cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Free Natioan Park enterence

WV_Wanderer
Explorer
Explorer
I received an e-mail today saying the federal government is changing fees for all veterans and God Star families effective Nov. 11 all federal parks and BLM will have free use interence from then on. Does anyone know anything about this or is it a false news?
2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7, Auto 6sd, Prodigy 2 brake control,
Reese dual cam WDH with 1200lb bars.
2008 28ft Dutchman Classic with 20ft slide.
2016 25ft.Ventura Sporttrek
23 REPLIES 23

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not a member of any of those groups. Although there are some people and groups always trying to get me to apply for a 10% disability. I have zero interest in that. I'm just an average guy who was a captain with the air force. 1500 hours of jet time and 58 combat missions. Now back to your regular scheduled RV talk.
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
zb39 wrote:
... how the heck do I get on a base. I don't have any VA card at all. I would love to use a base campground sometime.

Base access for Exchange, Commissary and MWR campgrounds isn't authorized for all veterans. It was only available to veterans with the MoH or 100% service connected disabled.

The new change in January, also extended in person Exchange, Commissary and MWR facility access to a new group. That group is limited to Purple Heart recipients, former POWs, Veterans with a VA rated service connected disability and VA recognized PCAFC caregivers. If you're in one of those new groups, you can now have access to use those service in person.

One quick note that this is for the Veteran and does not extend the same privilege to the Veteran's family unless that person is a VA designated caregiver. Lots of Veterans have been surprised when attempting to access the base with family members. It's a bit more flexible for camping as bases usually issue a Visitor's Pass to family members for MWR purposes when the Veteran has a campsite reservation.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

Mark_and_Linda
Explorer
Explorer
I am a veteran plus I have a Military Retired ID Card. Several years ago we got our Senior Access cards for $10.00. We were told while checking in to Salt Springs in Florida that they were going up but I didn't realize that they would go up that much. My wife got hers at the National Forest HQ near Lynne, Florida for $10.00. We have used them at the Grand Canyon, Sequoia National Park and others. We use it a lot at the Army Corps Campgrounds. I guess we are fortunate to have gotten ours when we did. I guess we are double covered now.
Mark

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
For those veterans that don't have a VA health benefits card, there is a Veteran Identification Card (VIC) available that can be used in place of carrying a copy of your DD-214 with you as proof of your status.

How to apply for a Veteran ID Card
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
In PA it is on my driver lic that I'm a vet. I can't get the senior pas for 4 more years. NamMedvac70 how the heck do I get on a base. I don't have any VA card at all. I would love to use a base campground sometime.
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is additional great news for vets on top of new rules allowing vets access to military base PX, commissary and recreational facilities. Many non lifer vets sacrificed greatly for their country and are very deserving of all this.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I also got it for $10

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:
I am a veteran but also have the senior card which gives free entry to all of the above. Just used at Harpers Ferry, saved $40

The senior card will get you 50% off on campsite fees generally, so if you are eligible you would do well to pay the $80 and get it if you camp much at all in Federal facilities.

The Veteran deal is for admission only from what I read on the Department of the Interior link someone above provided. I have a senior card I bought on my 62 birthday earlier in the year they increased the fee to $80. I got up on my Bday and drove to a nearby Corp of Engineer dam project office and got it for $10 as the date of the increase had not been announced at that point.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Just to clear up whether it's only every Veteran's Day, or if it's every day beginning Veteran's Day 2020.

A direct quote:
Secretary of the Interior David Bernhardt announced the initiative 28 OCT during an event at the Iowa Gold Star Military Museum in Des Moines. โ€œWith the utmost respect and gratitude, we are granting veterans and Gold Star Families free access to the iconic and treasured lands they fought to protect starting this Veterans Day and every single day thereafter,โ€ Bernhardt said.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am a veteran but also have the senior card which gives free entry to all of the above. Just used at Harpers Ferry, saved $40

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
The Military Times article states "The policy includes admittance to well-known sites like Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming, Mount Rushmore in South Dakota, Grand Canyon National Park in Arizona and Shenandoah National Park in Virginia."

There is no fee to enter Mount Rushmore for anyone. The only fee is $10 parking fee charged by the concession that operates the parking area. Note that the parking fee is $5 for seniors, and that the fee is a one time, good for one year fee.

Whoever wrote the article was not aware that not all National Park operated facilities charge entrance fees. The most visited National Park in the country, Great Smoky Mountains NP has no entrance fee.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

caver
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks NRALIFER I wasn't aware. I know when I applied for Lowed discount they had an independent firm that checked validation. Now i just have to give them a phone number and show drivers license.

dedmiston
lots2seeinmyrv wrote:
Do not go there.

The Moderators will delete the TRUTH.

Thank you to all who served.

I agree with Entrance Fees, all other you should pay for.

What's your problem?

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
If you donโ€™t already have a Department of Defense Identification Card, or a Veteran Health Identification Card, you can apply for a Veteran ID card on the va.gov website. Youโ€™ll need to upload images of documents like drivers license, DD214, passport, etc depending on what form of ID verification you choose. The ID card just identifies you as a veteran, it doesnโ€™t signify you are eligible for any VA benefits.

Also, all 50 states and Puerto Rico offer a Veteran designation (an identifying mark) printed on state-issued driverโ€™s licenses or IDs. The type of Veteran designation may vary from state to state. If you have a Veteranโ€™s designation, you may be able to get discounts offered to Veterans at many stores, businesses, and restaurants.

Do you ever wonder how many of us veterans there are in the US? As of 2018 there were about 18 million, or about 7% of the US population.

What about active and reserve military? Care to take a guess how many? Our Active and Ready Reserve forces, about 2.5 million, is about 0.0075%โ€ฆless than one percent of the US population.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!