Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Time to Develop a Solution for Scissor Stairs (Bigfoots)
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Time to Develop a Solution for Scissor Stairs (Bigfoots)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/20 07:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Those tall skinny steps look like a death trap to me.

Hope you find a cure.

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
6580 lb truck 10540 fully loaded

adamis

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/20 07:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HMS Beagle wrote:

This is what I did on my BF10.4:

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/26930920.cfm

One difficulty with the BF basement campers is the basement door must remain accessible, but placing the first step below it is a very large first step down from the door. I've used this since 2013 and it has worked very well. On my prior BF9.6, I built something slightly similar, but it was mounted on a hitch extension instead of the camper. The scissors steps are much more stable and safe feeling, if they are rigidly attached.

If you are up this way you are welcome to have a look and a try. There is a simple video demonstrating.

I have seen your design previously and I really like it for the sheer simplicity of solving the problem. If I end up sticking with some sort of scissor step solution I think I will be looking at your idea very closely.

One thing I think I could do to make this cost effective is to make my own secondary stair brackets and modify the brophy so it has two sets of arm brackets like the TorqueLift.

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/20 08:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wnjj wrote:

Deb and Ed M wrote:

little giant steps

I use these - the steps are really deep and level (like regular stairs) and the handhold bar can fold down out of the way. Takes about 3 seconds to pull out of the camper and set up. WAAAAYY cheaper than the scissors-fold steps. I should add that being free-standing means I can move them around to crank the jacks or open/close the pop-up latches

Ditto. Very sturdy and useful around the house too. Can also work next to a trailer tongue for those times we leave it connected.

Now that you mention it - it's probably why I bought these folding steps in the first place. Quite often I would have my kayak trailer behind the truck :-)

TxGearhead

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/02/20 12:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My BF came with the scissor steps. The previous owner had drilled the 2 hooks and the matching spot on the top "plate" of the steps. Installed a 1/4 x 20 bolt and nut through the 2 holes. I carry the steps on the camper like that all the time. You might have to pry the hooks open a bit to get a nut on the bolt. I use a plastic covered cable with eyelets wrapped around the steps to prevent them opening on the road.

2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

AnEv942

CA

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/20 06:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IF the angle of individual treads differs when deployed- stairs have problem, they shouldn't. Increasing the distance between treads (lessening the number) certainly wouldn't make easier to use.

Older thread-same issue on B/F camper.
https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27151303.cfm

Owner going to repair though ended up replacing, may give some ideas if trying to fix. Adding second bar good idea. Landing whole project in itself. But if you can fix stairs more could be devoted to landing. Lowering landing to bottom of camper would make that last or top step into/out of camper- pretty tall.

bigfootford

Fair Oaks, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/05/20 11:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hay Rob, guess you did not look at my BF to realize my porch is what you need. Mine is 18" but you could do it less. Simple bracing from the rear jack brackets.

Here is the build thread showing what Reddog1 and I did years ago. I did get the Glow Steps from Torquelift. A big difference in rigidity.

[image]

[image]

https://www.rv.net/forum/Index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/25135064.cfm

Jim

2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Mich 245/70XDS2's, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260,Lifeline 100ah, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Trimetric, Delorme/laptop, Holux gps rec,led lights, Wave-3 heat.

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/20 12:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I built my own scissor steps from scratch. The steps stay parallel from flat to maximum height. Rock solid, 3 steps up plus a landing on the camper.

There has to be something wrong with the geometry of these commercially available steps if they don't stay parallel.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Z-Peller

Oceanside BC

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/20 02:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My experience with scissor steps was the further the steps extended, the more the downward slope of each step increased making them dangerous. No problem with the geometry or steps being equal angle. Learned when leveling rig to only use blocks on front axle, or dig holes for rear axle to keep stair treads level. BF has eliminated scissor steps on my newer 10.4 with a larger bumper and travel trailer type folding steps. Came stock with a 2 step and I replaced that with a 3 step which works great for two nearly 80 yr olds!

Bill..
2017 Bigfoot 10.4 camper...2016 GMC 3500 4x4 Xcab Duramax Dually...

adamis

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/20 11:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bigfootford wrote:

Hay Rob, guess you did not look at my BF to realize my porch is what you need. Mine is 18" but you could do it less. Simple bracing from the rear jack brackets.

Here is the build thread showing what Reddog1 and I did years ago. I did get the Glow Steps from Torquelift. A big difference in rigidity.

[image]

[image]

https://www.rv.net/forum/Index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/25135064.cfm

Jim

Hi Jim,

Yes, I have thought of your rear platform as I have considered my options. I do like having the larger landing however one of my goals is to not add any additional length to the truck and camper. Part of that is because I tow a lot and although I have a super truss system, I don't want to add more length to my truss than necessary. At most I think I wold add maybe 8" past the door for any platform.

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/06/20 08:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The porch and stair combos also seem highly dangerous. Before I would buy a camper I would expect the maker to address this issue safely. Stairs that are that steep and high would need a study railing.

Another related issue would be my desire to have a camper that more or less fits into a regular parking space and also has a stealth mode where the stairs are not extended.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Time to Develop a Solution for Scissor Stairs (Bigfoots)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.