Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: truck camper and towing a flat trailer advice
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> truck camper and towing a flat trailer advice

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
rockwind1

las vegas

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/20 10:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Supercharged111 wrote:

mkirsch wrote:

rockwind1 wrote:

thanks,,, my gvwr is 6300 lb my front axle is 3000lb, my rear axle is 3450lb with my stock tires 265/70 r17

Are you SURE about that?

Those sound like F150 numbers, and a pretty light duty F150 at that.

Usually a 2000's era SRW F350 has a GVWR of around 10000lbs, a front axle rating of 5000lbs+ and a rear axle rating of at least 7000lbs.

This. My 1500 has ratings right at the numbers the OP is spouting off. My 97 GMC dually has a RAWR of 7500, but the axle itself is rated to something like 8700# last I checked. 3500# axle ratings get you NOWHERE, as in 500# of tongue weight and no camper whatsoever.

guys, my apologies,, that is actually my 4runner specs, i was going off a picture i took while ordering some stuff online for my 4runner, i thought it was the picture i took of my f350 tag. oops, i really thought those numbers were low as well. here is real info.

my gvwr is 9900 lb my front axle is 5200lb, my rear axle is 6830lb with my stock tires 265/70 r17

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/20 10:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So your truck can accept about 3800 lb on rear axle.
If you put 500 lb tongue on long stinger - you will put close to 1000 lb on rear axle from trailer alone. That will not give you much capacity for big camper.
If you put 1500lb tongue, you have no cargo capacity left (unless you can put it on front).
Other option is to tow 4-Runner on its wheels, if you have transfer case with neutral on it.

* This post was edited 11/03/20 10:32am by Kayteg1 *

TxGearhead

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/03/20 10:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can you flat tow the Toyota?

2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/20 10:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can flat tow everything.
The only question is how much money are you willing to put for the option.

rockwind1

las vegas

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/20 11:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

If you put 500 lb tongue on long stinger - you will put close to 1000 lb on rear axle from trailer alone. That will not give you much capacity for big camper.
If you put 1500lb tongue, you have no cargo capacity left (unless you can put it on front).
Other option is to tow 4-Runner on its wheels, if you have transfer case with neutral on it.

my 4runner does have a neutral for the transfer case but it is an automatic transmission,,,for some reason, growing up, i was always taught not to tow something with an auto tranny over say 25mph, unless the engine was actually running while you towed it. i wonder if that old school thought still applies to my 4runner

rockwind1

las vegas

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/20 11:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TxGearhead wrote:

so you are suggesting i stay with about a 2500 lb camper? are those hard to find? i am guessing a 8 or 9 footer max then?

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/20 12:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rockwind1 wrote:

my 4runner does have a neutral for the transfer case but it is an automatic transmission,,,for some reason, growing up, i was always taught not to tow something with an auto tranny over say 25mph, unless the engine was actually running while you towed it. i wonder if that old school thought still applies to my 4runner

When you put transfer case into N, the movement will never be transferred to transmission.
I read that H2 actually has special procedure for flat towing with AT.

mike/kellie

northern calif.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/03/20 03:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go to a Toyota forum for info. Your question can be answered there better than here. I quickly looked and the unanimous response was no. Year/model might differ and more than one referred to their owner's manual.
It would be the same asking the Toyota forum about truck campers. It's a small audience with that knowledge.

2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body

TxGearhead

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/03/20 04:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rockwind1 wrote:

Kayteg1 wrote:

I flat towed a CJ5 Jeep with nothing more than a $50 JC Whitney tow bar.

TxGearhead

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/03/20 04:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rockwind1 wrote:

TxGearhead wrote:

so you are suggesting i stay with about a 2500 lb camper? are those hard to find? i am guessing a 8 or 9 footer max then?

I have no idea how hard it would be to find. I had a 8ft Tejas TC that I hunted out of for years. Colorado and Texas. Fished Arkansas. Vacation to Yellowstone with wife and baby. Smaller is frequently better.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> truck camper and towing a flat trailer advice
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.