Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: 10/3 Wire split
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> 10/3 Wire split

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev
BurbMan

Islip, Long Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/11/20 06:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it's an area susceptible to damage, you may want to use a whip like this to run between the new splice junction box and the junction box that connects to the shore cord. Note that this is set up for 220v with black/red/green, but the wiring is the same and can easily be used for 120v by placing some white tape on either end of the red wire to mark it as the neutral.

Yes, wirenuts are fine as long as the cables are clamped where they enter the junction box and the box cover is installed.

Click pic for link.

[image]

2015 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper
SOLD: 2008 Terry 34' TT
SOLD: 2001 K2500LT 8.1L Suburban

Lance 811 Renovation Story!
Project Complete!
Maiden Voyage!

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/20 08:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MrWizard wrote:

I love silicone self fusing tape
I have been using the 3M brand
I always use it on connections I don't want to re-visit
Will try the F2t tape next time I order some
I wrap new cable ends with it, to seal them, better protection than shrink tubing

Nice some understand the usefulness of these products.

I had an overhead feeder line get chaffed that fed power to an out building. It caused weird electrical issues when it rained. I turned off the power, re attached the support that kept the feeder off the roof and proceeded to properly wrap the chaffed line. Worked GREAT!

Now all you splice fans should I have chopped apart a perfectly good wire and set a couple junction boxes with new cable in-between?????????

* This post was edited 11/11/20 08:08pm by Cummins12V98 *

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/20 08:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There exists SPIRAL WRAP to serve as exactly that, cool around the vulnerable area. The cheap Chinese plastic stuff works OK for cosmetic effect while more expensive Nylon wrap protects against physical bumps, scrapes and cuts.

Butt connectors are available with built-in shrink tubing or a person can stick with a Snuffy Smith Special.

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/20 09:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

There exists SPIRAL WRAP to serve as exactly that, cool around the vulnerable area. The cheap Chinese plastic stuff works OK for cosmetic effect while more expensive Nylon wrap protects against physical bumps, scrapes and cuts.

Butt connectors are available with built-in shrink tubing or a person can stick with a Snuffy Smith Special.

I especially like the marine ones that have some kind of a heat/melt glue in them also.
bumpy

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/20 10:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The solder seal type heat shrink tubing has a lead bismuth alloy which melts somewhere in the 300°F range. Mostly for use with a heat gun but a butane lighter will do. Crimp then solder shrink and seal in one motion. The nylon version of black spiral wrap is incredibly durable. I've wrapped arc welding cable and MIG stinger leads with it and the cords remain undamaged laying on a shop floor. I like stuff that lasts. The capacity test of the 31XT Lifeline is underway. It was first charged for 6 hours at 14.40 volts @ 15c

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/20 08:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HMMMM

No responses.

icodeintx

Bryan

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/20 07:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is my response [emoticon]

I appreciate everyone's feedback and discussions (arguments) about which is the best way. I've determined from the discussions that the right way is whatever floats my boat as long as the copper is not damaged. For now it is going to get wrapped and down the line maybe it will get replaced with a jbox. However, I'm 95% leaning towards building out a skoolie in the near future so that will end the need for jbox or tape

Cummins12V98 wrote:

HMMMM

No responses.

Scott D - Desert Storm Veteran

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/20 06:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP good call.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> 10/3 Wire split
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.