Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Surge protector
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Surge protector

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Diamond c

West ky

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/20 06:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a 2020 keystone outback. How important is it to have a 50 amp surge protector? I thought that’s what fuses and breakers were for. If I need one I’llget one, I just don’t want to buy something I don’t just to have it.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/20 06:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buy a top of the line energy management system, not just a surge device. Or, go "whole hog" and invest in an autoformer.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Lwiddis

Glass Creek area, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/30/20 07:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not important. Essential! Consider an autoformer to protect against surges and low voltage. Basic RV electricity safeguard.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

cavie

Port Charlotte Fl/ Hindsdale MA

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/20 07:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Diamond c wrote:

We have a 2020 keystone outback. How important is it to have a 50 amp surge protector? I thought that’s what fuses and breakers were for. If I need one I’llget one, I just don’t want to buy something I don’t just to have it.

LITTLE READING FOR YOU.

https://www.technorv.com/articles/do-you-need-an-rv-surge-protector/

https://rvmentor.com/2019/11/24/ems-vs-surge-suppressor/?fbclid=IwAR3yx1bcMOia0kJcJsOT-fPluEY-jPUA-rmNUwmN0s6qLo0_1M3_i4tQ-P0

https://www.technorv.com/articles/do-you-need-an-rv-surge-protector/

https://hughesautoformers.com/run-your-autoformer-with-confidence-a-note-regarding-nfpa70/

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/30/20 10:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A top of the line energy management system is like insurance. You may never need it. You hope you never need it. But, if you need it and don't have it, you may be replacing thousands of dollars of equipment in your RV. After that, I guarantee you will get one. I recommend the Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C. My EMS-HW30C is in its 13th year and 2nd RV. (I have only had 30 amp RV's.)

[image]

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Rover_Bill

NE. Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/30/20 10:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Diamond c wrote:

...I thought that’s what fuses and breakers were for...

Fuses and breakers don't protect your electronics and compressors from LOW VOLTAGE damage which is the most common issue in overcrowded campgrounds. A high voltage spike can destroy your electronics long before the fuses can blow. An EMS is the best guard-dog you can get for your RV.

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/20 12:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fuses and breakers are intended to prevent fire due to overcurrent causing the wiring to heat up. They offer no protection at all against wrong voltages, high or low, in themselves. A high, or in some cases low, voltage can cause more current to flow through connected devices, and so may under the right conditions trip a breaker or blow a fuse, but in a great many situations that would not come up and potentially result in the thing(s) being powered getting damaged.

Is an EMS absolutely required? No, not in the sense that, say, a sewer hose is required; it's possible to use an RV without one. However, it's a very good idea to have an EMS and it can prevent a lot of heartache should you encounter faulty electrical hookups, low voltages, etc.

Diamond c

West ky

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/20 03:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok ya’ll have convinced me I’ll start looking and get one. I don’t think it’ll be a hard wired kind,but a “ plug and play “ kind.

Jack Spratt

Maine

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/20 03:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use a progressive plug in
Twice we have found pedestals wired wrong.

Leprechaun 260 DSF
2017 Big Horn FL3750

'10 Yellow Lab to keep us on our toes.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/20 04:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Several common issues with power systems of which surges are both the most common and the least troublesome.

One is a mis-wired park. Open ground or open neutral and the better protectors like the Progressive Industries HW-50C or their new portable model (Replaced the PT-50C) will detect and protect

Many parks have low voltage which is very hard on Air conditioners and some other stuff the units I mentioned will detect and protect

I've heard way too many stories of someone plugging into an 30 amp outlet with an adapter "Oh people use that all the time" only it is a 240 volt outlet and they fry everything in the RV .. It will detect and protect.

And finally I've seen many what I call "Power blinks" Where power goes out for just one or 2 seconds and comes right back on, again hard on the A/C. these units hold power off for over 2 minutes. To Protect.

Southwire/TRC Surge guard makes a unit that is not much different from the Progressive Industries.. I don't have the model number handy but the key is these area all top of the line units.

Both companies also make smaller, cheaper, units that ONLY protect against power spikes. no over/under voltage or other protection.

Home is where I park it.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Surge protector
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.