cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Riding in Cal City

william_04_x
Explorer
Explorer
Going with friends for the first time over Thanksgiving.

We have an X3 with Utah license plates. Do we need the Cal City OHV permit?

Any good tips on trails to ride? We can do 100 miles a day.
05 WW FS2600
Dragging around Can Am and Polaris junk
21 REPLIES 21

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
I'm AZ plated and had to buy a permit in Colorado.

Yep you are correct one of my favorite riding areas too More Infor:

https://cpw.state.co.us/buyapply/Pages/RegistrationsOHV.aspx#:~:text=Colorado%20residents%20with%20P...
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I'm AZ plated and had to buy a permit in Colorado.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

dedmiston
Dirtclods wrote:
I'll just add something to keep you all confused. If you haven't registered your bikes quad or UTV for a Long... while just buy a non-resident pass. They only look at the sticker they don't ask for current registration.

http://www.ohv.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=25669

Great link. That answers the reciprocity for out of state question too.

If I were the OP, I'd print that page and stick it in my glove box, just in case Mr. Ranger has an attitude.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
I'll just add something to keep you all confused. If you haven't registered your bikes quad or UTV for a Long... while just buy a non-resident pass. They only look at the sticker they don't ask for current registration.

http://www.ohv.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=25669
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

william_04_x
Explorer
Explorer
As far as reciprocity, my understanding is that many western states no longer reciprocate home state OHV permits. Every affected state wants you to buy their local non resident permit. That is a different circumstance than plated vehicles.
05 WW FS2600

william_04_x
Explorer
Explorer
So, to try and clear things up I called the Cal City info number, and asked them if a UT plated SxS was exempt from the local permit.

The nice lady told me it "should" be fine. Perfect! LOL

Didn't even ask about the red/green sticker thing. Before our machines were plated I'd just get CA non resident OHV permits, and never had any issues at Dumont(12 trips a season). But then again, never got stopped, or stopped to ask.

Oh well. We did get our annual water/dump pass in the mail. Ready to go.
05 WW FS2600

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
Dirtclods wrote:
dedmiston wrote:
Oh, and as for your plated UT x3, California doesn't reciprocate out of state plated SxS, so you might not qualify based on this technicality.

Not true! It's no different then an out of state vehicle traveling state to state on vacation. I'm plated in AZ. I've been to Cal-City a dozen times other places with no issues!!

That's great. I've read a lot of posts on other forums about people getting hassled with out of state plated SxS's. I'm glad you haven't been hassled in Cal City.

What usually happens because their plated their "not required" to wear a helmets. Hench forth ~ (RED FLAG) And from what I've personally seen a few of these drivers have had a few too... many cold ones and that's what gets them in trouble. We always wear helmets and don't imbed till we're back at camp.
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

dedmiston
Dirtclods wrote:
dedmiston wrote:
Oh, and as for your plated UT x3, California doesn't reciprocate out of state plated SxS, so you might not qualify based on this technicality.

Not true! It's no different then an out of state vehicle traveling state to state on vacation. I'm plated in AZ. I've been to Cal-City a dozen times other places with no issues!!

That's great. I've read a lot of posts on other forums about people getting hassled with out of state plated SxS's. I'm glad you haven't been hassled in Cal City.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:

AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

dedmiston

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

dedmiston
We hit Randsburg on Friday and it was crazy busy. I'm always so happy for them when they're busy, but this was unusual. They weren't expecting the crowds on a Friday, so they were slammed. It's worth the wait though. The food was great and so were the fountain shakes.

We also took a long ride from Spangler down to the Jawbone Store. I was hoping for a band and BBQ on Saturday, but they were quiet. Luckily they had opened their kitchen and were making burgers and dogs. The food was surprisingly good.

The weather was great for riding on Friday and Saturday. Yesterday was about the windiest I've ever seen. It blew snow into Randsburg and Dove Springs.

It was still in the mid 20s when we hitched up this morning at 6:30. Brrr. I'm still cold!

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
william_04_x wrote:
Going with friends for the first time over Thanksgiving.

We have an X3 with Utah license plates. Do we need the Cal City OHV permit?

Any good tips on trails to ride? We can do 100 miles a day.

When you enter off off Twenty Mule Team Road you do not need a permit. The Town of Ransburg is nice to cuz to have lunch check out all of the old stores.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burro_Schmidt_Tunnel

http://www.jawbonecanyonstore.com/

https://www.desertusa.com/cities/ca/randsburg-ca.html

https://jawbone.org/ohvmap/index.php/maps-guides/ctuc-trail-maps/friends-of-jawbone-ohv-map
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
Keep in mind that the Cal City regulations apply ONLY to Cal City land (private) and not BLM land (federal). Not sure the plate is recognized on federal land. I know if you have an out of state OHV you need a CA temp. permit (temp. green sticker).
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

william_04_x
Explorer
Explorer
momentum rv wrote:
We go out there all the time and do have a permit for our RZR. Being street legal you should NOT need the permit. Worst case they stop you and sell you one on the spot $15. We have never been stopped.

You'll want to check out Randsburg (lunch) and also the Husky monument! Burro Schmidt tunnel, and lots of other things to see out there.

Great info. Thanks!
05 WW FS2600