cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inquiring minds want to know.-- Strange bracket

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
I have a Montana 5th wheel. At the awning which covers the slide outs there is a bracket that I do not know what it is used for. Each of the 3 slides has 1 of these brackets. There is only one per slide.

Next question, the awning looks like there is a locking tab. Should this awning be locked while traveling? If so how?
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos
6 REPLIES 6

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
Durb wrote:
The piece that is sticking up is an anti-billow device which keeps your topper from rolling out when driving. Can't say regarding the bracket. I installed the same brand toppers on my trailer and there were no brackets like that in the box.

Looks like this is the answer Thanks
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
If they all line up with the anti-billow arm on all the covers, I'm betting they wanted to give it a solid place to hit rather than the fiberglass.

Slide covers are held in via the internal spring in the roller. If the wind hits in the right way while driving, it can create enough force to overcome the spring and unroll the canvas. To solve this, they add the little arm which will hit something solid and stop it from unrolling (when putting the slides out, the whole mechanism moves away from the side, so the little arm doesn't hit anything and the canvas unrolls).
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
schlep1967 wrote:
It looks like a stop plate for the piece that is sticking up in your pic. If that piece sticking up with the rubber foot on it were turned toward the trailer it would sit on that plate.

Just my guess. I would look up the model and find some pics of it installed on other trailers.

Durb wrote:
The piece that is sticking up is an anti-billow device which keeps your topper from rolling out when driving. Can't say regarding the bracket. I installed the same brand toppers on my trailer and there were no brackets like that in the box.

Two great answers, as I installed my own Dometic awnings, I needed to install on mine. The 6' bedroom slide has one, the 13' super slide has two, one at each end.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Durb
Explorer
Explorer

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
It looks like a stop plate for the piece that is sticking up in your pic. If that piece sticking up with the rubber foot on it were turned toward the trailer it would sit on that plate.

Just my guess. I would look up the model and find some pics of it installed on other trailers.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I don't know the answer, but it looks like a generic awning probably used on multiple RVs. But if no answer here, try over on the Montana Owners Club forum (MOC).

MOC