Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Those that have tuned or programmed
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Those that have tuned or programmed

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/20 06:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, I will let my hot shot buddies who have put well over 300k miles towing with the 400+hp at the wheels that a guy on a forum who has never owned a tuned and moded truck like theirs did the math on their radiator sizes and said they better be watching their gauges because they are pushing it. I am not concerned, but maybe your math is enough to trump their real world experience and make them more concerned.

God forbid they make more power than the mighty 475 crank hp Powerstroke. Something has to be found wrong if they do because only that engine was built to handle it.

* This post was edited 11/10/20 07:04am by ShinerBock *

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/20 08:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You have no reason to be concerned. You’re not towing anything more with your truck than what it was designed for. You don’t need cooling for power your not using.

2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/20 09:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ya know, 4x4ord, you seem like a really cool guy, but the constant, insistent antagonism is, well, not a great trait.

Like the guys on another forum who recently have absolutely insisted that a dually is no more difficult to to drive in the city, when another member was contemplating going up to a dually for occasional heavy towing but as a daily city driver vehicle.

What transpired was all the antagonists were truck drivers and because "they" could drive a "long nose Pete" through downtown....wherever....with a 53' trailer, everyone else who was whining about a "little dually" was an idiot who couldn't drive and shouldn't be allowed on the road....

The internet is a great social experiment that many can learn good or bad personal behaviors from.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/20 09:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

I was able to find the dimensions of the radiator used on the 2013 - 2018 Ram. It has a surface area of 588 square inches. For comparison the rad used on a 2008 - 2016 Peterbilt class 8 has a surface area of 1672 square inches. It seems to me that a person better be watching his gauges very closely if he’s going to tow with a tuned truck. Years ago I added power to a Duramax and destroyed the transmission towing with it.

I can't tell which side of the discussion you are on!

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/20 09:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I actually have towed more than what my 3.42 standard output Cummins truck was designed for on multiple occasions when transferring our cabbed John Deere 4020 tractor between properties about once or twice a year for the past five years because my father-in-laws F350 6.0 was not up to the task. Now that he has his 2019 F350 3.55, he tows it, but requires a lower gear at a higher rpm than my truck to do so.

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/20 09:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^^^I bet if you were to ever climb a long 6 or 7% grade at 60 mph, on a hot day with that 4020 you'd watch your gauges very close. In a situation like that, would you have to back off to prevent overheating or would your programmer defuel for you?

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/20 10:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

^^^I bet if you were to ever climb a long 6 or 7% grade at 60 mph, on a hot day with that 4020 you'd watch your gauges very close. In a situation like that, would you have to back off to prevent overheating or would your programmer defuel for you?

If my temps were getting hot then I would defuel myself while my father-in-laws stock F350 will do it on its own. There are limiter built into my tuning files that, but I back it down before they are reached. Although I am not sure what the point is here since I have already stated that the various power levels I use are based on the load and temps I am at just like the stock engines. Are you not reading what I am posting? I would also ask what is the point putting my truck in a scenario it will likely never be in because I would have went with a different truck set up (like a 4.10 DRW HO) if that were the case?

The main difference is that I can sustain higher power levels than stock since I have mods that can support higher power levels and reduce how much heat the cooling system has to shed versus stock. My coolant system does not have to keep an EGR cooler and turbo actuator cool on top of keeping the engine cool. My intake is set up in a way to keep temps 10% lower than stock, and there hardly any resistance pressure in my 5" exhaust. This is essentially the same setup that my hot shot friends use on the DRW HO's that allows them to keep it at 425 hp at the wheels towing much heavier weights than I am on a regular basis.

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/20 11:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been reading what you posted. You didn’t seem to appreciate my post suggesting the need to watch your gauges closely when towing with a tuned truck. I just wondered what would happen if you ignored them. Seems like we agree that tuning a truck puts it in a category where you need to be careful with it while towing. I also agree with you that your turbo upgrade is a very important addition if you’re wanting to tow with a tuned truck. You come across as though you don’t think the cooling system on a stock Ram is a very limiting factor when you start adding power. I know first hand the kind of cooling that is required to put 400 hp to the pavement with a truck.... and I know you’re not going to get that kind of cooling out of a 27 x 22 inch radiator. Getting rid of the EGR is not what it used to be. Basically you can’t throw a turbo and tuner on a pick up and turn it into a Freightliner.

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/20 12:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

I have been reading what you posted. You didn’t seem to appreciate my post suggesting the need to watch your gauges closely when towing with a tuned truck. I just wondered what would happen if you ignored them. Seems like we agree that tuning a truck puts it in a category where you need to be careful with it while towing. I also agree with you that your turbo upgrade is a very important addition if you’re wanting to tow with a tuned truck. You come across as though you don’t think the cooling system on a stock Ram is a very limiting factor when you start adding power. I know first hand the kind of cooling that is required to put 400 hp to the pavement with a truck.... and I know you’re not going to get that kind of cooling out of a 27 x 22 inch radiator. Getting rid of the EGR is not what it used to be. Basically you can’t throw a turbo and tuner on a pick up and turn it into a Freightliner.

Again, have you even been reading my posts? Seriously, go back and real all of them and you will notice me telling people that they need gauges and supporting mods when they are towing heavy on high power level tunes. This isn't my first rodeo and I know what my truck is capable of along with what it's limits are. I am not sure why you feel the need to explain things to me like I don't.

So please, stop being so concerned for what gear I tow in and and what power levels I choose to do it in. Besides, I probably have way more experience behind tuned vehicles and various medium/heavy duty diesel engines(both driving them and test cell dyno testing) than you do so why would I listen to an armchair quarterback with less experience especially one that doesn't have any experience driving what I do?

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/20 02:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've towed with a performance tune for years without issue but posses common sense.

My only complaint is the requirement of higher octane fuel but understand why with timing advance and slower burn.

Yes, watch my guages.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Those that have tuned or programmed
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.