Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Stop gap suspension advice
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Stop gap suspension advice

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/20 02:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You don’t say how old your F350 is. If it has some age to it, replace the bed and stabilizer bushings with polyurethane. At least, make sure the bed is tight.

But, what you are feeling could be completely normal. Trucks with TCs don’t ride like cars.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Haloo

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/20 02:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

You don’t say how old your F350 is. If it has some age to it, replace the bed and stabilizer bushings with polyurethane. At least, make sure the bed is tight.

But, what you are feeling could be completely normal. Trucks with TCs don’t ride like cars.

Yep, I understand that some sway and roll come with the territory. It did for the 1200 mile drive home with the camper. After I added the helper springs there is the initial tippy thing that wasn’t there before.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/20 03:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Haloo wrote:

Yep, I understand that some sway and roll come with the territory. It did for the 1200 mile drive home with the camper. After I added the helper springs there is the initial tippy thing that wasn’t there before.

You can reload the overloads by extending your bump stops. Air bags will make the feeling worse if you put any air in them. I have air bags which are roughly equivalent to your helper springs.

I use Energy Suspension Bump Stops like these. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CNB5OU/ref=cm_sw_r_oth_tai_d7hNFbNSCEH3X

TxGearhead

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/30/20 04:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You might check and see if Roadmaster has a sway bar for your Ford.
roadmasterinc.com
Call around and checking delivery dates might be good as well. eTrailer, Tweety's, etc.

2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

mbloof

Beaverton, OR

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/20 04:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Haloo wrote:

It sounds like you now have to much spring. (to stiff?) If it rode better before I'd remove the helper springs.

I have a 9.6 on a 17' F250 and only added airbags to level out the headlights. (the 9.6 and 8.11 weigh about the same)

As you and others have mentioned, some side to side sway goes with a top heavy setup. Some of the sway will be from the suspension and some will be from sidewall flex of your tires.

Personally, the sway I was getting from the stock Ford OEM tires (rated at only 3450lbs) was to much to bear so I swapped the tires and rims for 19.5 Vision heavy hauler 81's and 265/70 Toyo M608Z's.

I have no sway bar.

Essentially I fixed my sway/handling issues with tires+rims.

YMMV.

- Mark0.

Geo*Boy

Unknown

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/20 05:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Haloo wrote:

Geo*Boy wrote:

Timbrens.

Why?

They will help to stabilize your truck with 2 more points of contact for your suspension, go with the double convolute type, FR350SDJ.

Geo*Boy

Unknown

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/20 05:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TxGearhead wrote:

roadmasterinc.com
Call around and checking delivery dates might be good as well. eTrailer, Tweety's, etc.

Roadmaster 1139-173, is the bar for your truck.

VTLee

Vermont

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/30/20 05:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Torklift upper stableloads will engage the helper springs and take out that lean and bounce back. Best thing I ever added.

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/30/20 06:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you checked the availability of KYB Monomax shocks? I have them on my 2005 Chevy dually. I used it to carry a 4,000 pound camper and thought the shocks did really well.

Haloo

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/20 06:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Geo*Boy wrote:

TxGearhead wrote:

roadmasterinc.com

Roadmaster 1139-173, is the bar for your truck.

I called Roadmaster. They don’t make a sway bar for a single rear wheel F350. Only dually. Bummer.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Stop gap suspension advice
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.