cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5th wheel hitch removal

Mbiviano
Explorer
Explorer
If you are selling your truck and removing the hitch, is it customary to remove all the brackets underneath the truck or just the in bed portion?

I have a B&W Companion turnover ball hitch, so no bed rails involved, just underneath the truck.
Matt
2015 Forest River Wildcat 337FB Bunkhouse
2015 Ford F350 CC SRW PSD LB
Me/Wife/Twins/Dog
11 REPLIES 11

Mbiviano
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all for the replies, I'll just take the hitch out.
Matt
Me/Wife/Twins/Dog

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Leave what's under the bed!!! Make a deal to sell the truck then say hey if you want the hitch I will sell it for $xyz.

Sold my 18k Companion for $550 first caller CL. Then I ordered the Puck Companion for my new truck.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Have bought 3 trucks with rails...always considered it a nice bonus.

First one I bought off my brother-in-law. At first he was going to remove the rails and frame brackets...pretty quick he realized it was going to be more hassle than it's worth and they wouldn't match his new truck, so he retightened the first bolt he finally got loose and I got a truck with the rails installed.

I expect it will be similar with your non-rail system.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

johntank
Explorer
Explorer
As two or three others have said leave the turnover ball in and keep the companion to use later or sale.

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
I would leave the B&W turnover ball installed in the truck. The Companion could be reused and if it does not fit your new truck you could sell it.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m surprised that there isnโ€™t an aftermarket cover for the hole. The turnover ball is expensive. I would either keep it or sell it separately.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
I left the bedrails in my old truck when I traded it in. Not worth the hassle of removing plus it looks better than holes in the bed.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

Diamond_c
Nomad
Nomad
Iโ€™d leave it all. It probably wonโ€™t fit the new truck you get any way and it will add value to the one you are selling.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
If you have the turnover ball installed and hole in bed, I'd leave that for the next owner. No need to leave hitch.

Jerry

Mbiviano
Explorer
Explorer
gkainz wrote:
The last truck I sold with 5th wheel installed, I left the bed rails installed.

Thanks for the response, I modified my original post to indicate I don't have any bed rails, so specifically looking for advice of the underneath components. If I go to sell it, I didn't want to have half of what someone is looking for unless it's customary.
Matt
Me/Wife/Twins/Dog

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
The last truck I sold with 5th wheel installed, I left the bed rails installed.
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er