Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Ford 7.3 gas engine
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Ford 7.3 gas engine

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/20 11:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NRALIFR wrote:

I can’t wait for Ford to make it available in the F450 pickup.

Anybody heard any rumors yet?

[emoticon][emoticon]

The F450 pickup is specifically built for high towing ability, much higher than the 7.3 is rated for. The F350 pickup will actually carry more than the F450 so there would be no advantage other than the wide front end and there would be several drawbacks. I don't expect to ever see the 7.3 in an F450. It is a shame that Ford had so few takers on the F350 wide front when it was offered. I blame that on customers buying off the lot and dealers just not ordering them.

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/05/20 11:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

Before you slam the door on a diesel, check resale numbers. At least where I live diesels are in high demand and retain better value.

While I like my diesel for towing my 5er, in reality a large displacement gas engine will do just fine hauling even the biggest camper.
While you have wind resistance issues, you are not dragging four more tires over the pavement.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

mellow

Salisbury, MD

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/20 11:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My take on resale is if the 7.3L gas engine proves itself to be a stable product that you might see higher resale for it over a 6.7L diesel.

Once word gets out to the non-gearheads about godzilla they will be more than willing to pick a used one and pay top dollar to not have to deal with diesel.

They will need to start making more high flow gas pumps [emoticon] That is one thing I love about diesel, I can fill up in record time at a truck stop.

2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

mellow

Salisbury, MD

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/20 12:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NRALIFR wrote:

[emoticon][emoticon]

https://www.commercialtrucktrader.com/listing/2020-FORD-F450-5013810463

All ready for your flatbed [emoticon]

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/20 03:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah, I know the cab and chassis’s already have the 7.3, but I suspect I’d encounter the same thing I did before I bought my fist F450 pickup: due to the C&C trucks intended purpose (work), there was a lack of high-end trim levels, different engine/tranny programming, and the mandatory rear end gearing of the V10 powered trucks was undesirable. There’s also the fact that I just prefer the look of the standard pickup bed.

Groover wrote:

NRALIFR wrote:

[emoticon][emoticon]

The F450 pickup is specifically built for high towing ability, much higher than the 7.3 is rated for. The F350 pickup will actually carry more than the F450 so there would be no advantage other than the wide front end and there would be several drawbacks. I don't expect to ever see the 7.3 in an F450. It is a shame that Ford had so few takers on the F350 wide front when it was offered. I blame that on customers buying off the lot and dealers just not ordering them.

No offense intended, but that’s just not true. There is no reason why the 7.3 should not be put in the F450 pickup. None. It should be an option, and if it results in a lower tow rating, so be it. If you need the higher tow rating, you can still buy one with the diesel.

The only reason the F350 payload comes in higher than the F450 pickup is because the F450’s GVWR is intentionally capped at 14K to keep it a class 3 truck. When you can order an F350 with 19.5’s, bigger brakes, and a wide track front axle, I’ll happily buy an F350. Until then, I’ll buy the F450 pickup and ignore the phony payload rating.

[emoticon][emoticon]

* This post was edited 11/05/20 07:18pm by NRALIFR *

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/20 05:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They are putting the 7.3 in the F650 and F750, so I think it’s just a matter of time before it makes it in the F450.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 11/06/20 06:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NRALIFR wrote:

Yeah, I know the cab and chassis’s already have the 7.3, but I suspect I’d encounter the same thing I did before I bought my fist F450 pickup: due to the C&C trucks intended purpose (work), there was a lack of high-end trim levels, different engine/tranny programming, and the mandatory rear end gearing of the V10 powered trucks was undesirable. There’s also the fact that I just prefer the look of the standard pickup bed.

Groover wrote:

NRALIFR wrote:

[emoticon][emoticon]

No offense intended, but that’s just not true. There is no reason why the 7.3 should not be put in the F450 pickup. None. It should be an option, and if it results in a lower tow rating, so be it. If you need the higher tow rating, you can still buy one with the diesel.

The only reason the F350 payload comes in higher than the F450 pickup is because the F450’s GVWR is intentionally capped at 14K to keep it a class 3 truck. When you can order an F350 with 19.5’s, bigger brakes, and a wide track front axle, I’ll happily buy an F350. Until then, I’ll buy the F450 pickup and ignore the phony payload rating.

[emoticon][emoticon]

I haven't kept up with the details of the F450 pickup in the last year couple of years. I know that it was originally an F450 cab and chassis modified for a pickup bed. Ford had so many complaints about it being heavy with poor fuel economy and low speed rating (due to the 19.5" tires) that after about 2 years they went back to the F350 with a beefier rear axle for towing and a wide front but otherwise all the same limitations as an F350.

Assuming that you are correct about the current F450 pickups that could make for an attractive combination for a slide in camper. I don't think that my wife would ride in it without full air suspension though. Or at least air ride seats.

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 11/06/20 08:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The whole "resale value" thing makes me roll my eyes every time I see it.

You put $9000 in when you buy it, but you're not going to get $9000 out of it when you go to sell it. It's called DEPRECIATION.

If I don't spend the $9000 in the first place, I have it to invest or do whatever I want with it. Very good chance I come out of it with MORE than $9000, something that would never happen if I spent it on the truck. Even better if I didn't have it in the first place (i.e. financed) because then I don't have to come up with it every month as I make payments.

The other thing that makes me question my sanity is why anyone would think that any of the HD gas engines these days would have any trouble whatsoever hauling any size TC.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 11/06/20 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For me it is always easy math.
You spend $9000k up front, you save let's say $6,000 on fuel in the time you use the truck and you sell it immediately for $7,000 more than comparable truck sitting at dealer's lot with gas engine.
In the mean time you enjoy great performance and save time gassers spend at fuel pumps.
Additional brake wear on gassers can be added to calculation.

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 11/06/20 09:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

The whole "resale value" thing makes me roll my eyes every time I see it.

You put $9000 in when you buy it, but you're not going to get $9000 out of it when you go to sell it. It's called DEPRECIATION.

If I don't spend the $9000 in the first place, I have it to invest or do whatever I want with it. Very good chance I come out of it with MORE than $9000, something that would never happen if I spent it on the truck. Even better if I didn't have it in the first place (i.e. financed) because then I don't have to come up with it every month as I make payments.

The other thing that makes me question my sanity is why anyone would think that any of the HD gas engines these days would have any trouble whatsoever hauling any size TC.

The claim is often that the diesel doesn't depreciate. However, at some point the truck will end up as scrap and somewhere along the line it depreciated.

Just investing in an S&P 500 index fund has averaged about an 8% return so if you invest that money and keep your truck 10 years you will have an extra $18,000 in your account. I kept the last truck that I have sold for truck 22 years and sold it for twice what I expected to get for it even with the 460 engine in it. That was selling a 1991 model in 2013 for $7,000. I really didn't want to sell it then but thought that I could get rid of the buyer by putting that price on it. Instead he pulled out a pile of cash and drove off with it.

I didn't win any races with the 460 but it had all the power that I needed with a truck camper on the back, even when pulling my 21' offshore fishing boat behind the rig. Fuel economy was pretty good too and I would expect the new drivetrains to do much better. With the difference in fuel prices in my part of the country I don't believe there is any money to be saved on fuel for me. Back in 1991, now or anywhere in between. Engine braking was pretty effective with the 460 and much more so with the EcoBoost. I am happy with my brake life and my next truck will probably be a hybrid if not all electric. That should help even more with braking.

I have a diesel pusher now with diesel generator but I have often wished that I could try the rig with modern gasoline engines. Getting 1,500lbs out of it would be nice.

* This post was edited 11/06/20 09:20am by Groover *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Ford 7.3 gas engine
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.