2222

Cochran

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/29/20 04:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Me thinks it would be better to just drive your car up there for four weeks and go back home and get the RV,then head out on your trip

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> RV sitting for two to three weeks in 10 degree weather
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.