Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: General Question on Size
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> General Question on Size

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/20 04:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Blazing Zippers wrote:

Please don't roast me on this---but, in almost 50,000 miles of pulling a trailer, I've never seen a Cadillac as a tow vehicle. They do make a great toad behind a motorhome though.
See ya out there.

Back in the day, Cadillac's and other large sedans were very common tow vehicles. Big V-8's and Reese hitches made them comfortable and competent tow vehicles. This was in the days before fuel mileage became so important.

Tyler0215

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/20 07:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You are overloading the Escalade. How many people? How much stuff in the SUV.Whats the tongue weight of the trailer?
Do you have LT tires? Probably not.
Look at the door sticker on the driver side door post for the cargo capacity. Everything you put inside the vehicle is cargo, passengers included. Escalades are made for comfort, not hauling.
Your Escalade may work fine for a tow vehicle, but not as it is now. At a minimum you will need a weight distribution hitch with sway control, brake control and LT tires.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/20 07:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rexlion wrote:

You need to take your rig to a CAT scale. Weigh the truck and weigh the trailer. Also find out the hitch weight. Actual numbers count the most.

Ultimately, this is the be best option.

I did a quick online check and it shows you have a payload of 1500lb.
- At 7800lb, you are likely looking at a 900-1000lb hitch weight on the truck. Ideal is 12-15%. Too low tends to induce sway. (837lb you quoted is presumably the empty hitch weight...add carto and it goes up)
- Add 100lb for the hitch.
- Add any other bolt on stuff (Cadillacs love to add stuff, so likely somewhere on the order of 300lb)
- Add the weight of the people in the truck (Assume family of 3 with average weight of 150lb...for 450lb)
- Add any other cargo in the truck, coolers, fire wood, bikes, etc.. (say 300lb)

So that will have you at around 2000lb used out of a 1500lb payload. With a 420hp engine, you have plenty of pull. Your suspension is overloaded (which doesn't help with sway). If you are swaying, you do have a serious problem with the tow setup. A WDH will help some but may be masking other issues.

Since you have the truck and trailer, no need to estimate. Load up as if you are going on a trip and take it to the nearest truck stop with a CAT scale. Google youtube before you go to see how it works. There are typically 3 pads at the scale. You want the front and rear axles of the truck on separate pads and the trailer axles on the 3rd pad. You will do 3 weighs:
- First measure with the trailer hooked up and WDH in operation.
- Second, disconnect the torsion bars from the WDH and do a reweigh.
- Finally, disconnect the trailer and weigh the truck

The prices may vary a little but typically $14 for the initial weigh and $2.50 for each reweigh. This will give you the real weights and allow you to determine the actual hitch weights and percentage hitch weight. On the weight stickers (truck and trailer) there are gross and axle weight limits. The hitch also has a limit.

Bring those back and I'll give you 100-1 odds, you are overweight on at least some of the numbers.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/20 07:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One other thought...it's really odd the dealer didn't sell you a WDH. They aren't cheap, so it's a nice extra profit to throw in at the end of the deal.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/20 09:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP, just fix the swaying....if it’s actually swaying and not just how a trailer generally behaves. Sounds like your experience with towing is very limited and with that your expectations may be out of line a bit.
Does it bottom out your air suspension? If not, it ain’t overloading the back of your rig.
Have you hooked up the wdh and sway? Your post is unclear if your issue is just a “before” issue or an “after” issue as well.
Yes, you’re at the upper end of the “ratings” of your Escalade, mostly because the Esc is a very soft plush suspension vehicle. That said, it absolutely has the length, mass and power to tow that trailer competently, regardless of what the rvnet weight police say.

Provide some more info if you wish, and then wade through the plethora of “you need a HD pickup” responses, if you need more info or suggestions.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/20 10:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

One other thought...it's really odd the dealer didn't sell you a WDH. They aren't cheap, so it's a nice extra profit to throw in at the end of the deal.

Maybe the dealer wanted to get the buyer as far away as fast as he could? I was mildly insulted when a dealer recently evaluated the suitability of my tow vehicle, but all should at least ask.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/30/20 10:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You are at the very max and could be a bit over the ratings depending how the vehicle and trailer are loaded. Yes anything above 5000 pounds generally needs a weight distribution hitch with sway control. These can be tricky to dial in and balance everything correctly. Read the instructions multiple times. If you have a pro set it up you should still double check the work as you are ultimately responsible. What brake controller did you get? I recommend the Prodigy P3.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/30/20 10:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Yes and the sale is easier to wrap the cost into the trailer loan.

bpounds

Sophmore Brain...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/30/20 10:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think you're probably okay, and I take it you haven't towed it yet with the new hitch. Get out there and try it. Proper adjustment of a WDH is critical, and maybe not ideal for a first timer to try to follow instruction. Maybe seek out professional help for that???

One thing going against you is the soft suspension and tires on an Escalade. It is designed for that soft luxury ride, not for towing. Some good light truck tires would be an improvement, but not so great for the comfy ride.

2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

CFerguson

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/20 11:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

I also find that odd. But it happened to me as well when i bought my first TT years ago. This was back in the days before massive internet information overload. Went to pick up the trailer and the service guy says "wheres your WD hitch?". I was PI**** OFF as he explained what one was and why i needed one. I thought i could tow it like a big bass boat.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> General Question on Size
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.