cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How do I run propane furnace but not hot water heater

rmauk
Explorer
Explorer
Newbie here. Due to freezing temps, I want to run the furnace on low but with all water drained, but not winterized yet. How do I run the furnace but not the hot water tank?
20 REPLIES 20

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget the line going to the toilet and the flush vslve.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
bukhrn wrote:
One more thought, Not water heater related, When you do get to winterizing, Don't forget the outside shower, Many newbies do forget it, (and a few old timers as well) sometimes that Oldzheimers kicks in. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Since you have dementia, here is a reminder to add the black tank flusher to the list.

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
rmauk wrote:
Watched the videos on anode rods. Thank you.

The issue here is that there are two brands of water heaters, Surburban, which has a steel tank and the anode rod, and the electric switch on the outside on the LH side hidden by some wiring and other stuff.

The other brand is Atwood, now Dometic, and they have an aluminum tank and NO anode rod. They have a plastic drain plug on the LH lower corner of the tank.

In either case, drain the tank.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
One more thought, Not water heater related, When you do get to winterizing, Don't forget the outside shower, Many newbies do forget it, (and a few old timers as well) sometimes that Oldzheimers kicks in. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
Ed_Gee wrote:
bukhrn wrote:
rmauk wrote:
Newbie here. Due to freezing temps, I want to run the furnace on low but with all water drained, but not winterized yet. How do I run the furnace but not the hot water tank?
Did you drain the water heater?

He stated that in his original post....

The reason people are asking is as a newbie, he may not realize that if you open the low point drains, the hot water heater may still remain full.

To the OP:
If the hot water tank is full, you do want to turn it on so it doesn't freeze but you want to make sure you know for sure if it's full or not. Particularly on electric heat, you can burn out the heating element in seconds if the tank is empty.

This brings up another question. How long are you running the furnace and are you plugged into electricity. If not plugged in, the furnace may only be good for a night or two running off battery power (the fan runs off 12v battery power). Once the battery dies, so does the furnace, even if you have propane in the tank. If plugged in, you are good until the propane runs out.

The nature of the OP's question would indicate novice, I commend them for asking.

I also commend you for a thorough response.

rmauk
Explorer
Explorer
Watched the videos on anode rods. Thank you.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Ed_Gee wrote:
bukhrn wrote:
rmauk wrote:

The reason people are asking is as a newbie, he may not realize that if you open the low point drains, the hot water heater may still remain full.

To the OP:
If the hot water tank is full, you do want to turn it on so it doesn't freeze but you want to make sure you know for sure if it's full or not. Particularly on electric heat, you can burn out the heating element in seconds if the tank is empty.

This brings up another question. How long are you running the furnace and are you plugged into electricity. If not plugged in, the furnace may only be good for a night or two running off battery power (the fan runs off 12v battery power). Once the battery dies, so does the furnace, even if you have propane in the tank. If plugged in, you are good until the propane runs out.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
bukhrn wrote:
rmauk wrote:

Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
rmauk, two thoughts. First, keep asking questions, even if you think they are dumb. We were all newbies, and us old timers like helping newbies avoid our misteaks.

Second, to drain your water heater you might need a 1 1/16" socket, depending on the model of your trailer. You can get them at a good auto parts store -- call around!

OK, three thoughts. When you get ready to drain your water heater, turn it off and let the water cool. Turn off your water pump. Open a hot water faucet. Then unscrew the anode, which is a hex fitting on the outside of the water heater.

By opening the faucet, you minimize the gush of water that will, well, gush out at you when you remove the anode.

If your trailer is not new, check the anode for corrosion.

Good luck, and keep on asking!!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Drain the water heater and switch over the bypass valve so you don't fill it with anti-freeze.

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Keep our furnace set at 35* all winter but still winterize.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
You didn't answer if you drained your hot water heater. I'm suspecting you didn't. Keep that on as well if it's going to freeze for several days or drain it. You pull the plug - the anode rod - and let it drain to the outside. Look it up on YouTube.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

rmauk
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all who replied.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
WELCOME!!!

Water heater.....has separate controls. Gas On/Off switch inside (could have electric also inside or in outside compartment)
Brand/Model??

Furnace.....controlled by Thermostat on wall
Select HEAT
Turn temp set point UP to desired temperature
Fan comes on...slight delay/runs to purge combustion chamber then should hear 'Click, Click, Click' from ignitor/electrode then Flame comes on
Heats to temp set point...flame goes out...fan runs for cool down cycle then repeats when room temp drops 2-3* below thermostat set point

Brand/Model of Furnace and Thermostat would be helpful for us to help you

Also should post Year/Brand/Model of RV
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31