cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thoughts on the Cost of RVing

bstar1952
Explorer
Explorer
In the process of planning a trip next summer out to Glacier NP, Yellowstone and all the NPs in Utah. About 3800 miles, round trip, and at least 30 nights. So, I just read an article in Barrons predicting much higher gas prices after the election. It’s been a good run on low gas prices the last few years and we've got in a lot of great trips. I do remember the $3.75 - $4.50 a gallon price that was common 5-6 years ago and how that curtailed our travel to the point we could only afford to go a couple hundred miles. If prices raise to $5.00 a gallon, as being mentioned by other media, and campgrounds raising their rates as is happening, we are starting to question if we can afford to continue making long trips.
By the way, so far in my planning, campground nights will average $55. Of course some parks will be lower and some higher. With a near $4K just in gas and campground fees, probably looking at well over $6K for the trip. To get to the point of my post, wondering what other folks may be thinking about the cost of RVing these days? At what point does it get just too expensive?
Please, there is nothing political about my post and I hope comments can be civil. I also know the economics of RVing has been discussed here in the past and I’m not harping on high costs as they are what they are. Just wondering what/if folk’s concerns might be here in the present about the high cost of RVing.
Bstar1952
Bandera, Texas
2020 Ram 2500,6.4 Hemi
2019 (East to West) Della Terra 29KRK
Fastway E2 WHD Hitch
71 REPLIES 71

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
We don't consider the RV a luxury. DW has health issues and we have dogs. The RV allows us to visit family and have an occasional vacation. Whatever it cost we will have to pay I guess.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
Walaby wrote:
Trying to stay non-political.

As I understand it, there will likely be a decrease or elimination of subsidies paid to the oil industry. While I don't really understand the eventual impact of reducing or eliminating these subsidies, I do know that generally speaking, when any business has an increase in operating costs, and subsequently a reduction in profit, the tendency is to pass those costs on to the consumer.

Add to that, the likelihood that corporate taxes will increase, and one can easily see where the cost of the goods impacted by these increases will themselves, increase.

So, while I do agree, supply and demand is a driver, and in my opinion, the biggest driver, I don't believe we can ignore the impact of increase COGS (Cost of Goods Sold) will have.

Mike

Just the usual hype from the usual suspects to garner votes from those that think they are a victim. Read about the lies used to feed the "victims".

that article was over 4 years old, anything more recent/applicable?
doesn't fracking affect the supply end of the equation?
bumpy

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Walaby wrote:

As I understand it, there will likely be a decrease or elimination of subsidies paid to the oil industry. While I don't really understand the eventual impact of reducing or eliminating these subsidies, I do know that generally speaking, when any business has an increase in operating costs, and subsequently a reduction in profit, the tendency is to pass those costs on to the consumer.

Add to that, the likelihood that corporate taxes will increase, and one can easily see where the cost of the goods impacted by these increases will themselves, increase.

So, while I do agree, supply and demand is a driver, and in my opinion, the biggest driver, I don't believe we can ignore the impact of increase COGS (Cost of Goods Sold) will have.

Mike

Just the usual hype from the usual suspects to garner votes from those that think they are a victim. Read about the lies used to feed the "victims".

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

wapiticountry
Explorer
Explorer
bstar1952 wrote:
ferndaleflyer wrote:
I bought gas here today for $1.70, another place had it for $1.60. I may never see that again if all the green new deal works out. Never mind all my oil and fracking leases. Don’t look good folks.

Yes, this is what I fear may happen very soon. Delving into more research on the carbon tax scheme, which I don't fully understand, looks like I maybe should be just as worried about the cost of electric/natural gas for the house, propane and anything else dealing with fossil fuels. An uncertain economic future for sure, at least for us.
Your scenarios may be on the wish list of a few politicians and Hollywood-types, but the promotion and passage of any laws, policies and regulations that actually significantly increased the costs of utilities and fuels would quickly be the demise of the politicians that implemented them. Same with things like raising the costs of Medicare, lowering Social Security benefits and changes to other legacy entitlements. Those items are referred to as "the third rail" because touching them will kill you politically.
You can probably expect some nibbling around the edges of Carbon based fuels, but wholesale changes aren't going to happen. The next elections in 2022 and 2024 hang over all the politicians heads like the Sword of Damocles. Rocking the boat is not in the best interests of those in power, and the collective those in power ALWAYS do what is in their best interests.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
obiwancanoli, well said!! And let me add to your terrific list -- when Covid clears up, you gotta see the Canadian Rockies.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

bstar1952
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:
I bought gas here today for $1.70, another place had it for $1.60. I may never see that again if all the green new deal works out. Never mind all my oil and fracking leases. Don’t look good folks.

Yes, this is what I fear may happen very soon. Delving into more research on the carbon tax scheme, which I don't fully understand, looks like I maybe should be just as worried about the cost of electric/natural gas for the house, propane and anything else dealing with fossil fuels. An uncertain economic future for sure, at least for us.
Bstar1952
Bandera, Texas
2020 Ram 2500,6.4 Hemi
2019 (East to West) Della Terra 29KRK
Fastway E2 WHD Hitch

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer
Haven't read all seven pages yet.
To OP:
You need to figure your cost if you don't take the RV.
How much for airfare, rental cars, hotel rooms, no eating/drinking in the rv, you have to go out to a restaurant or bar, or eat in the hotel.

Now add that estimated cost and compare to estimated RV cost for the same trip.

Then, figure in the "comfort factor" of staying in your own bed.

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer
kellem wrote:
Illiteracy taking the forefront here, sorry.
Supply and demand controls fuel costs.

Doesn't matter who's in office, wow.

Bingo!

obiwancanoli
Explorer
Explorer
Lifestyle. Passion. Convenience. Adventure. Joy.

I could come up with more, but I'd be boring you.

I remember the first time I visited Yellowstone, Arches and Zion, the Canyonlands of Southern Utah, the Grand Canyon... Not only was I in awe of the magnificent examples of Mother Nature's power, I felt like I was the first person to see it. It was one of the most powerful moments in my life, and for a while, I felt out of time... It was as if I were an explorer on the adventure of a lifetime, and I wanted more. Much more.

Each of us adjusts our lifestyle to do and have the things we want that make our lives worth living. For me, it's also about sharing that experience, an almost religious perspective on the power of my God, and his agent, Mother Nature, to provide me with experiences, in some ways, too magnificent for words to describe. But I knew in my heart, each time, that this was where I wanted - needed - to be. It felt like it was something I HAD to do. Thus, we find ways to make the lifestyle fit our budgets, that we may satisfy the passion in our lives to explore, to find peace, solitude, and joy in the time we have left.

Fuel cost? RV park cost? Maintenance? Everything else? Not especially important takeaways, compared to the benefits... saved a long time to reach a comfortable retirement, and, lucky for me, I reached that goal. And while Covid has limited my travels, this first year of retirement is but a peek into a future ripe with adventure, and the exploration of a land I've spent too little time getting to know better...

I can only hope my contemporaries find their RV lifestyles as fulfilling for them as it is for me...

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
Old-Biscuit wrote:
RV travel costs....memories made.....experiences/adventures had

VS

Airplane costs per person, car rentals/shuttles hotel/motel rooms (unknown elements...bed bugs, adult activities, dirty carpets/bed spreads, shower fungus etc)

I'll take the RV regardless.

This is where we are. Anyone who buys and RV to save money made a wrong turn somewhere in the thought process. When it starts getting more expensive we will need adjust how/where/when we go.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
The prices are down because supply is greater than demand. No deal, green or otherwise involved. Just simple economics. One more lesson. It will change. Always does.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III

_1nobby
Explorer
Explorer
bstar1952 wrote:
In the process of planning a trip next summer out to Glacier NP, Yellowstone and all the NPs in Utah. About 3800 miles, round trip, and at least 30 nights. So, I just read an article in Barrons predicting much higher gas prices after the election.

But how many SMILES per gallon???