cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery problem

jornvango
Explorer II
Explorer II
2013 Chevy Tahoe with 120K miles. Battery was last replaced Jan '17.

For the past 8 months, especially after a cold night or when we haven't driven the car for a day or two, the car shows low battery level indicator and has trouble starting (but hasn't left us stranded ... yet).

A few months ago my wife left an interior light on which drained the battery enough so the car didn't start. We charged it by hooking up our solar panel to recharge it.

A few days ago after a very cold night (10 F), the battery was so low (as indicated by the gage on the dash) that it barely started.

Yesterday morning, after overnight temps around 35 F, again the battery level gage showed low and the car barely started.

We have been to Autozone / O'Reilly's multiple times and every time the battery, alternator and starter tested 'good'.

This morning I plugged a volt meter into the car. It again had trouble starting. Here are the readouts:

1. Before car start in the morning 12.0 V
2. During start 10.8 V
3. Started the car and during driving 14.7V
4. Stopped the car after driving 30 mins 12.5V
5. After 1 hour of not running 12.2 V

Any idea what is going on? It reallyfeels like one of these mornings the car is not going to start which will be a problem if we're camping off grid.

Thanks!
33 REPLIES 33

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Way to go bud!!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jornvango
Explorer II
Explorer II
Update: replaced the car battery and, even on mornings when it's teens outside, the car starts fine.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
You have a bad battery. Those testers the parts stores use always say good battery. The batteries from the chain parts stores are cheap and will only last maybe 3 years. The fact you are getting 14.7 running shows the alternator is working. The battery has a bad cell.
Get a new quality replacement battery. I use AGM's and get 9 years out of one.

If you by cheap you get cheap!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
jornvango wrote:
2013 Chevy Tahoe with 120K miles. Battery was last replaced Jan '17.

For the past 8 months, especially after a cold night or when we haven't driven the car for a day or two, the car shows low battery level indicator and has trouble starting (but hasn't left us stranded ... yet).

A few months ago my wife left an interior light on which drained the battery enough so the car didn't start. We charged it by hooking up our solar panel to recharge it.

A few days ago after a very cold night (10 F), the battery was so low (as indicated by the gage on the dash) that it barely started.

Yesterday morning, after overnight temps around 35 F, again the battery level gage showed low and the car barely started.

We have been to Autozone / O'Reilly's multiple times and every time the battery, alternator and starter tested 'good'.

This morning I plugged a volt meter into the car. It again had trouble starting. Here are the readouts:

1. Before car start in the morning 12.0 V
2. During start 10.8 V
3. Started the car and during driving 14.7V
4. Stopped the car after driving 30 mins 12.5V
5. After 1 hour of not running 12.2 V

Any idea what is going on? It reallyfeels like one of these mornings the car is not going to start which will be a problem if we're camping off grid.

Thanks!

Charge the battery well. Then do a load test. If it passes, you go on from there. If not, change battery and continue on sir
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
blofgren wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
jornvango wrote:
Krusty wrote:
You should get a battery charger and charge the battery up fully. Also, if the battery and charging system test good, perhaps there is something drawing the battery down overnight.

We ended up driving a few hours today. Upon arrival at our campsite, the battery showed 12.2 and a few seconds later 12.0

Is there any way to test if there is a draw on the battery while the car is turned off?

This tells ya it's the battery. Even with a parasitic draw, the battery would be fully charged after a 3 hour drive. And if the alternator wasn't working, you wouldn't have made it to your destination.

Reminds me of your alternator story with your Tahoe! :B

Lol!
Kinda wishing I hadnโ€™t sold that thing now!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a really weird situation a few years ago with a Sable that would pull the battery down overnight. It seemed to have an excessive draw with the engine off. After trying several several things myself and a couple of mechanics I took it to the dealer and he put in a new battery, that was all. That didn't sound right to me but it did fix the problem. I did have the presence of mind to ask for the battery that the dealer had taken out and ended up putting it in my F250 with a motor 2 and half times as big. It worked fine in the F250 for several years.

I am still puzzled as to why that battery did the job in vehicle but not another one that should have been easier for it.

jornvango
Explorer II
Explorer II
rjstractor wrote:
jornvango wrote:

Question- did they remove the battery and do a full load test? Just checking the static voltage in the car right after driving it only tells you that the battery has a surface charge and that the alternator works. A specific gravity test (hydrometer) was suggested but that's a little tough (impossible) to do on a sealed battery. I'm with the others, the battery is almost four years old and is toast.

Thanks. No, what they do is attach their testing tool while the battery is in its regular place. While monitoring the past few days in mild overnight temps, the car starts fine. For example, the past 2 days, we didn't drive the car and it started fine. Battery was at 11.9V before we started it, which probably means there's nothing drawing it very low while we're not using the car. Which also probably means that it's a battery problem then as many have suggested ... time to replace.

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
jornvango wrote:
Krusty wrote:
You should get a battery charger and charge the battery up fully. Also, if the battery and charging system test good, perhaps there is something drawing the battery down overnight.

We ended up driving a few hours today. Upon arrival at our campsite, the battery showed 12.2 and a few seconds later 12.0

Is there any way to test if there is a draw on the battery while the car is turned off?

This tells ya it's the battery. Even with a parasitic draw, the battery would be fully charged after a 3 hour drive. And if the alternator wasn't working, you wouldn't have made it to your destination.

Reminds me of your alternator story with your Tahoe! :B
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Still under autozone warranty? If the battery dies on you but still passes their load test you have to purposely kill the battery worse. Turn on 12v incandescent lights and run it down super low. If it still passes their load test talk to the manager. They have to power to call the battery bad.

Same thing happens to us during our mild winters. Truck wont start in the morning but the battery tests ok at autozone.

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
jornvango wrote:

Question- did they remove the battery and do a full load test? Just checking the static voltage in the car right after driving it only tells you that the battery has a surface charge and that the alternator works. A specific gravity test (hydrometer) was suggested but that's a little tough (impossible) to do on a sealed battery. I'm with the others, the battery is almost four years old and is toast.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are not ready yet to change the battery you might want to run a few more tests. Keep in mind that what really matters is the voltage to the starter. Connect your positive voltmeter lead directly to the starter and your negative lead to the block and see what voltage the starter is getting. If it is more than a volt or so lower than what you have been finding at the battery you may have a problem with the wiring.

Check battery + terminal to starter during starting to find the drop in that wire and engine block to battery negative terminal to find the voltage drop there. The return circuit is often overlooked but more critical than the hot side. A failure in the return circuit can cause seemingly unrelated problems elsewhere, like axle bearings. A bad ground strap from the engine to the battery can lead the return current to find an alternate path and the wheel bearings is one of them. Try to check the voltage drop across any connections or relays.

I tend to agree with the opinions that you most likely need a new battery but these tests are pretty quick and cheap so you may want to do them anyway.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Similar problem. I had the dealer change the battery under Delco warranty. The old one was a little over a year old. The dealer said they have found bad batteries in cars just off the truck from the factory. Either the batteries are not as good as they used to be OR the newer cars have parasitic draws that drain the battery even when turned off.
I'd get the battery replaced asap.
I bought a battery jumper. Cheap insurance against being stranded.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
swap batteries from another car. just for a test.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
w2dart wrote:
Do a Battery Load Test

AND a hydrometer test.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes