Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: New Member and Future Truck Camper Owner
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> New Member and Future Truck Camper Owner

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
otrfun

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/07/20 02:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

billtex wrote:

Welcome...and yeah...ouch. Should have stopped here b4 you got that truck. That (very) short bed is going to place your COG well behind axle. Not a good way to start TC’ing. Hate to rain on your parade, but a TT may be a better option for that truck.
Be safe.
billtex wrote:

That mega cab has a VERY short bed. I wouldn’t be putting anything too heavy behind the rear axle.
He’ll be doing the Carolina squat!
OP'S not going to have any problems carrying a short bed camper on his Ram MegaCab dually/DRW. Hundreds, thousands of folks carry SB campers on Ram SB trucks with no issues. We carry a SB camper (almost 4k loaded) on our '16 Ram 3500 SRW CC SB with zero handling issues.

I might add, the same 6 ft. 4 in. bed is used on all Ram heavy-duty SB trucks, including the MegaCab. If anything, the MegaCab may have a stability advantage over a Ram RC SB or Ram CC SB because it has a longer wheelbase.

The only MegaCab with documented problems carrying a SB camper is the 2014+ Ram 2500 Megacabs. Because of its very inboard mounted rear coil springs, some folks have encountered sway issues.

billtex

RI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/07/20 05:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK...good to know. I am not a ram fan but there have been many posts here regarding ram mega cab with sticker in glove box that states “ no TC”, Apparently due to COG behind axle. Perhaps that is 2500 only. As always, a trip to the scales will tell all.
Be safe.
Bill

2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

otrfun

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/08/20 07:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

billtex wrote:

. . . As always, a trip to the scales will tell all.
Be safe.
Bill
Agree. A visit to your local CAT scale to determine how much weight is being loaded or unloaded from your front axle is the only way to determine your *current* COG.

Those *factory* COG stickers are only accurate the day the camper left the factory.

zulu52

Cypress, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/20 02:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

logem wrote:

Hey all,

I just signed on as a member after reading a lot and finding this as the most helpful and active truck camper related forum available. Thanks to the good discussions here, I basically have everything figured out for my purchase of a hard side slide-in within the next month. I actually traded my 2016 Ram 2500 in June for a low mileage Ram 3500 DRW Mega Cab in prep for a TC.

I'll either place a custom order in December for Spring delivery unless something else pops up.

Best wishes. Just wanted to say "hello".

M.L.

logem,
Cypress, Texas??
I'm also in Cypress. Exactly where are you?
Zulu

[image]

Longshore

California

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/20 09:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello Logem. I am also short bed camper shopping. How is your search going? This sure has been educational for me. Lots of good information here. Which ones have you been looking at?

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/20 10:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

billtex wrote:

OK...good to know. I am not a ram fan but there have been many posts here regarding ram mega cab with sticker in glove box that states “ no TC”, Apparently due to COG behind axle. Perhaps that is 2500 only. As always, a trip to the scales will tell all.
Be safe.
Bill

Or, since you know not of what you speak, it is practically impossible to overload that truck with any SB capable camper.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Geo*Boy

Unknown

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/20 02:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Northstar TC makes the Arrow 8.5 for short-bed trucks. Arctic Fox has the 811 for short bed trucks

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> New Member and Future Truck Camper Owner
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.