cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating 5th Wheel?

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I've owned our current 5er since new, bought it way back in 2002. It's been garaged most of it's life, but at nearly 20 years old it is dated. We don't camp nearly as much as we used to, so I have a hard time justifying new RV prices (especially at a quality level similar to what we have now), so we are considering trying to find someone to update/remodel.

The main thing I want done that I really don't want to deal with is removing the carpet and replacing with something like linoleum (at least in the main living area). I found one place in Colorado that remodels RVs, but they quoted $5500 just for the flooring. That price seems high to me, and more than I think I am willing to pay.

I've tried calling a couple of carpet/flooring installers, as well as two RV shops, and neither are interested in the job. Any other suggestions on where to find someone to do at least that amount of work at a more reasonable price? Or am I destined to have to buy something new(er)?
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010
15 REPLIES 15

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
As of last estimated night count we have put nearly 2000 days on the road in 11 years with our 5er. As expected the carpet is looking tired, even with using runners for the life of the trailer.

The new flooring desire has been kicked around & we are willing to tackle it ourselves. Trouble is, the job has to be done while we are living in it. We don't have a house to live in while we park the trailer on the side.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
Bionic Man wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
What was included in the estimate? Especially the older slides, didn't play nice with vinyl flooring (hence why so many rigs have carpet which I hate). Did this include an upgrade to the slide mechanism or was there floor rot to address?

If it's just tear out and put down vinyl, most any small general contractor who does household flooring should be able to manage and it should only be a few hundred. If you can take the rig to them, that would be even more of a help.

That was just a break out of removing the existing flooring, and installing new. Nothing else.

I've tried one general contractor, and he wasn't interested in doing it. I'll call around, or maybe check with Home Depot or Lowes as has been suggested.

Then that's wildly overpriced.

When you look for contractor's look for smaller 1-2 man operations. Or go to Lowes/Home Depot and they will have a list of installers they will give you. You can call them directly. Be prepared to explain that there isn't anything really special about it other than it's a small space.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Durb wrote:
Our trailer is 12 years old. Although it is in exceptional condition we still find ourselves trying to cost justify upgrades. We were quoted $5k to reupholster a couch; don't think so. We decided to live with the peeling unit or find an alternative which is what we did. It just doesn't make sense to toss money in some directions.

That is exactly where we are at this point. We'd like to do the floors, update the lighting and hardware. That, plus a few other things, and the quote by someone who "specializes" in RV remodeling was just short of $10k. No way I'd put that amount of money into a 20 year old trailer.

I'm worried that we may be going down a road where we will just need to bite the bullet and buy something built within the last few years. But, as I said, the quality just doesn't seem the same. Plus I'd want to have another generator installed, and a heavy duty hitch and frame reinforcement done.....
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
What was included in the estimate? Especially the older slides, didn't play nice with vinyl flooring (hence why so many rigs have carpet which I hate). Did this include an upgrade to the slide mechanism or was there floor rot to address?

If it's just tear out and put down vinyl, most any small general contractor who does household flooring should be able to manage and it should only be a few hundred. If you can take the rig to them, that would be even more of a help.

That was just a break out of removing the existing flooring, and installing new. Nothing else.

I've tried one general contractor, and he wasn't interested in doing it. I'll call around, or maybe check with Home Depot or Lowes as has been suggested.

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
dblr wrote:
If your willing to travel ( or make a trip out of it ) have you considered going out to Indiana area where most are built? There are quite a few shops out there that do this, might be worth a look. Plus there are a lot of touristy things to do.

Good thought, but we both work full time. A trip to Indiana isn't in the books for a while.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Durb wrote:
Our trailer is 12 years old. Although it is in exceptional condition we still find ourselves trying to cost justify upgrades. We were quoted $5k to reupholster a couch; don't think so. We decided to live with the peeling unit or find an alternative which is what we did. It just doesn't make sense to toss money in some directions.

You're right! Our recliners need replaced and we'll go with regular as opposed to RV specific, to save money.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Durb
Explorer
Explorer

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Keep looking for an independent installer. You'll find one. I did 4 trailers in the last 5 years.....vinyl, carpet, laminate....

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Find the laminate or vinyl plank that you like and you should be able to find a handyman to install for under 5 bucks per square foot. Home Depot or Lowes even can do it.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
That's pretty high. We use United RV Repairhere in Boise Idaho for all our maintenance and updates. Ours is a 2011. We just took ours in to replace all the cheap factory decals with laminated ones. Just to give you some idea of pricing. We paid $1700 for the decals and he's putting them on for $1k - removal of old, buffing surface, and applying new. We may have to do a new roof, he quoted us $4k. Last time we took our rig in for repair and update, he replaced all fenders, new slide out awnings, new slide seals, sealed the skylight, replaced front end of FW lamination with diamond plate, added a WeBoost, inspected all appliances and the system - all for $4500, parts and labor. Last year we replaced our cheap factory awning with an updgraded one and he threw in for free an aluma-guard for it. Great shop, great owner!
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
Do it yourself if you are able. Or hire a handyman. It's not a hard job.

dblr
Explorer
Explorer
If your willing to travel ( or make a trip out of it ) have you considered going out to Indiana area where most are built? There are quite a few shops out there that do this, might be worth a look. Plus there are a lot of touristy things to do.
2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB
2001 Kenworth T2000
2009 Smart on the deck.

N6761U
Explorer
Explorer
It's not rocket science, watch a couple of YouTube video's and try it yourself. If you screw up, just do it again. I replace my dated flooring with vinyl planking and it looks great. There are a lot of independent floor layers who will do the job. Just ask at any floor dealers like Carpet One.

Pritch