cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water heater check valve

Jetstreamer
Explorer
Explorer
I always winterize by blowing out lines then putting enough propylene glycol in the water tank to properly run enough through my wash machine. I went to bypass the water heater and when I turned the pump on I could still hear something filling in the heater tank....
Quickly realized the check valve was leaking.
Had I not happened to hear that I would have wondered where all my antifreeze went to after completely filling the water heater...
My rig is 15 years old something to think about replacing that check valve....
5 REPLIES 5

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Jetstreamer wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
If you blow out, why do you not blow out the Washer also?????? What you do is, install a 1/2 gallon of antifreeze in the washer, set the water temp to Warm/Cold. Then when blowing out start a wash cycle. You will hear the 2 water valves blow air after the lines are purged and when the dump cycle activates, the antifreeze will go thru the drain pump. A lot easier. Doug

Thanks Doug Iโ€™ll consider that. I was just following manufacturers instructions.

I am a RV technician. That is how I winterize washers for almost 30 years. Doug

Jetstreamer
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
If you blow out, why do you not blow out the Washer also?????? What you do is, install a 1/2 gallon of antifreeze in the washer, set the water temp to Warm/Cold. Then when blowing out start a wash cycle. You will hear the 2 water valves blow air after the lines are purged and when the dump cycle activates, the antifreeze will go thru the drain pump. A lot easier. Doug

Thanks Doug Iโ€™ll consider that. I was just following manufacturers instructions.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have access/room get RID of that check valve and install a manual shut off valve

Your water source must be pretty good for that check valve to have not caused issues before
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
My rig is 10 years old and I am on my 3rd check valve. Yours did well.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500