Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Stop gap suspension advice
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

 > Stop gap suspension advice

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Haloo

PNW

New Member

Joined: 10/29/2020

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/30/20 06:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KD4UPL wrote:

Have you checked the availability of KYB Monomax shocks? I have them on my 2005 Chevy dually. I used it to carry a 4,000 pound camper and thought the shocks did really well.


I called our local tire installer - Les Schwab Tires - and they mentioned the KYBs. I said I would consider them. They said they would check on availability and never called me back.

Haloo

PNW

New Member

Joined: 10/29/2020

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/30/20 06:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TxGearhead wrote:

You might check and see if Roadmaster has a sway bar for your Ford.
roadmasterinc.com
Call around and checking delivery dates might be good as well. eTrailer, Tweety's, etc.


Roadmaster doesn’t make a sway bar for my truck. I called them and asked.

I called all around the country trying to find a Hellwig Big Wig. No luck.

Haloo

PNW

New Member

Joined: 10/29/2020

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/30/20 06:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mbloof wrote:

Haloo wrote:


2019

Yep, I understand that some sway and roll come with the territory. It did for the 1200 mile drive home with the camper. After I added the helper springs there is the initial tippy thing that wasn’t there before.


It sounds like you now have to much spring. (to stiff?) If it rode better before I'd remove the helper springs.

I have a 9.6 on a 17' F250 and only added airbags to level out the headlights. (the 9.6 and 8.11 weigh about the same)

As you and others have mentioned, some side to side sway goes with a top heavy setup. Some of the sway will be from the suspension and some will be from sidewall flex of your tires.

Personally, the sway I was getting from the stock Ford OEM tires (rated at only 3450lbs) was to much to bear so I swapped the tires and rims for 19.5 Vision heavy hauler 81's and 265/70 Toyo M608Z's.

I have no sway bar.

Essentially I fixed my sway/handling issues with tires+rims.


YMMV.


- Mark0.


I’ll start with tires: I’m running LT275/65 R20 tires. These tires are E rated and have a fairly low profile. Not sure I’m getting much flex, but haven’t ruled out upgrading my wheels and tires at some point. I don’t think the tires are contributing to my current issue.

But I’m beginning to think I should take off the helper springs and go with air bags until I can upgrade the shocks. The ride is not too stiff with the helper springs. It’s just that the initial tippiness is disconcerting.

Geo*Boy

Unknown

Senior Member

Joined: 04/27/2020

View Profile






Posted: 10/30/20 08:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Haloo wrote:

TxGearhead wrote:

You might check and see if Roadmaster has a sway bar for your Ford.
roadmasterinc.com
Call around and checking delivery dates might be good as well. eTrailer, Tweety's, etc.


Roadmaster doesn’t make a sway bar for my truck. I called them and asked.

I called all around the country trying to find a Hellwig Big Wig. No luck.

Wow. That’s strange, if you go to their configuration page for 2019 Ford F-350 they show a sway bar for the SRW and one for a dually. They also show a front sway bar.

billtex

RI

Senior Member

Joined: 07/20/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/30/20 08:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Haloo wrote:

srschang wrote:

What are you running for air pressure in the front & rear tires? Are the tires load Range E? F? G? A tire with a firm sidewall makes a big difference in side to side sway. As others have said, some of it is a learning experience, especially when entering and leaving parking lots. You generally want to do it as square as possible, if you are at an angle one of the front tires will go over any dip or bump first, starting the camper rocking, then when the rear tire go through it one at a time, it really gets to rock & rolling.

Scott



60lbs front, 80lbs rear. Load range E, 20” tires.

The primary issue is kind of a skittish feeling, not a roll so much as a sudden dipping to the outside of the curve — like it dips then catches.

We drove the camper home 1200 miles on the stock springs. There was some sway and roll, but no big deal. After the new springs were added it feels different as I describe above.

I think you answered your own question. NL are not very heavy and should be well within 1 ton stock suspension.
OE shocks should be fine...can’t believe they are worn already. “Adjustable” shocks are useless in snow country. They won’t be adjustable for long.

Of all the suspension mods I have done (many!) sway bar was the most useless. Made no difference IMO.

Go back to your OE suspension and put on a few miles. Then re-evealuate.


2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

Haloo

PNW

New Member

Joined: 10/29/2020

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/30/20 08:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

billtex wrote:

Haloo wrote:

srschang wrote:

What are you running for air pressure in the front & rear tires? Are the tires load Range E? F? G? A tire with a firm sidewall makes a big difference in side to side sway. As others have said, some of it is a learning experience, especially when entering and leaving parking lots. You generally want to do it as square as possible, if you are at an angle one of the front tires will go over any dip or bump first, starting the camper rocking, then when the rear tire go through it one at a time, it really gets to rock & rolling.

Scott



60lbs front, 80lbs rear. Load range E, 20” tires.

The primary issue is kind of a skittish feeling, not a roll so much as a sudden dipping to the outside of the curve — like it dips then catches.

We drove the camper home 1200 miles on the stock springs. There was some sway and roll, but no big deal. After the new springs were added it feels different as I describe above.

I think you answered your own question. NL are not very heavy and should be well within 1 ton stock suspension.
OE shocks should be fine...can’t believe they are worn already. “Adjustable” shocks are useless in snow country. They won’t be adjustable for long.

Of all the suspension mods I have done (many!) sway bar was the most useless. Made no difference IMO.

Go back to your OE suspension and put on a few miles. Then re-evealuate.


Yep. I’m going to remove the springs and give it another go. And yes, our camper will not exceed our payload. In fact, I have unbolted some weight from our camper, so we have even more room for gear if we want. I’m guessing we are at about 2600 lbs dry.

Ford adds a sway bar with their Camper Package. Our truck did not come with a sway bar. Truck camper forums are stuffed full of threads on the virtues of sway bars. You are only the second person to tell me to not get a sway bar. The other guy told me to get air bags instead.

So...since you mentioned it, what suspension mods have you done that were worthwhile?

billtex

RI

Senior Member

Joined: 07/20/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 11/01/20 01:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Haloo wrote:

billtex wrote:

Haloo wrote:

srschang wrote:

What are you running for air pressure in the front & rear tires? Are the tires load Range E? F? G? A tire with a firm sidewall makes a big difference in side to side sway. As others have said, some of it is a learning experience, especially when entering and leaving parking lots. You generally want to do it as square as possible, if you are at an angle one of the front tires will go over any dip or bump first, starting the camper rocking, then when the rear tire go through it one at a time, it really gets to rock & rolling.

Scott



60lbs front, 80lbs rear. Load range E, 20” tires.

The primary issue is kind of a skittish feeling, not a roll so much as a sudden dipping to the outside of the curve — like it dips then catches.

We drove the camper home 1200 miles on the stock springs. There was some sway and roll, but no big deal. After the new springs were added it feels different as I describe above.

I think you answered your own question. NL are not very heavy and should be well within 1 ton stock suspension.
OE shocks should be fine...can’t believe they are worn already. “Adjustable” shocks are useless in snow country. They won’t be adjustable for long.

Of all the suspension mods I have done (many!) sway bar was the most useless. Made no difference IMO.

Go back to your OE suspension and put on a few miles. Then re-evealuate.


Yep. I’m going to remove the springs and give it another go. And yes, our camper will not exceed our payload. In fact, I have unbolted some weight from our camper, so we have even more room for gear if we want. I’m guessing we are at about 2600 lbs dry.

Ford adds a sway bar with their Camper Package. Our truck did not come with a sway bar. Truck camper forums are stuffed full of threads on the virtues of sway bars. You are only the second person to tell me to not get a sway bar. The other guy told me to get air bags instead.

So...since you mentioned it, what suspension mods have you done that were worthwhile?

It only took me ~ 20 years to figure out. My approach to a 3/4 ton truck would be different than a 1 ton truck. I would always suggest purchasing the 1 ton if you are buying a truck. If you already have one and want to work with what you have, that is a different story.
I have used; airbags (never again-not a good solution for TC’s), suspersprings (good if you have a 3/4 ton and need to add over load springs), sway bar (did nothing for me, and I used the big fat after market one...) lower stable loads (this would be my first choice. Utilizes OE springs with no effect on unladen ride), upper bump stop extensions (Upper SL’s-$$$, or energy suspension-same thing-less $). Upper bump stops only if you have a 1 ton, most 3/4 tons don’t. Also will not effect unladen ride.

In case you can’t tell, I did not want to change unladen ride, so that approach is important to me. Products that maximize your OE suspension and do not add a lot of unsprung weight IMO are the best approach.
That is my suspension story. Many more out there...

Haloo

PNW

New Member

Joined: 10/29/2020

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/01/20 03:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ah yes, many more suspension stories out there. I’ve looked all over various forums (fora) and discovered huge variations and disagreement. Some people love airbags, others hate them. Same with sway bars, stable loads, Timbrens, helper springs, etc... I have now heard or read polar opposite opinions on each of these and more.

As a motorcyclist, if you can’t have/afford a completely dialed in suspension you at least want predictable suspension. You want the feedback to be giving you a consistent message. Right now this is what I’m aiming for with my truck and camper. I’ll get there. But it looks like a process of trial and error. So be it.

jimh425

Western MT

Senior Member

Joined: 06/11/2006

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 11/01/20 04:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Haloo wrote:

Right now this is what I’m aiming for with my truck and camper. I’ll get there. But it looks like a process of trial and error. So be it.


You seem to want everyone to confirm what you decided before you ever posted here even though you got an explanation for why you were wrong.

Have fun with your trials and errors. That’s the only way some people learn. [emoticon]


'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.


billtex

RI

Senior Member

Joined: 07/20/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 11/01/20 05:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Haloo wrote:

Ah yes, many more suspension stories out there. I’ve looked all over various forums (fora) and discovered huge variations and disagreement. Some people love airbags, others hate them. Same with sway bars, stable loads, Timbrens, helper springs, etc... I have now heard or read polar opposite opinions on each of these and more.

As a motorcyclist, if you can’t have/afford a completely dialed in suspension you at least want predictable suspension. You want the feedback to be giving you a consistent message. Right now this is what I’m aiming for with my truck and camper. I’ll get there. But it looks like a process of trial and error. So be it.


What I like about the SL are they optimize the OE suspension. They are not an added piece of suspension. The result has been a nice firm ride with no bouncing (air bags!) and not bottom out (timbrens!).
Very predictable, firm, easy, inexpensive, nothing to fail, 100% stock ride unladen...obviously I am pleased with SL.
Quite honestly, I fawked up my last truck with all the suspension mods (unbearable when unladen). I went minimalist this time. And it works much better.
My 0.02.
Bill

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

 > Stop gap suspension advice
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.