Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ford has released their 2021 towing guide

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ford 2021 towing guide

You can get the highest tow ratings with max payload package.

All of the F150 engines have received significant bumps in tow ratings.
The 2.7 is now up to 10,000lbs, the diesel is up to 12,100lbs and the 5.0 is up to 13,000lbs.

Maximum GCRW is 19,500lbs. If I recall correctly the maximum GCWR for a 1991 F350 was 18,500lbs. Things have really changed.
36 REPLIES 36

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
LERD wrote:
librty02 wrote:
What does this mean?!?! In the tow guide right under the 150s ratings...

Maximum payload and towing capabilities are for properly equipped vehicles with required equipment and a 150-lb. driver and passengerand vary based on cargo, vehicle configuration, accessories, option content and number of passengers. See label on door jamb for carrying capacity of a specific vehicle. Horsepower, torque, payload and towing are independent attributes and may not be achieved
simultaneously. For additional information, see your Ford Dealer.

Does this mean 300lbs is kept off that tire and payload rating sticker for 2021?!?!

If you look at the slide in camper section of the F150, each vehicle configuration has it's payload number listed on the chart. But at the very front of that chart area, you will see what constitutes that determination. But you will also see that it doesn't assume how many people your hauling. So the final payload will be the number on the chart PLUS 150lbs for each and every seating position on the truck. That means an additional 900lbs for a bench seat truck.

Nope, wrong. Unless I forgot how to read. Accounts for 2 - 150lb occupants, not 6. But who cares? If one is predisposed to adding up every ounce of โ€œcargoโ€ and thinks the payload number is that magical, then.... you be you.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
LERD wrote:
librty02 wrote:

Maximum payload and towing capabilities are for properly equipped vehicles with required equipment and a 150-lb. driver and passengerand vary based on cargo, vehicle configuration, accessories, option content and number of passengers. See label on door jamb for carrying capacity of a specific vehicle. Horsepower, torque, payload and towing are independent attributes and may not be achieved

Does this mean 300lbs is kept off that tire and payload rating sticker for 2021?!?!

If you look at the slide in camper section of the F150, each vehicle configuration has it's payload number listed on the chart. But at the very front of that chart area, you will see what constitutes that determination. But you will also see that it doesn't assume how many people your hauling. So the final payload will be the number on the chart PLUS 150lbs for each and every seating position on the truck. That means an additional 900lbs for a bench seat truck.

Just so long as you don't need that payload for the RV....IE: you NEED a driver, so what is the point of adding that in as payload?
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

LERD
Explorer
Explorer
librty02 wrote:

librty02
Explorer
Explorer

2011 FORD F-150 FX4 CREW CAB ECO...
2018 Ford F-150 Max Tow Crew 6.5 3.5 Eco...
2013 Keystone Passport 2650BH, EQUAL-I-ZER 1K/10K

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
Toolguy5 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
So now the F150 is max tow rated exactly the same as the best equipped F250 gasser (with 4.30s and no wd).
This is going to blow the minds of the uninformed and melt the internet weight police's keyboards at the same time!

The internet weight police have been off for a few years. :B

My experience towing my trailer with an F250 was that I would use a weight distributing hitch for towing a trailer over 10,000lbs regardless of what the manual says, at least for going far or regularly. Short, occasional trips might be OK but not regular ones.

The F250 4wd is rated to tow 15,000lbs, or 1200lbs more than the comparable F150. But that is a lot closer than it used to be!

The frame for the 2021 F150 has been strengthened to handle the heavier trailers.

Frame improvements

This is reflected in a change to formula for setting up a weight distributing hitch for the 2021 F150, calling for twice as much weight to be moved to the front axle.

Toolguy5
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
So now the F150 is max tow rated exactly the same as the best equipped F250 gasser (with 4.30s and no wd).
This is going to blow the minds of the uninformed and melt the internet weight police's keyboards at the same time!

The internet weight police have been off for a few years. :B
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
4x4ord wrote:
Groover wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
Looks like they've flattened out the torque curve of the 6.7 some: 475 HP @ 2600 rpm ... or is that a misprint?

I am seeing the same numbers in the 2020 towing guide.

Ford 2020 towing guide

That makes sense. Somewhere I had read that the 2020 Powerstroke was rated at 475 HP @ 2800 rpm. Apparently that was wrong information.

Edit: Here is one of various places I can find the 2020 Powerstroke rated at 475 HP @ 2800 rpm:click

Edit: Maybe the 2020/2021 Powerstroke makes 475 HP from 2600-2800 rpm.

I think that Ford needs a proofreader. I noticed a pretty obvious error in the 2021 towing guide where they were updating some numbers and missed one item.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Groover wrote:
philh wrote:
What's happening to SD tow numbers? Are they also going up?

Not much there. The focus this year was on the F150. The Superduty trucks generally get updated a year later.

woohoo, I'm buying 2022 MY

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
lane hog wrote:
What has my attention is this:

Pro Power Onboard
Available class-exclusive feature expands F-150โ€™s capability by bringing generator levels of exportable power to work sites and campsites.

Provides 2.0kW, 2.4kW or 7.2kW of output depending on configuration. Accessible via in-cabin outlets and up to 4 cargo bed-mounted 120-volt/20-amp outlets with a 240-volt/30-amp outlet on models equipped the available
7.2kW system.

That 2.4kW would power up my trailer nicely on an overnight Cracker Barrel stay...

It's cool, but 2.4 and 7.2 is only available on the PowerBoost models with the hybrid setup.
Nice feature, but you could buy 3 Honda 2000 generators and $500 worth of gas for the cost of ProPower and Power Boost.
I do like the concept, although....more things to go wrong/repair down the road.
Bottom line, the "Pros" aren't going to sell their construction generators. And only the Joes would spend $3000-3500 for this.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
carringb wrote:
Grit dog wrote:

And a detuned 7.3 that is essentially not any better than the outgoing 6.2. The 7.3 has 35 less hp and 30 ftlbs more tq.
Yet you can get a full power 7.3 10 speed in a F550 or F600.

Heck, the Transits will even spank the E series RVs with an Eco boost and a 10 speed.

If you get a regular E series cutaway you can get a full power 7.3 though. Just the RV/bread truck options that get saddled with the inferior drivetrain.

Very well laid out towing guide though!

The Premium tune is standard on all E-series and the F53 chassis. This is the same calibration as the F450-F750. The "Economy" tune has to be selected when ordering and is only available to fleets. The 6.2L in the E-series was not dyo certified like the 7.3L is so the numbers shouldn't be compared directly.

Well that's good to know there's an option. Guess you need to be in the know. Looking at the towing guide it says otherwise.

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
philh wrote:

Not much there. The focus this year was on the F150. The Superduty trucks generally get updated a year later.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Groover wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
Looks like they've flattened out the torque curve of the 6.7 some: 475 HP @ 2600 rpm ... or is that a misprint?

Ford 2020 towing guide

That makes sense. Somewhere I had read that the 2020 Powerstroke was rated at 475 HP @ 2800 rpm. Apparently that was wrong information.

Edit: Here is one of various places I can find the 2020 Powerstroke rated at 475 HP @ 2800 rpm:click

Edit: Maybe the 2020/2021 Powerstroke makes 475 HP from 2600-2800 rpm.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
4x4ord wrote:

Ford 2020 towing guide