Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Thoughts on the Cost of RVing
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Thoughts on the Cost of RVing

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next
bstar1952

Bandera, Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/04/20 11:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In the process of planning a trip next summer out to Glacier NP, Yellowstone and all the NPs in Utah. About 3800 miles, round trip, and at least 30 nights. So, I just read an article in Barrons predicting much higher gas prices after the election. It’s been a good run on low gas prices the last few years and we've got in a lot of great trips. I do remember the $3.75 - $4.50 a gallon price that was common 5-6 years ago and how that curtailed our travel to the point we could only afford to go a couple hundred miles. If prices raise to $5.00 a gallon, as being mentioned by other media, and campgrounds raising their rates as is happening, we are starting to question if we can afford to continue making long trips.
By the way, so far in my planning, campground nights will average $55. Of course some parks will be lower and some higher. With a near $4K just in gas and campground fees, probably looking at well over $6K for the trip. To get to the point of my post, wondering what other folks may be thinking about the cost of RVing these days? At what point does it get just too expensive?
Please, there is nothing political about my post and I hope comments can be civil. I also know the economics of RVing has been discussed here in the past and I’m not harping on high costs as they are what they are. Just wondering what/if folk’s concerns might be here in the present about the high cost of RVing.

Bstar1952
Bandera, Texas
2020 Ram 2500,6.4 Hemi
2019 (East to West) Della Terra 29KRK
Fastway E2 WHD Hitch

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/20 11:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok, in keeping with not being political, I don't know why gas prices would be "much higher" after the election. You can save a ton of money equipping your rig to boondock instead of expensive and likely crowded campgrounds.

I have zero concerns about higher costs. I'm well-funded in retirement.

TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/20 12:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In keeping with it not being "political", the OP should look back to see when the actual time of the highest fuel prices were. (Adjusted for inflation, it was closer to 14 years ago than the 5-6 years mentioned.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/04/20 12:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

6k seems like a high estimate. You can scrimp or splurge in an RV. If you need to scrimp then do that. If you want to splurge, do it.

I am far more concerned about actually getting a good spot to camp vs the cost.
I see no significant change in the price of fuel on the horizon. But then I am in CA where price of fuel is double until we get out of state.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Lwiddis

Bishop area, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/04/20 12:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It’s your choice to pay an average of $55 per night for private RV parks, to always need full hookups and ignore boondocking as well as city, county, state and federal campgrounds at half that price or even lower. Further it’s your choice not to seek gasoline stations that allow dumping and fresh water with a fuel fill up at no additional charge.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/20 12:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are actually paying attention to covid 19 recommendations. Due to that we are saving now and will be in a great position to travel when we feel safe. The price of gas and campgrounds come with the lifestyle. Some days it costs less and some days it costs more.

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/20 12:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

Ok, in keeping with not being political, I don't know why gas prices would be "much higher" after the election. You can save a ton of money equipping your rig to boondock instead of expensive and likely crowded campgrounds.

I have zero concerns about higher costs. I'm well-funded in retirement.

I can't explain this without getting political. anybody watching the news and promises should be well informed however.
bumpy

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/20 12:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RV travel costs....memories made.....experiences/adventures had

VS

Airplane costs per person, car rentals/shuttles hotel/motel rooms (unknown elements...bed bugs, adult activities, dirty carpets/bed spreads, shower fungus etc)

I'll take the RV regardless.

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/20 01:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RVing as a whole is the exact opposite of a wise investment, you pay for enjoyment.

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/20 01:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bumpyroad wrote:

I can't explain this without getting political. anybody watching the news and promises should be well informed however.
bumpy
He said it was in Barron's. That's not part of my news diet. Predicting the future is a very risky business, regardless of an election.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Thoughts on the Cost of RVing
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.