cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surge protector

Diamond_c
Nomad
Nomad
We have a 2020 keystone outback. How important is it to have a 50 amp surge protector? I thought that’s what fuses and breakers were for. If I need one I’llget one, I just don’t want to buy something I don’t just to have it.
31 REPLIES 31

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
We still have our Surgeguard. It has protected us from surges a few times and also bad campground wiring.
But..we bought the auto former and had in installed in the cord compartment. In AZ at Relatives where we were hooked up during heat of the day the voltage would go down into the red. Brownout will destroy electronics and motors. Since installing it we saw a few times on the line even with it but it stays mostly in the 125 volt range. However we have seen it at 130 volts for a while with no reason. We may have to send it back because of stuck switch.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Diamond c wrote:
How important is it to have a 50 amp surge protector? I thought that’s what fuses and breakers were for. If I need one I’llget one, I just don’t want to buy something I don’t just to have it.

Fuses and breakers do nothing to protect from a surge (high) or brownout (low) voltage condition.
Fuses and breakers protect the wiring from excess amp draw on the circuit.

It's not an absolute necessity to have a surge protector, but if you stay in RV parks and use power hookups frequently, a surge protector is good "insurance" to prevent power surges from damaging appliances.

I use this one, which is a portable style
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III
I will send you a bill for half the cost. :B??

Diamond_c
Nomad
Nomad
Glad I could help.

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III
Diamond C and Cavie, I just want to thank you for causing me to spend some money yesterday. (LOL) I read the original post and then read the post by Cavie the had the articles. I then went out and bought a Hughes PWD 50 EPO.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
cummins2014 wrote:
Bobbo wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
Thanks, but you are just a little bit late, already bought it, but it will benefit others. It was pretty simple for me also ,pushed a couple keys on the computer, and it showed up on the doorstep a couple days later. 🙂 and I didn't have to grab my mask ,stand in those six foot apart lines or nothing plus saving me a trip, that was worth the extra money spent right there.

I'm not late for the next person who has this problem and finds this thread.

I agree, as I said above. Just checking , but a quality male three prong can cost a lot more than less then $2 , would you want to use just the cheap one or a quality outdoor plug. If the cheap one works okay , and if someone wants to build one that works.

The one I bought ,and delivered to my doorstep is sealed, so I assume these homemade would have to sealed on the end to prevent water getting in them on the opposite end of the plugs, or does it matter if they are sealed ??

As far as "quality" goes, it doesn't carry any current so a single strand of wire would work. All it is doing is fooling the EMS into thinking there is a GROUND connection. I don't worry about sealing mine because it is never used out in the rain. It is either good weather or under cover. But, if you like yours, fine. I am not disrespecting what you did, only pointing out that there is a cheaper alternative.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
Thanks, but you are just a little bit late, already bought it, but it will benefit others. It was pretty simple for me also ,pushed a couple keys on the computer, and it showed up on the doorstep a couple days later. 🙂 and I didn't have to grab my mask ,stand in those six foot apart lines or nothing plus saving me a trip, that was worth the extra money spent right there.

I agree, as I said above. Just checking , but a quality male three prong can cost a lot more than less then $2 , would you want to use just the cheap one or a quality outdoor plug. If the cheap one works okay , and if someone wants to build one that works.

The one I bought ,and delivered to my doorstep is sealed, so I assume these homemade would have to sealed on the end to prevent water getting in them on the opposite end of the plugs, or does it matter if they are sealed ??

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
cummins2014 wrote:

Bobbo and Lin

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
dodge guy wrote:
Boomerweps wrote:
An EMS protects from high or low voltage (low voltage damages control systems),
High or low frequency (also damages electronics and control systems),
Miswired and missing grounds. If hot and cold (return) wires are mixed up, that can result in a “skin hot” electrical shock, a dangerous condition.
I had a plug in my garage that had no ground, EMS wouldn’t pass power.
We camped at an old campground for a second time at a different location during a packed weekend during a high heat index warning. In PA, 108 temps incredible humidity. Everyone’s AC full blast, voltages kept dipping down to 103 vac. My power shut down at 106.

So what do you do for power when it shuts down?

Boondock until the power is good again. But, you don't have to replace thousands of dollars in equipment in your RV.
Bobbo and Lin

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Boomerweps wrote:
An EMS protects from high or low voltage (low voltage damages control systems),
High or low frequency (also damages electronics and control systems),
Miswired and missing grounds. If hot and cold (return) wires are mixed up, that can result in a “skin hot” electrical shock, a dangerous condition.
I had a plug in my garage that had no ground, EMS wouldn’t pass power.
We camped at an old campground for a second time at a different location during a packed weekend during a high heat index warning. In PA, 108 temps incredible humidity. Everyone’s AC full blast, voltages kept dipping down to 103 vac. My power shut down at 106.

So what do you do for power when it shuts down?
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
Another tidbit about these surge protectors , I have the Progressive 50 hardwired, they do not let the power thru on the small generators , no ground. I was lucky ,was in the mountains no cell service ,drove to find service . Talked to a friend about why I didn't have any power going in from my Honda 2000, and he had just read an article about that, that those small generators are not grounded . The larger onboard ,and contractor generators are grounded ,and will let the power thru. It was just a simple matter of turning off the surge protecter . I would have never thought of that, never having read that before . Also there is a grounding plug you can buy that plugs into the generator, for a better choice of words ,it lies to the surge protecter thinking its been grounded. Southwire sells one on Amazon that I bought , farily cheap it was about $13 with tax. Part # is Southwire 44400 Surge Guard.

I am assuming the portables are the same if used with one of those small generators. I never used the portable surge protector I had on my previous fifth wheel when running the Honda 2000, so I never knew the issue with them. From reading it sounds likes using the the surge protector all the time is not a bad thing, even with the small generators. Big reason now why I bought the Southwire 44400 ,so I can leave my hard wired surge protector on all the time .

You can build a bonding plug for less than $2. Go to a big box hardware store and buy a replacement 3 prong plug and 2 inches of wire. The wire's size does not matter since it will not carry current. Put the wire connecting the NEUTRAL and GROUND pins of the plug. DO NOT connect anything to the HOT pin. Done.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
cummins2014 wrote:
Another tidbit about these surge protectors , I have the Progressive 50 hardwired, they do not let the power thru on the small generators , no ground. I was lucky ,was in the mountains no cell service ,drove to find service . Talked to a friend about why I didn't have any power going in from my Honda 2000, and he had just read an article about that, that those small generators are not grounded . The larger onboard ,and contractor generators are grounded ,and will let the power thru. It was just a simple matter of turning off the surge protecter . I would have never thought of that, never having read that before . Also there is a grounding plug you can buy that plugs into the generator, for a better choice of words ,it lies to the surge protecter thinking its been grounded. Southwire sells one on Amazon that I bought , farily cheap it was about $13 with tax. Part # is Southwire 44400 Surge Guard.

I am assuming the portables are the same if used with one of those small generators. I never used the portable surge protector I had on my previous fifth wheel when running the Honda 2000, so I never knew the issue with them. From reading it sounds likes using the the surge protector all the time is not a bad thing, even with the small generators. Big reason now why I bought the Southwire 44400 ,so I can leave my hard wired surge protector on all the time .

You can build a bonding plug for less than $2. Go to a big box hardware store and buy a replacement 3 prong plug and 2 inches of wire. The wire's size does not matter since it will not carry current. Put the wire connecting the NEUTRAL and GROUND pins of the plug. DO NOT connect anything to the HOT pin. Done.

Bobbo and Lin

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Ironically we also have a 2020 Outback so if you want to copy us, get an EMS-PT30X.
You won't need the 50 amp unless you have the 2nd ac unit but you'll need the 50/30 adapter cord " Walmart or Amazon ".

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had an open ground at a campground.. I know how to fix that at the end of my cord so I did.

On my Class A. while it lasts the Surge Guard only affects shore power (Genny it's bypassed) but if using a portale generator all you need is a "Bonding plug" and make sure the generator is bondable (most are) the bonding plug has the white and green leads jumpered. That is all.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times