Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Ford 7.3 gas engine
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Ford 7.3 gas engine

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 11/06/20 09:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

In the mean time you enjoy great performance and save time gassers spend at fuel pumps.
Additional brake wear on gassers can be added to calculation.

The additional time at the gas pump must add up to years.
Do the brakes on gassers wear out faster than the brakes on diesels?
Or is it caused from all of those additions stops at the gas stations?

LOL

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.

deserteagle56

Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 11/06/20 10:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

specta wrote:

LOL

It's called an exhaust brake. Going down a steep grade I rarely need to touch the brakes. That old Cummins seems to hold back as strongly going down the hill as it does pulling up the hill.

My rig with the V-10 seems to freewheel down a hill in comparison.

1996 Bigfoot 2500 9.5 on a 2004 Dodge/Cummins dually

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 11/06/20 10:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Groover wrote:

I haven't kept up with the details of the F450 pickup in the last year couple of years. I know that it was originally an F450 cab and chassis modified for a pickup bed. Ford had so many complaints about it being heavy with poor fuel economy and low speed rating (due to the 19.5" tires) that after about 2 years they went back to the F350 with a beefier rear axle for towing and a wide front but otherwise all the same limitations as an F350.

You’ve got it in reverse. There were only a couple of years that the F450 didn’t have the heavier suspension/tires. I think 2012-2013, but maybe someone else knows.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 11/06/20 10:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

deserteagle56 wrote:

It's called an exhaust brake. Going down a steep grade I rarely need to touch the brakes. That old Cummins seems to hold back as strongly going down the hill as it does pulling up the hill.

I haven’t had any issues with Fords going downhill if you are in tow/haul mode. Gasoline engines do engine braking by default. That’s not the case with a diesel.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 11/06/20 10:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

deserteagle56 wrote:

Engine braking is something that my truck does lack. Like yours its like having two neutrals.

But with 216,000 miles on my factory brakes it doesn't seem like much of an issue.

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 11/06/20 11:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

deserteagle56 wrote:

I haven’t had any issues with Fords going downhill if you are in tow/haul mode. Gasoline engines do engine braking by default. That’s not the case with a diesel.

When I had a truck camper the air drag took care of most situations. I got by with engine braking in low speed situations. And that was with rear drum brakes and carrying a family of 6 in 12ft Caribou. I don't recall ever changing brakes because they wore out. They were due to oil leaks or sticking calipers.

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 11/06/20 11:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

Groover wrote:

I haven't kept up with the details of the F450 pickup in the last year couple of years. I know that it was originally an F450 cab and chassis modified for a pickup bed. Ford had so many complaints about it being heavy with poor fuel economy and low speed rating (due to the 19.5" tires) that after about 2 years they went back to the F350 with a beefier rear axle for towing and a wide front but otherwise all the same limitations as an F350.

You’ve got it in reverse. There were only a couple of years that the F450 didn’t have the heavier suspension/tires. I think 2012-2013, but maybe someone else knows.

The F450 pickup started with the 2008 model year, and has never been just a cab and chassis with a factory installed pickup bed. Cab and chassis trucks have straight frame rails behind the cab. The F450 pickup has never had that.

The 2011-2014 F450 pickups were almost identical to the F350’s of the same model year. I honestly don’t know what the difference between them was other than the badging for those years. They didn’t have 19.5” tires, didn’t have the Dana S110 rear axle, or the bigger brakes that went with those. Not sure about the wide-track front axle for those years, but the 2008-2010, and 2015-2016 F450 pickups all had 19.5’s, Dana S110, bigger brakes, and a wide front axle.

I’m not as familiar with the 2017 and up F450 pickups, but it appears you can order them with 19.5’s, or some other more traditional size tires, which I would think would directly affect the axle, brake and suspension components that would go with the non-commercial tire sizes.

[emoticon][emoticon]

* This post was last edited 11/06/20 02:46pm by NRALIFR *   View edit history

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 11/06/20 01:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

specta wrote:

The additional time at the gas pump must add up to years.

LOL

I actually missed the issue of brakes wearing while making frequents stops at gas pump.
But knowing you pull a trailer on mountain roads, I bet you ride the brakes quite a bit.
My set was 7 tons with camper only, or close to 10 tons with boat and I could drive 200 miles without touching the brakes.
When I don't hesitate to drive 80 mph downhill, engine brake gives me all the braking I ever need.

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 11/06/20 02:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

Groover wrote:

Check out this video around the 40 second mark.

2011 F450 review

They may have gone back to the heavier suspension but I don't remember seeing that.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 11/06/20 04:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Groover wrote:

They may have gone back to the heavier suspension but I don't remember seeing that.

I agree that they switched away for a while and NRALIFR said 2011-2014. Newer models of the F450 are back to 19.5s and the heavy suspension.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Ford 7.3 gas engine
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.