Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Upgrade to 5G without increases in data allowances?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Upgrade to 5G without increases in data allowances?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
jkwilson

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/20 05:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Upgrading to faster speeds while bragging that users can watch 4K movies and have 4K video calls without at least an order of magnitude data allowance increase seems like an inexplicable move from cell providers. 4K is about 7.2GB per hour which will quickly eat through any current data allowance. Kind of like having a car with a sports suspension and high horsepower engine when the only place you can drive has a stop sign every block.

I know data allowances, at least for more expensive plans, aren’t hard limits, but it seems that more subscribers with phones capable of eating data at a very high rate will result in the need for providers to throttle more often.

Is 5G going to result in a less usable network? Will 5G get the priority so the provider has bragging rights for the fastest 5G while 4G users effectively get downgraded performance?

My 2 cents is that a bigger pipe would have been a better upgrade than a faster one.

John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

Lwiddis

South of Lone Pine, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/02/20 05:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moving data faster is the goal of providers, so they can accommodate our...our continual need to download and upload more data. The pipe size is secondary to speed. If data is loaded faster, the size of the pipe isn’t an issue. Yes, 5G is preferred by providers and consumers.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/20 05:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IMHO, 5G is a first class SCAM between the phone manufacturers and the network people !

First, you have to understand that there are TWO very different radio frequencies bands used. FR1 (<6GHz, around the same frequencies used by 4G) and FR2 (24–100GHz).

Second, most carriers are sticking with FR1 (for now) because they can continue to use some of their existing equipment and it works "better" (more below). 5G in the FR1 band is NOT significantly faster than 4G ! Now you know why I call it a scam !!

The "super fast" speeds that 5G is capable of only happen in the FR2 range. FR2 does not work well in cities with tall buildings (test prove that simply walking around a corner will cause your phone to switch to 4G or drop the call completely). It also does not reach as far as FR1 signals (no help for rural areas).

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/02/20 06:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

5G from what I've read is an urban only phenomena for the foreseeable future. It has very limited range, measured in feet while 4G is in miles. So no signals away from dense population centers. Forget about it and concentrate on improving your 4G signal.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/20 06:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

5G from what I've read is an urban only phenomena for the foreseeable future. It has very limited range,

Not true ! T Mobile signals are mostly (all?) FR1. Same range as 4G but not significantly faster.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/20 06:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Let me preface by saying I don't know a thing about the differences between 2,4 and 5 G. My phone has capability of 2 and 4. My home internet has 2 and 5. Of all three, 5g performs the worst. We cut the cord and stream everything and 2g performs the most consistently. 5g drops and requires re-connecting more often than 2g. I am sure there are reasons why this happens, but between 2 and 5g, we opt for 2g. It just performs better. My son is a gamer with a pretty sophisticated PC and can't tell the difference.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/03/20 07:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

agesilaus wrote:

5G from what I've read is an urban only phenomena for the foreseeable future. It has very limited range,

Not true ! T Mobile signals are mostly (all?) FR1. Same range as 4G but not significantly faster.

So it is different but the same? They jut change the name and charge more?

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/20 07:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

Let me preface by saying I don't know a thing about the differences between 2,4 and 5 G. My phone has capability of 2 and 4. My home internet has 2 and 5. Of all three, 5g performs the worst. We cut the cord and stream everything and 2g performs the most consistently. 5g drops and requires re-connecting more often than 2g. I am sure there are reasons why this happens, but between 2 and 5g, we opt for 2g. It just performs better. My son is a gamer with a pretty sophisticated PC and can't tell the difference.
I think you've confused different sets of numbers.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/20 07:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

way2roll wrote:

I think you've confused different sets of numbers.

I don't think I did.
Home internet has 2G and 5G
phone has 2G and 4G

That's 2G, 4G and 5G across 2 devices. (2 each respectively)

2G and 4G on the phone seem to perform identical.
2G and 5G on the home internet are vastly different and 2G performs consistently better.

Feel free to point out where I confused different sets of numbers.

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/03/20 08:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm no expert but 2G is extinct. You probably must be on 3G or 4G, and if it was 2G you would not be happy with it.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Upgrade to 5G without increases in data allowances?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.