cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

road trip in Feb or March

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
DH and I are looking for new places to enjoy in Feb/March. WE have a 34'Class A, with toad.We are leaving from the Northern Neck area of Va and planning on going first to SC (Chesterfield area), then Myrtle Beach where we have friends. From there, going south to Savannah and St Augustine areas. Have done all of these before. Question is, where next? Don't want to head so far south as the Keys, and have been to Tampa area and Pensacola. Please, not Orlando! Any other ideas? I'm a history buff and we love to wander. Not looking for a lot of physical activity, but greatly enjoy going places we have never been that have interesting quirks or just simple things to do. Plan on being on the road about a month. Don't have to stay in Florida! We are both almost 70 but still physically well. Nothing too taxing, but walking is fine.Ideas on CGs would also be welcome.
Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!
13 REPLIES 13

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
Have you ever been to some of the springs in Central Florida?? Rainbow Springs is amazing! You can rent Kayaks and float down the river. Something like a half billion gallons of spring water a day comes out of the ground and forms the river.

Manatee Springs is really pretty. There are tons of different springs in the area.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
After leaving Savannah, stop at Jekyll Island, GA (Exit 29 on I-95). Lots of history on Jekyll Island and many miles of walking and biking paths. February can get chilly, although the last couple years it was nice. March will be very nice weather. There are a couple restaurants on the island, but a short drive (15 minutes) to St. Simons Island will offer a lot more dining choices, including some fine dining. There is also Fort Frederica National Monument on St. Simons Island. Both Jekyll and St. Simons Islands are barrier islands with beaches. Jekyll Island's beaches are nicer.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

Mayor30
Explorer
Explorer
St Augustine has a lot of history. So do some of the Florida state parks like Ft Desoto.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
2 Retired wrote:
DH and I are looking for new places to enjoy in Feb/March.
WE have a 34' Class A, with toad.We are leaving from the Northern Neck area of Va and planning on going first to SC (Chesterfield area), then Myrtle Beach where we have friends.
From there, going south to Savannah and St Augustine areas.
Have done all of these before.

Question is, where next?
Don't want to head so far south as the Keys, and have been to Tampa area and Pensacola.
Please, not Orlando! Any other ideas?
I'm a history buff and we love to wander.
Not looking for a lot of physical activity, but greatly enjoy going places we have never been that have interesting quirks or just simple things to do.
Plan on being on the road about a month.
Don't have to stay in Florida! We are both almost 70 but still physically well.
Nothing too taxing, but walking is fine.
Ideas on CGs would also be welcome.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Couple areas come to mind - Hilton Head - Great beaches - and as it is not yet Warm - fewer people, making it IMHO a great option. If not the Island the there are many great little places around to Explore. A good while back we were in Florida and found it just Too Hot - Too Sticky - and Too Crowded, so we left to Hilton Head, and loved it.

If you need to be a little further south - Amelia Island comes to mind - but the CG there might require some real Luck to get in, as it is right on the Beach. 🙂

Another spot we have enjoyed in the Shoulder seasons - Biltmore Estate, Asheville, North Carolina - while you may feel it is a little cool - it is often warm enough, and again the crowds are just non existent, that time of Year. We usually try to get into the Lake Toxaway area whenever we get near Ashville as it too is fun.

On the way back home Williamsburg might be fun, lots to do and History is just about everywhere - plus in March it is often Great Weather.

Just a few ideas from an Old Guy - who has found that Florida is really not my style.

Hope this is of some Help.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
ditto to Williamsburg and also Jamestown, and if you like horses, the Assateague ponies.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Choose the State you would like to visit and do a Google search for `_______ tourism', put the State in the blank and read the suggestions of the experts.
How about Colonial Williamsburg?
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gulf Shores area in Alabama would be our pick. We've been all around AL but never camped there.
Puma 30RKSS

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
I 2nd the Louisiana idea. Maybe go as far west as Lafayette. Anything farther west will be hurricane damaged. The food and the Cajun culture are probably quite different than Virginia. We've been known to drive over just for lunch.
My Louisiana people were from Northern Neck (Cople) in the 1700's so we're headed your way this spring to do a little research. Belle Isle SP I think.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
Be sure to see the Christmas lights -- National Geographic calls St. Augustine's one of the top 10 in the world.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

dennis1949
Explorer
Explorer
We are going to St Augustine the second week of Jan. Suppose to go up to mid 70's everyday
Dennis Carpenter
Decatur Alabama
2012 GMC 3/4 ton Z71 Diesel
2016 Forest River Blue Ridge. 3045 RL

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
St. Augustine fits the bill -- just go there again & see things you haven't seen yet!
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

Flute_Man
Explorer
Explorer
How about the gulf coast all the way over to New Orleans?
Jerry Parr
05 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350
04 Honda CR-V
Ham Radio K7OU
Retired EE
Jrparr32@gmail.com
602-321-8141
Full-timer

mellow
Explorer
Explorer
Have you gone to Cape Canaveral area yet? Kennedy Space Center is pretty cool.

https://www.kennedyspacecenter.com/launches-and-events
2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!