Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: New 5th wheel hitch.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> New 5th wheel hitch.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
dryfly

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/20 09:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is not a which hitch is the best question.

I've got a 16K Husky slider hitch that I've been using for 12 years. Since I keep my truck in the garage, it still looks pretty good, but it's obviously aging (like me). I'm wondering what the life span on these hitches are? I really can't find any points on the hitch to service.

Even though I have a short bed Dodge truck, I have never once needed to engage the slider, but I've had to put up with the slop associated with it. If I bought a new hitch I'd probably go with a B&W.

So I guess the question is "how long should one go without updating a hitch" ?

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/07/20 10:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't think anyone can say "you have to update every XX years", as all hitches are not equal, or have the same care.

After 12 years, and your words "put up with the slop", I would just get the new B&W that you are considering.

Your Husky should still have some value, as it is a good hitch. I'd sell it, maybe getting a third, or near half the cost of a new B&W 16K Patriot. I'm guessing you have rails, and the Patriot is IMO, the best hitch out there for rails. You will have ZERO slop, and a very user friendly, well built hitch, that has a lot of ahead/back adjustment.

I would not "PUT UP" with anything, that I could easily replace! I'd get that new Patriot ordered today, from etrailer, or tweety's, and sell the old one, whenever you get around to it.

Jerry

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/07/20 10:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with Jerry 100%. He steered me toward the B&W 16K Patriot a few years ago and it has been a great hitch. I would buy it again in a heartbeat.

2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

You can't put a porcupine in a barn, set it on fire, and expect to make licorice.

dryfly

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/20 02:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the input. I'll certainly give it consideration. If I do make the move, the Patriot rail model would be my first choice.

As far as the movement caused by the slider, it is not really that bad and would not be a cause by itself to prompt me to get a new hitch. Sure as I get a hitch with no slider I'll probably need it the next day.

As an aside, one thing I will miss on the Husky is the Blue Ox Bed Saver that I put on it. I know this is a controversial thing but in my 12 years of pulling a 5th wheel it has twice saved me from dropping my trailer on the bed rails. Both times were through my negligence.

And by the way, I do know the correct way to prevent this from happening. I was careless!

hornet28

Muskegon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/07/20 07:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dryfly wrote:

As an aside, one thing I will miss on the Husky is the Blue Ox Bed Saver that I put on it. I know this is a controversial thing but in my 12 years of pulling a 5th wheel it has twice saved me from dropping my trailer on the bed rails. Both times were through my negligence.

And by the way, I do know the correct way to prevent this from happening. I was careless!

If you have some fabricating skills and tools modify the Blue Ox to fit a new hitch. I just bought one that I thought was going to fit my hitch and the bolt holes are not positioned right so I need to drill new holes in the correct location for my hitch. Before I found it I was going to fab one from scratch.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/20 08:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My old '97 16K Reese manual slider looks like new and works even better than when it was new. I keep it lubed and when not in use it hangs in the tractor barn. This old hitch has been on three trucks and has pulled my different 5th wheel rv trailers and GN pin trailers. I'm a stickler for maintenance so I'm keeping this one.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

shadows4

Kansas City, Mo

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/07/20 08:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dryfly wrote:

This is not a which hitch is the best question.

I've got a 16K Husky slider hitch that I've been using for 12 years. Since I keep my truck in the garage, it still looks pretty good, but it's obviously aging (like me). I'm wondering what the life span on these hitches are? I really can't find any points on the hitch to service.

Even though I have a short bed Dodge truck, I have never once needed to engage the slider, but I've had to put up with the slop associated with it. If I bought a new hitch I'd probably go with a B&W.

So I guess the question is "how long should one go without updating a hitch" ?

I had a Reese slider that was about 10 years old. It too was sloppy and noisy. This spring I bought a 4 year old B&W Patriot for $300 and sold the Reese for $160. So for $140 I got a solid hitch. I am definitely a B&W convert now. The B&W is solid and quiet. Best move I have made in a while. Good luck.

2003 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,7.3L diesel, 214,000 miles
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

stickdog

Somewhere, USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/20 09:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know how long a hitch should last but my B&W Companion is 10 1/2 years and 90,000 miles. Grease the zerts, white lithium on the uprights, spray lube on the pin.

9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

RAS43

Littleton,CO

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/20 12:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JIMNLIN wrote:

My old '97 16K Reese manual slider looks like new and works even better than when it was new. I keep it lubed and when not in use it hangs in the tractor barn. This old hitch has been on three trucks and has pulled my different 5th wheel rv trailers and GN pin trailers. I'm a stickler for maintenance so I'm keeping this one.

I have had a similar experience with my 20k Reese. It is also a '97 and I have only replaced the 2 jaw springs as part of my preventative maintenance including regular inspections and lube.

C Schomer

Pueblo West, Co.

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/20 03:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would bolt or weld the slider and stop the slop. A can of shake n shoot will make it look new again. Craig

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> New 5th wheel hitch.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.