Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: 10/3 Wire split
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> 10/3 Wire split

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/07/20 06:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cavie wrote:

time2roll wrote:

J-Box and wire nuts are fine. I also would be inclined to just tape it up depending on how it looks.

I assume 10/2 vs 10/3 is just a nomenclature typo.

Post a picture for best advice.

10/2 with ground is what is in the RV. A junction box, twisted wires and wire nuts are all the is required. Twise the wires first then add the wirenuts. 10/3 w ground is used if 240 volts.
Are you telling me? I know the difference. I believe the OP does too.
I don't think the thread is about what replacement wire to buy.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/07/20 06:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is not necessary to twist the wires together before using a wire nut, just put them parallel and insert, then turn the wire nut till tight.

cavie

Port Charlotte Fl/ Hindsdale MA

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/20 07:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

icodeintx wrote:

Oh my... I was hoping not to hear "replace" [emoticon]

That wire goes under the floor, under the door and through the kitchen to the power box.

Master Electrician here. No need to replace it. j-box and wire nuts will be fine!.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

cavie

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/20 07:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

cavie wrote:

time2roll wrote:

J-Box and wire nuts are fine. I also would be inclined to just tape it up depending on how it looks.

10/2 with ground is what is in the RV. A junction box, twisted wires and wire nuts are all the is required. Twise the wires first then add the wirenuts. 10/3 w ground is used if 240 volts.

I was referring to your nomeclature type. 10/2 and 10'3 are not a typo. two different types od wire.

cavie

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/20 07:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cavie wrote:

time2roll wrote:

cavie wrote:

time2roll wrote:

I was referring to your nomenclature typo. 10/2 and 10/3 are not a typo. Two different types of wire.

cavie

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/20 07:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In the Romex world there is 10/2, 10/3 plane, and 10/3 with ground. 50-year master electrician here.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/07/20 07:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Technically you are correct. Kinda like calling it 110 and 220. We all know what is being said.

Of course if the OP was ordering wire on amazon the 10/2 vs 10/3 is very important.

MNRon

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/07/20 08:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’m with Bumpyroad. As long as conductors aren’t damaged I’d just do a better electrical tape job around both conductors (a couple thicknesses of tape provides much more than 120v protection); then electrical tape over the whole “surgery”. Finally, you need to protect it from the type damage that occurred - that depends on space and what’s around; heat shrink probably sufficient, but only if nothing sharp or a rub hazard as it bounces down the road. Worst case you could encase it in a sleeve of pvc or something more protective.

If I was to bother with more, I’d probably replace the whole length of wire. Although box and wire nuts would be fine, frankly the wire nut junction has more potential for failure than a good tape up job on what you already have.

My 2 cents...

Ron & Pat
2013 Silverado 3500 Duramax SRW
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/20 08:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MNRon wrote:

I’m with Bumpyroad. As long as conductors aren’t damaged I’d just do a better electrical tape job around both conductors (a couple thicknesses of tape provides much more than 120v protection); then electrical tape over the whole “surgery”. Finally, you need to protect it from the type damage that occurred - that depends on space and what’s around; heat shrink probably sufficient, but only if nothing sharp or a rub hazard as it bounces down the road. Worst case you could encase it in a sleeve of pvc or something more protective.

If I was to bother with more, I’d probably replace the whole length of wire. Although box and wire nuts would be fine, frankly the wire nut junction has more potential for failure than a good tape up job on what you already have.

My 2 cents...

x2

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/07/20 09:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cavie wrote:

icodeintx wrote:

Oh my... I was hoping not to hear "replace" [emoticon]

That wire goes under the floor, under the door and through the kitchen to the power box.

Master Electrician here. No need to replace it. j-box and wire nuts will be fine!.

I agree with Cavie, I would add, I would use a 4-11/16” j-box much easier to work in with 10 gauge wire. My opinion is fix it right so if someone else sees it they feel you do repairs correctly. I would also twist the wires before putting on the wire nuts. With 14 or 12 gauge the parallel and twist on the nut will twist the wire also, 10 gauge not always.
One last thing put a cover on the j-box.

* This post was edited 11/07/20 09:08pm by rhagfo *

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> 10/3 Wire split
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.