cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

General 5th Wheel Brand Question

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
How does Forest River's Cedar Creek compare to the Keystone Montana? I know it's a subjective question but any input would be appreciated. We're looking at both brands.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"
27 REPLIES 27

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Splashers3 wrote:
I would consider Montana and Cedar Creek as high MID-level units.

I agree, at least high mid level, as well as the Bighorn.

Splashers3
Explorer
Explorer
I would consider Montana and Cedar Creek as high MID-level units.
2017 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali, C/C, D/A, DRW, w/40gal Aux tank, 18K B&W Patriot.
2019 Cedar Creek Hathaway, 34RL2 - w/Bells & Whistles and disc brakes
Traded 2009 Cedar Creek Silverback, GII, 32 WRL

justme
Explorer
Explorer
..and when considering, don't forget to evaluate how easy it is to maintain and repair the hydraulic system, slide-out mechanics, water system, underbelly, roof water intrusion, electrical system, and etc. Some manufacturers make things more difficult than need be.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
When we were in the market to purchase a FW, we looked at Montana, Montana High Country, Cedar Creek, Bighorns, Coachman, Jayco's, as these were available in our area. We narrowed our selection down to the Montana and Bighorn. At that time, Bighorn was second in popularity to the Montana and surpassed them the following year. Comparison between the two was very similar, but the Bighorn came with slide-out awnings, Fantastic fans, and had a nicer floor plan, so we opted for the Bighorn. Glad we did, we've had it now 10 years, paid off, and excellent quality.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
way2roll wrote:
TXiceman wrote:
Montana or cedar Creek....neither one are considered higher end units. They both take their basic unit and add some bling to make it pretty. Nothing in particular is done to make the unit better except for heavier tires.

Same Lippert frame and components.

Ken

This isn't really accurate. While I will agree they aren't high end (which is a fairly loose definition as you could spend a TON of money) they certainly aren't entry level. Hung wall construction, real gel coat, residential insulation, real ducted air, screwed frame construction 16" OC, higher end suspension, the list goes on. These things aren't "bling" and you won't find them on entry level units.

Having looked at nearly every make and model from $35,000 up to $80,000 available over the span of 6 months before deciding on a Montana High Country (which is not as nice as regular Montana), I can attest that Montanas and Cedar Creeks are both definitely nicer than most unless you're getting into the rigs that are $100k+ even after the normal discount off MSRP.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
TXiceman wrote:
Montana or cedar Creek....neither one are considered higher end units. They both take their basic unit and add some bling to make it pretty. Nothing in particular is done to make the unit better except for heavier tires.

Ken

This isn't really accurate. While I will agree they aren't high end (which is a fairly loose definition as you could spend a TON of money) they certainly aren't entry level. Hung wall construction, real gel coat, residential insulation, real ducted air, screwed frame construction 16" OC, higher end suspension, the list goes on. These things aren't "bling" and you won't find them on entry level units.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the inf6
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
When I look at campers, first place to check is the bathroom. Look for porcelain toilet, glass shower doors and a real fiberglass one piece shower. The rest of the camper will be constructed better. Now, the floor plan.

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer
B.O. Plenty wrote:
I bought a Cedar Creek 2016 Hathaway model. Here's what I like: Hung walls with residential insulation. Walls have studs on 16" centers and are screwed in place. Cannot delaminate, have room to allow electrical boxes and plugs on outside walls. Hydraulic leveling and slide out mechanisms. Room on each side of the bed even into the slide-out. Making the bed is a breeze. Very quiet and efficient ducted A/C. "I" beam frame also has a square tube stiffener welded along the length for reinforcement. Brand name appliances, carpet, furniture and mattress. Very happy with ours. Factory has been very receptive about sending me parts for things I can fix or okaying mobile service for other repairs.'

B.O.

So with a "hung wall" how is the fiberglass attached to the studs. I don't see any outside fasteners on any of the photos I see.
I am actually looking at Cedar Creeks now. Don't want a new one as it appears they dropped the rear fiberglass cap after 2018. I really like the look of the rear fiberglass cap.

klr650goldwing
Explorer
Explorer
You are looking at a couple nice brands there. Grand Design Solitude is another of similar quality.
2014 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
2017 F350 6.7 DRW CC LB 4X4
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2009 Saab 93 Aero Convertible
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
I bought a Cedar Creek 2016 Hathaway model. Here's what I like: Hung walls with residential insulation. Walls have studs on 16" centers and are screwed in place. Cannot delaminate, have room to allow electrical boxes and plugs on outside walls. Hydraulic leveling and slide out mechanisms. Room on each side of the bed even into the slide-out. Making the bed is a breeze. Very quiet and efficient ducted A/C. "I" beam frame also has a square tube stiffener welded along the length for reinforcement. Brand name appliances, carpet, furniture and mattress. Very happy with ours. Factory has been very receptive about sending me parts for things I can fix or okaying mobile service for other repairs.'

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
I once heard there were more Montana's on the road than anything else.

They were the #1 selling fifth wheel for many years. You still see a lot of new ones ,I suspect they still are . I have owned 2 of them, and they served me well .

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
justme wrote:
When someone says "better built" I wish they would be more specific. Otherwise, it simply is an opinion based on hearsay. Newer materials and construction techniques can cause that comment when in fact they are better in many ways. Manufacturing problems are a concern though because RVs are essentially hand-built. And then we have difficulty to work on aspects.

Are you referring to my comment?
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton