Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Battery water falls very slightly in Cell Six?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Battery water falls very slightly in Cell Six?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/20 05:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I usually check my battery water every month. (These are group 31 flooded marine batteries from NAPA.). I almost never have to add any water.

I keep the batteries hooked up to a Battery Minder Plus, one of those pulsating things.

This summer and fall, due to some fairly serious medical issues in the family (but not my immediate family), I skipped my usual battery water ritual for about four months in a row.

When I checked them the other day, five of the cells on each battery were fine. On both batteries, the sixth cell (the one nearest the positive terminal) was down about a half an ounce -- almost not down at all, but still different from the other cells.

The specific gravities of the cells were uniformly good, according to my tester.

I'm not worried about this phenomenon, but it is puzzling. Why would one particular cell lose a tiny amount of water?

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Lwiddis

near Bishop, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/02/20 05:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Half an ounce wouldn’t, doesn’t, concern me. I’m a Trojan guy...batteries and university. lol

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Ed_Gee

Central Oregon coast

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/20 07:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One cell using more water was the first sign I had of my wet cells going bad.....

Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

Lwiddis

near Bishop, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/02/20 07:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Half an ounce?

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/20 07:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Like using a thermometer and finding temp at 98.7 F

Ed_Gee

Central Oregon coast

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/20 09:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Let me rephrase - one cell starting to use more water than others was a very early symptom of battery starting to think about going bad...... not to say you don't have another year or so of good life. The fact that the SP of all cells was good and equal indicates nothing to be immediately concerned with.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/02/20 09:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree it is a sign of the cells getting out of balance. How old is the battery? Could yet have a long life ahead. Half ounce is hardly enough to lose sleep over. Probably get worse over the next six years.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/20 06:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Such obsession..

There is no "perfect" battery, every one will have cells which will vary how much water is used slightly, at the end of the day, 1/2 ounce is peanuts.

I don't dote or obsess over my batteries, I only check them ONCE A YR, typically in the spring before we start camping. This yr due to the virus, we didn't camp.. So, I didn't bother checking the water..

Recently decided to check to make sure TT is ready for winter I checked the water..

Took about 2 ounces per cell for a yr and half sitting on charge with my PD9160 with Charge Wizard.. I do not directly measure exactly how much water I added to each cell, I use store bought 16 oz bottles of water.. This yr only used ONE 16oz bottle over all six cells.. I add only enough to get close to the fill ring.

In my case, top of the plates were not exposed and that SHOULD be what you are concerned about.

Replaced my last set of GC2s at the 9 yr mark and they were using average of 4 ounces per cell (TWO 16 oz water bottles)and not holding as good of a charge as I wanted.

As long as you have a decent charging setup which drops to 13.2V your batteries will not use much water.

Your batteries are fine, don't sweat slight differences in water consumption, just don't allow the water to drop below the top of the plates and you are good to go for a long time.

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/20 09:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ponder This Dept...

Ford motorcars as far back as 3 cell batteries almost always corroded the positive terminal on the positive grounded battery. I thought this may disappear when Ford electrical systems changed polarity and voltage in 1956, but it didn't. Tar top batteries did not change things. Remember pennies stuck in the tar? The days of baking soda followed by a glob of grease. And all batteries were deep cycle. Kids. Park on a grade with a young lady turn on the radio listen to the vibrator when the tubes were warming up and silently curse as crashes of lighting static screwed up Fats Domino or Chuck Berry. While the positive cable slowly corroded.

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/20 10:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My battery book says charging is also an oxidation process that corrodes the positive plates with prolonged overcharging (as when the float voltage is a bit too high I guess).

The positive post is to the first positive plate in series in the battery, so would it get corroded more than the others and would that make for more gassing from its cell than from the others?

1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Battery water falls very slightly in Cell Six?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.