Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: How cold is too cold?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> How cold is too cold?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/20 04:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Takes very cold weather and significant time b4 you have water freezing issues. If your really concerned then you can empty the hot water tank and open the low point drain valves - that should protect you in most situations. Adding an electric heater will provide additional insurance. When weather gets nasty you can consider emptying FW tank and winterizing the rig.

Kevin

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/20 04:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ksg5000 wrote:

Takes very cold weather and significant time b4 you have water freezing issues. If your really concerned then you can empty the hot water tank and open the low point drain valves - that should protect you in most situations. Adding an electric heater will provide additional insurance. When weather gets nasty you can consider emptying FW tank and winterizing the rig.

I definitely will winterize at some point. For now, I'm just keeping an eye on the 10 day forecast. We quite often have decent weather through the end of November.

Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/20 05:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Coolmom42,

If you do have a freeze up, I'd suggest a radiant heater be used to thaw things out.

* This post was edited 11/01/20 08:51am by pianotuna *

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/20 08:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Too cold, starts around zero, and gets worse from there.
It has been -38 degrees F in my driveway.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/20 09:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A couple degrees below freezing for an hour or two is unlikely to impact any plumbing inside the box with the heat on. Enough heat will radiate thru the base of the bed to more than compensate.

What I would look for is anything outside the box. Most common would be the drains for the black and gray tanks. Being completely clear of the box, they will gain little if any warmth from the heated box.

Really, the fresh water tank is going to be good even much colder as it's fully in the heated box. Plumbing fittings in or against exterior walls when it gets down into the low 20's is where you might want to consider opening cabinets to let heat get in to the pipes.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/01/20 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

-10 F is about the limit for me. Might go -20 but anything lower and I expect problems.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/09/20 09:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

-10 F is about the limit for me. Might go -20 but anything lower and I expect problems.

Same for us!

The simple response for the OP is, what brand of class c? Some are fully capable of zero F and well below, some have some minor winter usage capabilities, while others barely to 32 F. Those that are designed for cool weather usage, have the tanks, water lines, and dump valves all located inside an insulated, heat ducted part of the unit!

The OP needs to determine, if all of the water/waste system has an available heat source. If not, then determine what, if anything can be done to improve the system. Exposed lines/valves must be heat traced/insulated if the unit will be exposed to extended cool temps. If the tanks are exposed, they can have heat pads applied, then the tanks well insulated. While all of this can be a challenging endeavor, it can certainly give the RVer a great deal of peace of mind for those cold snaps that the weather person didn’t warn you of!

I’ve put our water system in service at single digit F temperatures for an outing. However, our unit was designed for cold weather use, and then some additional preparation was done to improve an already good unit! memtb

Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/09/20 09:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ppine wrote:

Now that is cold!!

Probably the only way to "RV camp" at those temperatures would be with plenty of propane heat, plenty of interior ducting to route that heat around, and plenty of electricity ... along with double pane windows and outside skirting around the rig.

I wonder how researchers in Antarctica outfit their living shelters for the ultra-extreme cold?

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/09/20 10:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ppine wrote:

I’m a newbie to Wyoming, @ only 35 years.....the coldest I’ve seen was -47 F. Thankfully, there was zero wind.....but, I had an outside job. And.....I’m darn glad we weren’t rving that night! memtb

steveh27

Grosse Pointe Woods, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/10/20 05:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Class B has the same setup with the fresh water tank and pump under the bed. So it is inside, but because the space is sealed from the heater outlets it does not get direct heat. That did cause a problem when it was 8 degrees and the lines from the pump to the tank froze. I lifted the bed to allow air in and put a few chemical hand warmers on the affected areas. It was good after a few hours as the day warmed a bit.

But it is not a problem with the temps you expect.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> How cold is too cold?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.