Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Those that have tuned or programmed
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Those that have tuned or programmed

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/20 03:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:

4x4ord wrote:

That sounds wonderful. If the Ram grill area is large enough to supply cooling for 475 sustained rear wheel HP we likely haven’t seen the end of the hp increases from the factory trucks.

You are forgetting about emissions again and how they play into the sustained performance and efficiency of a stock engine.

I could not sustain 475 hp at the wheels on stock turbo with emissions equipment.

Who said anything about leaving the turbo as is? Cummins can change whatever they need to.

2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/20 03:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

ShinerBock wrote:

4x4ord wrote:

That sounds wonderful. If the Ram grill area is large enough to supply cooling for 475 sustained rear wheel HP we likely haven’t seen the end of the hp increases from the factory trucks.

You are forgetting about emissions again and how they play into the sustained performance and efficiency of a stock engine.

I could not sustain 475 hp at the wheels on stock turbo with emissions equipment.

Who said anything about leaving the turbo as is? Cummins can change whatever they need to.

I said stock turbo AND emissions equipment. You also cannot go too big on a stock turbo due to low rpm emissions even with a VGT. The high power numbers of today's trucks are not sustained for the most part. Like the 475 hp at the crank of the new PSD, it is not sustained and will defuel to a lower power as temps rise.

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/20 04:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Whatever Shiner. Everything has got to be an argument with you .... I'm sure you're aware of the significant changes made to the 2020 Powerstroke. Steel pistons; stronger connecting rods and main bearings; stiffened block; redesigned heads to provide better cooling; new VGT turbo; new injectors; 36000 psi fuel injection system; split stream piston cooling jets; lowered compression ratio; redesigned 10r140 transmission. Is your theory that this was done to give a little short burst of power so they could maintain bragging rights for highest in class HP? I'll put my confidence in a factory Cummins or Powerstroke having sustained HP ratings before believing the guy who throws a tuner and turbo on his truck and claims he has 475 sustained rear wheel HP.

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/07/20 06:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:

4x4ord wrote:

Hummm 2015 Ford stock 440HP tuner 40HP bump on a stock engine with all emissions intact.

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/20 06:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Argument? I am just stating facts that even the new 475 crank hp Powerstroke is not a sustained power level and will defuel when temps get too hot. All diesel engine will do this to a certain extent. If you don't believe me, go ask a Ford engineer or the guys at Calibrated Power Solutions who made that tuned towing comparison video Fish posted a while back. Heck, they even state it in one of the videos in that series.

I am sorry if you can't handle the truth and think it is an argument. I would suggest to stop quoting me like you did in this thread if that is not something you want to hear. Truth is, some manufacturers post sustained power numbers and some post quick burst power numbers that cannot be sustained over long periods of time under heavy load.

Better yet, go buy an Edge CTS monitor and watch EGT, commanded fuel pressure, actual fuel pressure. You will see fuel pressure starts to drop (defuelinng) when EGTs get too high.

* This post was edited 11/07/20 07:06pm by ShinerBock *

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/20 06:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Edd505 wrote:

ShinerBock wrote:

4x4ord wrote:

Hummm 2015 Ford stock 440HP tuner 40HP bump on a stock engine with all emissions intact.

You are mixing wheel horsepower with crank horsepower. My 475 hp at the wheels is 546 hp at the crank with the standard 15% drivetrain loss. A 440 hp at the crank with another 40 hp is 480 hp at the crank which is about 408 hp at the wheels with a 15% drivetrain loss.

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/20 07:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is a good video from Calibrated Power Solutions on towing at higher power levels. They go over what to watch and what supporting mods are needed to tow at higher power levels. Keep in mind that they are talking wheel horsepower not crank horsepower.

Towing in the race tune

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/20 09:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:

Argument? I am just stating facts that even the new 475 crank hp Powerstroke is not a sustained power level and will defuel when temps get too hot. All diesel engine will do this to a certain extent. If you don't believe me, go ask a Ford engineer or the guys at Calibrated Power Solutions who made that tuned towing comparison video Fish posted a while back. Heck, they even state it in one of the videos in that series.

I am sorry if you can't handle the truth and think it is an argument. I would suggest to stop quoting me like you did in this thread if that is not something you want to hear. Truth is, some manufacturers post sustained power numbers and some post quick burst power numbers that cannot be sustained over long periods of time under heavy load.

Better yet, go buy an Edge CTS monitor and watch EGT, commanded fuel pressure, actual fuel pressure. You will see fuel pressure starts to drop (defuelinng) when EGTs get too high.

I know the Cat in my 07 Peterbilt will defuel when it gets too hot on a long hard pull. I suspect my Ford will defuel if ever gets too hot and I hope the Cummins will as well. I see that as a good thing. When TFL pulled 30,000 lbs up to the Eisenhower tunnel I wouldn’t call that a short burst of HP.

C Schomer

Pueblo West, Co.

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/20 09:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Super Dave… Hopefully you have a pyrometer so you can watch the exhaust heat. Is economy less power than Tow? Tow should be safe so start with that but I would also try economy, just out of curiosity. I had a Diablo sport stack on my 03, 6 speed truck. Tow was 60 and economy was 100 hp. With a bigger towing turbo and all the air and exhaust mods I could run the 100 easily. The 100 was actually a better towing tune than the 60 and i got better mpg with the 100. Wwatch the gauges and try economy and tow and see which one you like better. Watch out for clutch or transmission slipping and also see which one provides better drive ability. Craig

2012 Dodge dually diesel. CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WHOEVER INVENTED WORK DIDN'T HAVE AN RV!

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/07/20 09:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used my programmer just to adjust for the gear ratio change, lower the shift points, and firm up the transmission shifting.
No need for additional performance. What will it save you really on a 5 hour drive?

If it had a fuel economy setting I may have considered it.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Those that have tuned or programmed
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.