Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Time to Develop a Solution for Scissor Stairs (Bigfoots)
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Time to Develop a Solution for Scissor Stairs (Bigfoots)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/20 11:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just saw this as a ‘possible solution’ on Youtube...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oM5mEjyOojc

HMS Beagle

Napa, California

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/20 11:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is what I did on my BF10.4:

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/26930920.cfm

One difficulty with the BF basement campers is the basement door must remain accessible, but placing the first step below it is a very large first step down from the door. I've used this since 2013 and it has worked very well. On my prior BF9.6, I built something slightly similar, but it was mounted on a hitch extension instead of the camper. The scissors steps are much more stable and safe feeling, if they are rigidly attached.

If you are up this way you are welcome to have a look and a try. There is a simple video demonstrating.

Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/20 12:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hosts and I believe Arctic Fox has a bumper that takes up some of the distance to the ground, but still as high as the truck bumper. I think a simiilar type platform could be built although you may have to reinforce the Bigfoot at the rear.

A Host/Arctic Fox step then folds down from there.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/01/20 12:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Note that the demonstrations show stair configurations with the camper off of the truck. Jack up the camper and put it on the truck and the designs will not be all that safe. No way would I want to go up any of them trying to carry anything especially kids.

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/20 12:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

little giant steps

I use these - the steps are really deep and level (like regular stairs) and the handhold bar can fold down out of the way. Takes about 3 seconds to pull out of the camper and set up. WAAAAYY cheaper than the scissors-fold steps. I should add that being free-standing means I can move them around to crank the jacks or open/close the pop-up latches

billtex

RI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/01/20 01:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the angle is too steep, sounds like you need to add a step.

FWIW; the Glo Steps are an improvement over other brands we have owned. More stable, wider...

2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/20 03:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wouldn't it be nice to have a powered lift gate? Push a button, take a ride up or down, no steps. [emoticon]

I like the look and price of that Little Giant. Frankly, for what companies are asking for some of their multiple-step units, I think they should somehow include a fold-up handrail as part of the assembly; otherwise they're a lot of bucks for what looks to me like an eventual slip and fall.

Mike G.
--for now, using a cargo trailer for camping--
Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. --Benjamin Franklin
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

TxGearhead

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/01/20 05:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My first TC was a Tejas 8ft. Bought it 3rd hand from a fellow employee. It came with a set of steps homemade out of plywood with Astroturf stapled over them. They worked great. They would just fit inside the TC door. Store them inside. I've been saying for 3 years I would build a set for my Bigfoot. I need to get after that project. My wife won't set foot in my BF because of the steps. Uh, wait a minute, let me re-think that project.

2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/20 10:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Deb and Ed M wrote:

little giant steps

I use these - the steps are really deep and level (like regular stairs) and the handhold bar can fold down out of the way. Takes about 3 seconds to pull out of the camper and set up. WAAAAYY cheaper than the scissors-fold steps. I should add that being free-standing means I can move them around to crank the jacks or open/close the pop-up latches

Ditto. Very sturdy and useful around the house too. Can also work next to a trailer tongue for those times we leave it connected.

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/20 05:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i had this problem, old brophy steps came with the amper. when they were deployed they were all at different angles felt kind flimsy and the dog wouldnt go up or down them. I also was horrified at the price of glowsteps but eventualy decided to try them. they are simply wonderfull they are rock solid, all at the same slope. just make sure you measure good where they are going to mount to the ground with the camper on the truck so you get the proper amount of steps, and also get the ones with the 8" deep treads my dog goes up and down them no problem (big lab) .

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Time to Develop a Solution for Scissor Stairs (Bigfoots)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.