cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Franklin NC to Pigeon Forge TN

JCK
Explorer
Explorer
As the subject line says we’re traveling with the camper from Franklin to Pigeon Forge
Mapping programs say use Route 441 over the Smokies . I’m ok with that just looking for input from From other Campers that have driven that Route . I will ask at the campground office but would rather hear from fellow travelers.
I can take I 40 around that’s the way we came from Ohio. The go around route is longer and would like fresh scenery . What do you guys think
Jeff K
2019 GMC Denali 2500 Duramax
2018 Grand Design Imagine 2500 RL
8 REPLIES 8

JCK
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:
I have gone the route I suggested several times with my DP and toad but only been 441 with the car several times and traffic is always a mess.

ferndaleflyer I’m going to take your route tomorrow. I Want to thank everyone for your responses
Jeff

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have gone the route I suggested several times with my DP and toad but only been 441 with the car several times and traffic is always a mess.

Busdriver
Explorer
Explorer
I have traveled that route , with light traffic. Slow and steady, would not like it with heavy traffic

Busdriver

2019 2500 Chevy Duramax , - 2017 Grand Design 303 RLS

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
rirish1 wrote:
If I'm not mistaken, 18 wheelers travel this route. Just saying

Commercial vehicles are not allowed thru the Park unless they are specifically permitted.

There is some steep areas going up to the Tennessee line and a couple of switchbacks.
I would be more concerned coming down into Tennessee from the gap. They have worked on the road trying to make it better, but it is still narrow and very steep for a while. Couple of tunnels, but nothing to worry about. The steep grades and narrow lanes would be a major concern.
If you are worried, take 74 at Sylva/Dillsboro over to I-40 and head west to Kodak and come in from the north to Pigeon Forge.
That route is longer and is pretty danged hairy when you get into the gorge with the trucks riding your bumper and still there are the curves.
Personally, I would do the route thru the Park
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

rirish1
Explorer
Explorer
If I'm not mistaken, 18 wheelers travel this route. Just saying

JCK
Explorer
Explorer
Flyer
My trailer is 30 foot ball to bumper . I would guess 441 traffic is a problem . We have been on 441 but only from the north side

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I go 40. You don’t say what kind of camper you have but if it amounts to anything you will be hating life going 441. Take 40 to TN 411 through Chestnut Hill.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
If it were me I'd take the 441.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE