Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Roads and Routes: Western Washington to Nashville
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Western Washington to Nashville

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
sunfan03

Bremerton, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/20 10:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Need your advice and suggestions for a trip from Washington to Nashville next year. Thinking about leaving mid-April (maybe take a detour to Orlando for the teenagers - Disneyworld) and being gone for about a month (picking up DD from college and bringing her home)

Would like to avoid winter temps and snowy passes, so is best route to head south to California and then east?

Traveling in a 32' Class C this time around. (Our last RV trip was 6 years ago with a 29' Class C.)

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/20 10:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Per Google maps... that's 91 hours and 6,241 miles roundtrip.

Consider going through Las Vegas to Flagstaff and picking up I-40, all the way to Nashville. Be prepared to lay up a couple of days for high winds and/or storm fronts anywhere from Texas on eastward, on that route, regardless of your direction of travel. If you should hit any snow around Flagstaff it won't last long.

Going on down to I-10 would get you out of the wind, generally and maybe out of the worst t-storms in April. Be aware that RV parks on the Gulf Coast have taken a serious beating from hurricanes this year and may be closed due to damage.

Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

sunfan03

Bremerton, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/20 11:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks coolmom42!

What do you think about taking I-20? Thinking maybe we could visit White Sands NP again (weather should be fine) and then head East on I-20 through Dallas (or possibly drop down to I-10 and visit family in San Antonio, Houston).

TenOC

On the road -- Full time

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/02/20 07:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nashville is a fantastic place to live except for one problem there's nothing to see within 500 miles. Depending on what you have seen in your other travels, you might want to take in Yellowstone, Grand Teton, the national parks of Utah and Monument Valley. Then you have 2 days hard-driving to Nashville.

Even in mid April, if you hit bad weather simply hold up for a day and continue trip. So any of the many routs from Washington to Nashville should work for you.

Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/20 08:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IN April many mountain passes will be closed. The chance of snow in the Rockies is very real. Take the southern route.

sunfan03

Bremerton, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/20 11:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks TenOC - haven't been to Monument Valley, so we'll check that out. Definitely planning on stops, but maybe more so on the way back home once we pick up DD.

ppine, do you have a website that you use to check the mountain passes, or do you have to do it by state? And that's what I wanted to know...if there's a chance for snow, I'd rather avoid it.

obgraham

TriCites WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/20 12:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sunfan03 wrote:

Thanks TenOC - haven't been to Monument Valley, so we'll check that out. Definitely planning on stops, but maybe more so on the way back home once we pick up DD.

ppine, do you have a website that you use to check the mountain passes, or do you have to do it by state? And that's what I wanted to know...if there's a chance for snow, I'd rather avoid it.
Every state I've RV'd through has a DOT website, or equivalent, with road reports, and usually a lot of cameras, and specific highway predictions. I prefer to use those as they are the most accurate.

For instance, I'd rather look at the cameras in Snoqualmie Pass if deciding to head to Seattle, rather than some TV weather guy.

As far as your plan, in Mid-April I would just plan the direct route: Salt Lake, Denver, Kansas City, St Louis, and Nashville. Odds favor good weather. Sure, you can see snow and bad roads sometimes -- that's why you check ahead of time!

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/02/20 01:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was thinking the same thing. By April we have to remove snow tires in WA, so that is a pretty good indication that the passes are all clear with the exception of a freak winter storm. But, since the main highways are all heavily traveled, I wouldn't go way out of the way, with maybe a backup plan if the weather is unusual. For the passes on the west, that means taking I-84 through Portland, when you get over to the Rockies, I'm not as familiar, but I would plan the most direct route and be less worried about the weather on main highways. Now, if you want to go to Yellowstone, or Glacier, then that is different, but I90, I84, ect are heavy truck routes.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/20 04:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

People in western WA mow their grass in Feb. I used to live around Seattle.

People in the Rocky Mtns plant their tomatoes in the third week in June. Depending on the year many passes stay closed until late May, June or even later.

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/20 06:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sunfan03 wrote:

Thanks coolmom42!

What do you think about taking I-20? Thinking maybe we could visit White Sands NP again (weather should be fine) and then head East on I-20 through Dallas (or possibly drop down to I-10 and visit family in San Antonio, Houston).

I've never made the run on I-20 but it should be pretty reasonable temps. Just keep an eye out for severe Tstorms.

My general preference is for I-40, weather allowing, because the biggest town is Oklahoma City. Not a fan of cities in general, much less driving a RV.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Western Washington to Nashville
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.