Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: RV sitting for two to three weeks in 10 degree weather
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> RV sitting for two to three weeks in 10 degree weather

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/20 08:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You need to completely winterize, and remove all food and toiletries that can freeze.

This is a good checklist for winterizing. Except turn off the water heater FIRST.

Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

PatJ

Eastern WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/20 10:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with those that say do a full winterize with pink antifreeze through each fixture, hot and cold and in the traps. "Blowing Out" has its place, I do it after each spring trip for those nights where the temps dip down to ~30f overnight low (and maybe 55 daytime.) You are talking about 10f and I assume possibly not warming above freezing during the day. Unless you are planning to leave the heat on, blowing out alone won't help you, you need a full winterize with the pink stuff in my opinion.

You shouldn't need to pour it in the fresh tank if you have a place to hook up to winterize. Make sure to bypass your water heater. I can do my whole rig with 2 gallons. Don't forget the outside shower and low point drains.

Patrick

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/20 11:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For 10 f, full winterizing is a must do.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/20 12:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PatJ wrote:

I agree with those that say do a full winterize with pink antifreeze through each fixture, hot and cold and in the traps. "Blowing Out" has its place, I do it after each spring trip for those nights where the temps dip down to ~30f overnight low (and maybe 55 daytime.) You are talking about 10f and I assume possibly not warming above freezing during the day. Unless you are planning to leave the heat on, blowing out alone won't help you, you need a full winterize with the pink stuff in my opinion.

I respectfully disagree about blowing out the lines being insufficient for 10 degree weather; if done properly, it's every bit as safe as pumping antifreeze, as air doesn't freeze and expand. If your blowing out is okay for 30 degree lows but not for 10 degree lows, it stands to reason that the blowing out of the lines was not necessary for the brief nighttime dips below freezing at 30 degrees as the water in the pipes isn't losing enough heat to freeze during the few hours of cold.

I've gone through several Vermont winters, which usually have a number of below zero days, and have always blown out the pipes and used antifreeze only in the traps. I've had zero problems with the plumbing--no leaks, no breaks.

hoosiermark

Batesville ,Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/20 04:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You might want to consider your alternatives to this. Find a climate controlled storage for a month, leave the RV in warmer place and rent a van or car for the time needed, as mentioned travel by car and then go back and get it. All kinds of options if you check into things. Since you will not be using it during the time period you have options other then winterizing it. But unless you plan to always be in warm weather, it might be good to get some heating pads and things to make it a four season unit in the long run.

whemme

Spencer, IA

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/20 04:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As an owner of a motorhome you should know how to winterize it properly. Just use your owner’s manual and use common sense. If you are asking if you need to fill the 3 tanks with pink RV antifreeze you are not using common sense. If you don’t know how to winterize, please take your unit to an RV dealer and have them show you how to do it. Then the next important thing is make sure they show how to un-winterize it next spring.

I had a friend that had a RV dealer winterize his motorhome and did not watch the procedure used. In the spring not knowing how to un-winterize it, he just started by filling his fresh water tank. He ended up flooding the whole interior with water.

* This post was edited 10/31/20 08:00pm by whemme *

2002 Born Free 26' RSB Motorcoach
2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS Toad

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/20 02:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DrewE wrote:

PatJ wrote:

I respectfully disagree about blowing out the lines being insufficient for 10 degree weather; if done properly, it's every bit as safe as pumping antifreeze, as air doesn't freeze and expand. If your blowing out is okay for 30 degree lows but not for 10 degree lows, it stands to reason that the blowing out of the lines was not necessary for the brief nighttime dips below freezing at 30 degrees as the water in the pipes isn't losing enough heat to freeze during the few hours of cold.

I've gone through several Vermont winters, which usually have a number of below zero days, and have always blown out the pipes and used antifreeze only in the traps. I've had zero problems with the plumbing--no leaks, no breaks.

^What he said. Adding AF to the water lines is just more id10t proof.
But hey, the OP hasn't been back, sooo.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

ybconway

Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/20 07:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did ours for the first time this year. Probably way over done but once you find all the cubies where the valves are it shouldn't be a problem. My unit has a extra pick up tube to the pump that you stick in the antifreeze jug and pump it around to all the fixtures. The worst was trying to find the drain for the fresh water. Was ready to take a jig saw to the bed frame.

garyhaupt

Penticton, BC..land of wine, sun, retirees....

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/20 08:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So many people fear the word..'winterize'. It is not a big deal And even if lines are blown, ant-freeze is cheap.

There are things to know...where drains are for your tanks, and lines and where to isolate your hot water tank. You really don't want to guess..the damage could be costly. Once you have been shown...the actual doing of it is quick.

Don't forget to pull the anode rod out of the hot water tank. That tank will split wide open.

Go find a buddy that can show you how/where to find all the drains and so on...and where to put in the anti-freeze. Or take it to an RV shop..but insist that they show you, so you know for next time.

Where you are parking it? Is there a power source? Run in a ceramic heater...open all the doors and cupboards and let the heater just run. You still need to winterize it...what if powers goes off...but it will thank you for the love.

Gary Haupt

I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

PatJ

Eastern WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/20 10:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DrewE wrote:

I respectfully disagree about blowing out the lines being insufficient for 10 degree weather; if done properly, it's every bit as safe as pumping antifreeze, as air doesn't freeze and expand.

My neighbor, who has lived across the street from me for many years, and whose RV has experienced the exact same conditions as my RV for many years, would agree with Drew 100%. My neighbors success with blowing out is 100%. His toy hauler is much larger, "fancier," and more complex than my class C, and he has more plumbing fixtures. And we get very cold here, -20f nights with 0f days is not unheard of.

But my neighbor still buys two gallons of pink antifreeze to pour in all his traps. I winterize my entire rig with the same amount, so zero additional cost for me to be 100% certain. Two gallons of the pink and after pumping through the system, it flows in to the traps to protect them as well.

It is all personal preference. But if you flow pink through everything you can't go wrong IMO.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> RV sitting for two to three weeks in 10 degree weather
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.