Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Internet for campsite and while en route (travel trailer)
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Internet for campsite and while en route (travel trailer)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Raife

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/20 06:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good evening everyone. I have read through many of the posts here about internet options while camping. This past weekend the SO was not happy that the kids were not able to do their distance learning due to weak cell signal. So I am looking at cell booster options.

NOTE: I am fully aware I can't boost something that is not there (i.e. if there is no cell signal at all).

However, I need it to work while we are at a camp site and while we are driving between destinations (i.e. while we are driving pulling the travel trailer behind us).

It looks like most of the cell boosters "transmit" only a few feet (i.e. up to 6 feet and as little as 1.5 feet). If I install the equipment in the travel trailer it won't reach the tow vehicle...if I install it in the tow vehicle it won't reach the trailer...

Has anyone else been in this situation? How did you solve it?

I'm almost thinking about hooking a wireless router up to the receiving cell phone (getting its cell signal from the cell booster) which then theoretically the wireless router range would reach the TV, but then that phone would be in the trailer and not accessible. I could get a hotspot to reside in the travel trailer in place of the phone, but then I am paying for another data plan (I already have a data/hotspot plan on my phone). Also would there be the right power in the trailer to run the equipment?

Thoughts?

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/01/20 06:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With my iPhone and the proper data package, I link the internet to my Mac, no problems, it does not care if you have inter net or not..
As long you have phone service, you have Internet

yes you pay. and pay [emoticon]

2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Lwiddis

South of Lone Pine, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/01/20 06:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Weak cell signal or lack of bandwidth? Two very different issues. Or both? In the campground, almost always bandwidth.

“Also would there be the right power in the trailer to run the equipment?” Do you have an inverter? Adequate batteries? Is this 110 volt equipment? How much power will this equipment use in battery amp hours?

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Raife

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/20 07:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a cell signal (I.e internet through my hotspot), but it was not strong enough for the distance learning need...hence my questions...

Lwiddis

South of Lone Pine, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/01/20 07:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Signal strength is rarely the issue in a private campground.

Second Chance

Wherever...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/01/20 07:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think I just replied to your post in another forum - with this resource:

RVMobileInternet

Rob

U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Raife

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/20 08:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks - I just found that site through another search and was getting ready to dive in...

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/20 08:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tom/Barb wrote:

With my iPhone and the proper data package, I link the internet to my Mac, no problems, it does not care if you have inter net or not..
As long you have phone service, you have Internet

yes you pay. and pay [emoticon]

phone service does NOT guarantee internet. It's possible for to have useable phone/text and NO internet service. Or decent phone and internet that is adequate for some apps, but not video etc.

Often we are places where cell service defaults back to 1X (voice only) no internet.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/20 08:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

in our case we use the Tow vehicle internet service (onstar) in the truck, as long as ATT or GSM service is available we have internet in the truck. At the campsite we use verizon phones and a booster.

doxiemom11

Victoria TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/01/20 09:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Verizon has mobile internet service that will work while you drive down the road as long as you have 12v power for it. We used to have a router and their service and had data service with that in places that verizon cell phones did not work. The coverage area is not the same for stand alone data service as with a phone/hotspot. We now have a device thru ATT that is no longer available and have had great coverage with it. Also mobile. They probably have something available. The drawback is the cost if you use a lot of data. Most private campground at least have an area that picks up service but many also have great service.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Internet for campsite and while en route (travel trailer)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.