Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Ford 7.3 gas engine
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Ford 7.3 gas engine

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
egarant

Mission Viejo CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/04/20 04:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

Before you slam the door on a diesel, check resale numbers. At least where I live diesels are in high demand and retain better value.

I agree, resale numbers are great, but there is a huge $9,000 upfront cost to get that diesel, more expensive fuel in most cases then regular and service, if you don't do it yourself, is over the top expensive.

No more DEF, no more winter/summer additives, no more idling down for 5 minutes at each stop to cool the turbo....and the peace of mind knowing at any gas station on a lonely two lane road will be selling GAS!

2021 FORD F350 dually 4x4 with 4.30 gears
2013 Eagle Cap 950
480 Watts Solar, 2K Watt Xantrex Inverter, Reonogy MPPT Charge Controller, 250 amps of lithium batteries by LifeBlue

egarant

Mission Viejo CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/04/20 04:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BurbMan wrote:

I have to ask why FCA is re-purchasing your Ram...

That's a long story, but the short version is the 2013 was a first year production model and FCA pushed out a POS truck for us all to beta test. I was contacted by a law firm that handles these kinds of cases (they obviously know what model vehicles are having issues) and I responded.

Mind you this is at 120,000 miles, not in the Lemon Law time frame....I gave them all my papers and they filed and won a settlement. Took about 9 months.

If you or anybody else wants to know more about that just PM me.

Strategic Legal Practices is the firms name.

zzyzxpat

California

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/20 06:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

billtex wrote:

I am running a new F350 gasser with 6.2l and ten speed. (The 7.3 gassers were very difficult to find this spring...). Having said that, we couldn’t be more pleased. Have completed a full season now of hauling TC, towing boat, towing Airstream and the gasser has been great. The ten speed trannys are a game changer for gassers.
Max we tow is ~ 12,000 lbs.
Prior truck was diesel. Don’t miss diesel AT ALL. In fact, rather relieved not to be running diesel any longer.
Times change, and trucks have too.

Go drive the new F350’s. You’ll buy one.

Agree! I have a 2020 F350 4X4 SRW 6.2 and haul an AF865 camper, 4300# wet. No issues and we run the mountains out West.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/20 06:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've never had any interest in diesels and would LOVE a new Ford with a 7.3L.

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/20 06:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

Before you slam the door on a diesel, check resale numbers. At least where I live diesels are in high demand and retain better value.

This is true, but that is not the whole story.

IMHO, unless you haul/tow heavy (near the max capacity) most of the time AND drive >50K/year, the cost of fuel (diesel cost more than regular where I live), DEF and those enormously expensive oil and filter changes, diesel no longer makes sense.

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/04/20 07:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

egarant wrote:

JimK-NY wrote:

I agree, resale numbers are great, but there is a huge $9,000 upfront cost to get that diesel, more expensive fuel in most cases then regular and service, if you don't do it yourself, is over the top expensive.

No more DEF, no more winter/summer additives, no more idling down for 5 minutes at each stop to cool the turbo....and the peace of mind knowing at any gas station on a lonely two lane road will be selling GAS!

egarant wrote:

BurbMan wrote:

I have to ask why FCA is re-purchasing your Ram...

That's a long story, but the short version is the 2013 was a first year production model and FCA pushed out a POS truck for us all to beta test. I was contacted by a law firm that handles these kinds of cases (they obviously know what model vehicles are having issues) and I responded.

Mind you this is at 120,000 miles, not in the Lemon Law time frame....I gave them all my papers and they filed and won a settlement. Took about 9 months.

If you or anybody else wants to know more about that just PM me.

Strategic Legal Practices is the firms name.

It might be interesting to hear your story. I don't see the need for winter additives in the Bay area, NEVER cooled my turbo fopr five minutes, even after a hard pull, usually a minute would bring the EGT down to within reason.
If you are paying a dealer for service, likely parts and service were a few $$$. I do my own and oil changes cost about $50 to $70 depending on the cost of oil. Fuel filters I get at a discount from Geno's Garage, still to change fuel filters cost about $110, but far less than the dealer wanted $300+ to do.
You had the Aisin Trans, the service schedule is intensive if not a DIY person, due to it's intended use in medium trucks. First service at 30K, drain and fill. The second service is at 60K drain, remove pan and replace filter, refill. The MOPAR fluid is $$$, but Mobil 3309 is a listed fluid at about $4 a qt. takes 6 to 8 to refill, the filter is about $75, can't guess what the dealer charges for this service.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

bwlyon

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/20 07:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have test driven the dually and SRW Ford F-350 with 7.3 gasser both had 3.73 gears. The 10speed is smooth as butter. Power was really good, but it doesn’t feel like a race car off the line when you mash the gas. That is to be expected as the trucks weigh almost twice as much as a Mustang. Exhaust note was really good too when your on gas really hard. I think that the 7.3 is going to be a thirsty engine when it comes to mpg, but I’d never buy the cammer motor. For complete transparency, I own a 2015, Ram 3500 SRW, Laramie Longhorn Mega Cab, 6.4 Hemi, 3.73 axle ratio, with the upfitter switches. With that said, these are my gripes, the Dually 7.3 King Ranch interior isn’t up to par with the Longhorn Ram. There are far to many hard plastics compared to the Longhorn. I don’t car much for Fords infotainment system either. I also didn’t like the way the upfitter switch wiring is set up either. Here are my likes, tilt and telescoping steering wheel, Ram needs to add a telescoping steering wheel which is huge for me. I like my sweet slid way back and be able to bring the steer wheel closer to me. The suspension is set up really nice and the ride empty is **** good compared to the Ram. I also, like that Ford went back to cam in block and port fuel injection with the 7.3. I’m gonna upgrade to a dually in the next few years and am torn. I love my Longhorn, but the Ford 7.3 is very appealing. I’d like to see Ford offer a 4.10 axle ratio as an in between to the 3.73 and 4.30.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/20 08:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bwlyon wrote:

... I think that the 7.3 is going to be a thirsty engine when it comes to mpg, ...

The 7.3L had 2 goals for replacing the the old V10, better power at lower RPM and better fuel economy. They achieved both.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/20 10:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bottom line, there are sooooo many powerful, reliable and luxurious options out there now between the big 3. Gas to diesel, 6-10 speed, 3.42 to 4.30 gears, 400+hp to 1000+ tq. Interiors and features that make a 10 year old Cadillac look, well, old.
And all in a pickup truck that can tow anywhere between 5 and 15 tons comfortably, it’s really hard to believe that there are still “wants” or complaints....
Just proves that you cannot satisfy all the people all the time....

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/20 10:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can’t wait for Ford to make it available in the F450 pickup.

Anybody heard any rumors yet?

[emoticon][emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Ford 7.3 gas engine
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.