cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slide problem on possible purchase

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
I looked at a 2004 Winnebago Chalet Model 30BR today at a dealership. The owner said there is a problem with the slide, it will only go out so far and stops. His tech has tried to trace down the problem, but cannot find it and actually with all the other work lined up, dealer cannot let tech spend a lot of time on it.

My question is if I would go ahead with this purchase on an "as is" sale, could this be a real costly situation to get into?

I can think of a few things it could be, but I myself do not have the capability to fix anything like that.

Thoughts?
11 REPLIES 11

Spade_Cooley
Explorer
Explorer
I have a friend who bought a Mercedes camper van with slide. The slide kept coming off the track. After two years of fighting and going through various warrantee problems, he finally sold it. No one was able to fix it. Don't buy!

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dave H M wrote:
Run Forest Run
X2, depending on where you are and the dealer, that $X/hr that BFL13 mentioned could be $105.+/hr, around here its like $125. +/-, X who knows how many hours, not to mention parts.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
Again, appreciate the help.... afraid to get into the "unknown" before a purchase. After a purchase, a lot different. Thanks, all.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
If the dealers Tech can't find the problem it's either an incompetent Tech or a major problem.
I wouldn't take the chance.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Run Forest Run

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
If I were looking at a rig and I was told "The slide only goes out so far an stops we have not been able to figure out the problem) (NOTE likely would take me less than 10 minutes to figure it out).. I would quite likely diagnose (And perhaps cure) the problem for them. Then say "NO SALE" and find a better dealer.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
Appreciate the replies and suggestions. Thanks to all of you.

Barb

navigator2346
Explorer
Explorer
I would go back and try the slide with the engine running. The slide motor might not be getting a full 12vdc and running the engine could help

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
might be a very good buy for someone handy. Slides are electric rack, cable or hydrauilic. My google search did not turn up which Winnie used on that model, but i suspect its electric.
Run Away from cable slides, trust hyd. slides, electric is likely for this unit. A gear is stripped, motor weak, out of time rack. maybe something else.
If you are serious about this unit, get an independent rv repairman to accompany you incognito to inspect and diagnose.
It could be serious or simple
The dealerships foot dragging is suspect. A simple fix dont you think they would have done it?

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldnโ€™t buy anything from a dealer with a known and unfixed problem.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
LadyRVer wrote:
I looked at a 2004 Winnebago Chalet Model 30BR today at a dealership. The owner said there is a problem with the slide, it will only go out so far and stops. His tech has tried to trace down the problem, but cannot find it and actually with all the other work lined up, dealer cannot let tech spend a lot of time on it.

My question is if I would go ahead with this purchase on an "as is" sale, could this be a real costly situation to get into?

I can think of a few things it could be, but I myself do not have the capability to fix anything like that.

Thoughts?

Time is money. You have no way to know how much time at $X/hr it would take to fix it, VS the discount for the possible cost off the purchase price.

So it is a total gamble. Why take the chance? "There is more than one pebble on the beach" and all that.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.