cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

100K mile preventive maintenance

pulpwood007
Explorer
Explorer
2005 Dodge CTD 2WD finally approaching the 100K mile mark. I've owned it since new and have done periodic routine maintenance. At 50K I preemptively replaced the water pump, serpentine belt, tensioner and pulley.

Now at 100K I'm wondering if I should look at replacing any of these items again.

I use the truck primarily for pulling my 5th wheel trailer so any potential problem is probably going to be when I'm on the road. Not a good place to deal with them!

Any other items that I might look at replacing?
17 REPLIES 17

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
timetoroll has the answer.

However if replacing stuff gives a warm and fuzzy just do it. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Except all the stuff that was done so very early compared to expected component lifespans that it certainly doesnโ€™t need to be done extra early again.
On the upside, one could sell their gently used OE parts...
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Whatever was done at 50k should be repeated at 100k for the same reasons.

Personally I would stick to the book on scheduled maintenance. If it needs brakes, replace the fluid too. If it needs coolant replaced, sure do the water pump. Filters and oil, go by the book.

At 15 years at least check the radiator and heater hoses for soft spots or hardening of the rubber. In general this stuff actually lasts a lot longer than it used to.

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Well it's starting to sound like you could give us some advice. Lol

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Based on your maintenance thus far, you've gone well above and beyond what is necessary. Fillerup with fuel and go!

pulpwood007
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I flush my break lines about every 30K but that's probably too often unless the truck is used in very frequent start/stop applications.

Last one was done simply because front break hoses were replaced.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
And no one will back up the reasoning why you need 50k intervals on water pump and serpentine components. Thatโ€™s just p!swing money away.
100k and 15 years? trans, diff, extra fuel filtration, coolant, brake fluid, PS fluid if those havenโ€™t been done.

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
pulpwood007 wrote:
2005 Dodge CTD 2WD finally approaching the 100K mile mark. I've owned it since new and have done periodic routine maintenance. At 50K I preemptively replaced the water pump, serpentine belt, tensioner and pulley.

Now at 100K I'm wondering if I should look at replacing any of these items again.

Any other items that I might look at replacing?

At minimum I'd change the belt again just due to age.

Was flushing the brake lines part of your periodic routine maintenance? If not, I'd do that for sure.

KJ
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

pulpwood007
Explorer
Explorer
kellem wrote:
I also service the trans,diffs,radiator, TC every 50K.
The transmission can be messy without drain plug but all the maintenance items listed are fairly easy to accomplish.

Clean the magnets.

I've solved a lot of the messy component to the transmission service. Install a drain plug in the transmission pan. On service, open the plug and drain.

If you are fortunate like me, and do not have to drive the truck everyday, let the transmission fluid continue to drain into the pan, through the drain plug, and into your catch pan for about 72 hours.

By then, when you finally drop the pan, there will be very little fluid left to deal with. Very nice if you are adjusting the bands as I do every service.

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
I also service the trans,diffs,radiator, TC every 50K.
The transmission can be messy without drain plug but all the maintenance items listed are fairly easy to accomplish.

Clean the magnets.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
hoses, belts, fluids.

pulpwood007
Explorer
Explorer
jdc1 wrote:
No trans service? No differential service? Hmmmmm......I put over 300,000 miles on my 2001 before passing it along. I usually serviced the trans, coolant and differential every 50,000 miles. I carried an older upper and lower hose and belt , just in case.

See the OP. I stated ALL routine maintenance has been done. I'm asking about replacing parts before they break. I too carry extra hoses.

pulpwood007
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
If you bought an aftermarket water pump like Gates that's Chinese made YES replace it with a Cummins pump. While doing so buy a QUALITY US Made belt. Other than that have you changed the antifreeze?

At 150k adjust valves.

Yes the current one is a Gates. Has lasted 50K miles and has no issues. I'm sure the Cummins pump might be better at 3X the price. However, that's kinda like the Chinese wheel bearings. Some crater in a year and some last forever, Who knows??

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
No trans service? No differential service? Hmmmmm......I put over 300,000 miles on my 2001 before passing it along. I usually serviced the trans, coolant and differential every 50,000 miles. I carried an older upper and lower hose and belt , just in case.