Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Temporary "driveway" over grass?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions  >  General Topics

> Temporary "driveway" over grass?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
hanish

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/20 04:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi all. We live in an HOA that requires us to have our camper van hidden from view and not in our main driveway if we want to park it at our house for longer than 24 hours. We have space on one side of our garage where we can add a fenced in area to park it, but the problem is that the existing driveway does not lead to that are so it requires either (1) driving over grass to get there, (2) pouring a concrete driveway leading to it, or (3) using gravel or something as a driveway. None of these are really desirable to us. #1 would ruin the grass, #2 is too expensive just for the occasional drive in/drive out, and #3 would look ugly near a regularly poured driveway.

I was brainstorming and thinking if there was just some temporary structure I could drag out and lay on the grass when I pull in or out and then drag it back after driving over it then that would work. Sort of like a temporary 5 minute driveway just to protect the grass. Is there anything like that?

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/20 04:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2x8 sheets of plywood. How long of a run do you have?

jrobert01

tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/02/20 04:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the ground is hard it want hurt the grass you said it was just in and out occasionally. I drive thru mine and you can not tell it. I do not when wet for long time. Have done this for years.

hanish

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/20 04:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bgum wrote:

2x8 sheets of plywood. How long of a run do you have?

Its about 35 feet to the street, but it would run adjacent to the existing driveway so I could turn the van and get it on to the existing driveway. I'm not sure about how long a length I'd need before the turn, maybe 20 feet to be safe (the van is 19 feet long)

JimBollman

Lost State of Franklin

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/20 04:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with jrobert, I use to drive across the grass at my old place all the time, no problem unless there is a lot of rain.

Another idea there is a grid you can lay do and fill with dirt and plant grass and mow as part of your yard. The grid supports the weight of the vehicle even when it is wet. Here is an Amazon link with several designs to pick from.

Lwiddis

near Bishop, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/02/20 04:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What’s your location? Is it dry, wet, cold, warm? Is the grassy area solid, soft? Hard to suggest without the details.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

2 many 2

USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/20 05:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimBollman wrote:

I agree with jrobert, I use to drive across the grass at my old place all the time, no problem unless there is a lot of rain.

Another idea there is a grid you can lay do and fill with dirt and plant grass and mow as part of your yard. The grid supports the weight of the vehicle even when it is wet. Here is an Amazon link with several designs to pick from.

This was the first thing I thought of, I knew someone that did it and it worked.

LadyRVer

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/20 05:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Paver addition (if HOA will permit) or for just a temp thing, I would roll down a big tarp, like the 20 x 10 or maybe longer, from Harbor Freight?

BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/20 06:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Welcome to the forum! [emoticon]
I'm with bgum, strips of plywood as he said.
You don't need a complete runway with them, buy 3 sheets of 5/8", rip them in half lengthwise and lay them down.

You will only ever be on 2 pieces at any time, so pick up the third and move it to the front and so on until you get there.

2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ
Dmax/Allison

2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS - 32'

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/20 06:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Plywood will definitely work. I had a very large and heavy tree planted two years ago in the back yard, first using a large tractor/back hoe for the hole and then an even larger fork lift to carry the tree from their semi trailer to the back yard. They were concerned about the weight on my driveway so they laid plywood from the street to the back yard, all on grass. When they removed the plywood there was a slight depression that was gone after a few days and no damage to the grass.

But if your lawn is dry and pretty firm it will probably not hurt to drive on on rare occasions. More often and you will begin to see depressions.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions  >  General Topics

> Temporary "driveway" over grass?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.