Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Maritmes phone coverage
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Canada

> Maritmes phone coverage

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/20 02:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Subject to covid & border opening of course plan A next year is a trip to the Maritimes with at least a month on Newfoundland.

The plan is to take our unlocked phone with us & get a pay as you go sym for the 3-4 months we hope to be in those provinces

The question is, which service provider has the best all round coverage for those provinces?

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Flyboy320

Tappen, BC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/05/20 03:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just googled TELUS, Bell and Rogers websites to view their "coverage maps". Lots of good info on their websites.

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/05/20 04:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just get the appropriate program from AT&T. It might be more expensive but it's less hassle-no special SIM card, generous minutes, texting, etc. Have used it many times with no issues.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

chiefneon

Livingston, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/05/20 05:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Howdy!

We had no problems using our AT&T phones in the Canadian Maritimes and Newfoundland when we visited. We did turn off our internet data as it would have been expensive, but the phones worked just fine. Our AT&T phone service covered us in Canada when we traveled to Alaska also year before last. So I would check with you phone service carrier. If it’s not covered it may be cheaper to add it than to purchase another service in Canada.

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon

Darryl&Rita

Grande Prairie, Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/20 07:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AT&T partners with Telus for roaming, so their coverage map will give you an indication of service. Other US providers have different partners to roam with. Be aware that data is crazy expensive up here, especially on roaming packages.

***UPDATE 2006 3500 SRW MegaCab pulling a 2007 fleetwood 5'er

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 11/06/20 05:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unfortunately I don't have a US provider, such as AT&T. For the months that we are in the US we use Straight Talk & TracPhone. Straight Talk offers a plan for calls from the US TO Canada but nothing for use IN Canada, hence the question about a pay as you go provider IN Canada.

More research needed. Phone options these days is bewildering. One option definitely out is my roaming with my Bermuda phone. Might as well get a satellite phone for their charges.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/06/20 06:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Following: I would be nice to hear about the Canadian Pay-As-You-Go plans. Having data access is more important than calling for us.

It's not hard (or at least it shouldn't be) to swap out SIM cards. When we land in a new country, it's usually 15-20min at a kiosk and they put the SIM in and get it operational before we leave the airport...and it's usually dirt cheap in most other countries. Coming back to the USA, it's a huge hassle, hopefully Canada hasn't taken the USA lead of making it difficult.

Key point: Differentiate data limits from Hot Spot data limits.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

almcc

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/06/20 07:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Veebyes wrote:

Unfortunately I don't have a US provider, such as AT&T. For the months that we are in the US we use Straight Talk & TracPhone. Straight Talk offers a plan for calls from the US TO Canada but nothing for use IN Canada, hence the question about a pay as you go provider IN Canada.

More research needed. Phone options these days is bewildering. One option definitely out is my roaming with my Bermuda phone. Might as well get a satellite phone for their charges.

My suggestion would be to get an AT&T sim card and subscribe to a pay as you go plan. I think that you can still get the sim cards in WalMart in the US. As mentioned AT&T partners with Canadian suppliers, here in Ontario they pair with Rogers. I use AT&T when in the US in the winter (although not this winter!)and here in Canada as well, their data rates are much more reasonable than the Canadian outfits, even including the exchange rates. I use the phone (AT&T) as a wifi hotspot in the US and Canada as well , works great.

trigley

Central Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 11/06/20 02:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would recommend something compatible with Bell or Telus. It has been several years since I had a Rogers phone and the reason for this is that they did not have anywhere near the rural coverage that the other 2 had. This included a trip through the Maritime provinces.
Thiswebsite indicates this may still be the case.
No knock on Rogers as a company. It just appeared remote coverage was not on their priority list.

Darryl&Rita

Grande Prairie, Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 11/06/20 05:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Veebyes wrote:

Get on Craigslist, or any shopping centre phone reseller, and get an unlocked phone. Your StraightTalk phone will NOT connect to any cell towers outside of US providers, and can't be changed.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Canada

> Maritmes phone coverage
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.