Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: RV Pet Stop: Vetting Breeders
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Dogs

> Vetting Breeders

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/20 10:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just as there are personality trait that run in some bench/pet bred lines, personality traits and temperaments can run in some working bred lines. Not all works bred lines are “alpha”, high strung, not laid back enough to be a pet, etc. more often than not, the dogs with the extreme characteristics are used to paint all dogs in the group. This can be especially true if there are lines that are popular regionally; the characteristics of that line seem to define the characteristics of the breed until you go to another region with different lines.

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/20 12:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My last three dogs came from 2 breeders who had similar values: Health, of course, (conformation to a certain degree) but more importantly temperment, and heavily-socialized from the moment they are born. Augie is a purebred Aussie - but very un-Aussielike in that the entire world is his best friend (they are usually a bit aloof with strangers). His breeder will often turn down applications where she feels her dogs will not be a good fit. In MY case, my dogs go to work with me, so MUST be friendly.

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/01/20 01:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BCSnob wrote:

Just as there are personality trait that run in some bench/pet bred lines, personality traits and temperaments can run in some working bred lines. Not all works bred lines are “alpha”, high strung, not laid back enough to be a pet, etc. more often than not, the dogs with the extreme characteristics are used to paint all dogs in the group. This can be especially true if there are lines that are popular regionally; the characteristics of that line seem to define the characteristics of the breed until you go to another region with different lines.

Agree but my local experience with springers pushes me away from field dogs. We also know we wouldn't use the dog for its intended purposes and that seems somewhat unfair. A dog bread more for temperament is better suited for us. Field dogs are also on the smaller side on average-we want big and doofy.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

dturm

Lake County, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/01/20 01:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

winnietrey wrote:

I wonder if you could call the breeder's vet. They probably would not say anything to negative, but anything short of a ringing endorsement, you might be able to read between the lines?...

HIPAA/ privacy rules apply to DVMs as well. I doubt you'd get any information without permission from the breeder.

Doug & Sandy
Kaylee (12 year old Terrier of some sort), Sasha 3 yr old Golden
Kaiya at the Rainbow Bridge
2008 Southwind
2009 Honda CRV

Check out blog.rv.net

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/20 02:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Crowe wrote:

We also know we wouldn't use the dog for its intended purposes and that seems somewhat unfair.
This sentiment never has made sense to me when one considers there are breeds that were developed and intended for dog fighting or animal baiting.

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/01/20 03:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BCSnob wrote:

Crowe wrote:

We also know we wouldn't use the dog for its intended purposes and that seems somewhat unfair.
This sentiment never has made sense to me when one considers there are breeds that were developed and intended for dog fighting or animal baiting.

Leap of faith Mark. I was referring to me and me only. We are talking about springers and springers only.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Dogs

> Vetting Breeders
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.