Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Slide problem on possible purchase
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Slide problem on possible purchase

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
LadyRVer

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/20 07:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I looked at a 2004 Winnebago Chalet Model 30BR today at a dealership. The owner said there is a problem with the slide, it will only go out so far and stops. His tech has tried to trace down the problem, but cannot find it and actually with all the other work lined up, dealer cannot let tech spend a lot of time on it.

My question is if I would go ahead with this purchase on an "as is" sale, could this be a real costly situation to get into?

I can think of a few things it could be, but I myself do not have the capability to fix anything like that.

Thoughts?

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/20 07:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LadyRVer wrote:

I looked at a 2004 Winnebago Chalet Model 30BR today at a dealership. The owner said there is a problem with the slide, it will only go out so far and stops. His tech has tried to trace down the problem, but cannot find it and actually with all the other work lined up, dealer cannot let tech spend a lot of time on it.

My question is if I would go ahead with this purchase on an "as is" sale, could this be a real costly situation to get into?

I can think of a few things it could be, but I myself do not have the capability to fix anything like that.

Thoughts?

Time is money. You have no way to know how much time at $X/hr it would take to fix it, VS the discount for the possible cost off the purchase price.

So it is a total gamble. Why take the chance? "There is more than one pebble on the beach" and all that.

1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Lwiddis

South of Lone Pine, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/07/20 07:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wouldn’t buy anything from a dealer with a known and unfixed problem.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

SDcampowneroperator

South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/07/20 07:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

might be a very good buy for someone handy. Slides are electric rack, cable or hydrauilic. My google search did not turn up which Winnie used on that model, but i suspect its electric.
Run Away from cable slides, trust hyd. slides, electric is likely for this unit. A gear is stripped, motor weak, out of time rack. maybe something else.
If you are serious about this unit, get an independent rv repairman to accompany you incognito to inspect and diagnose.
It could be serious or simple
The dealerships foot dragging is suspect. A simple fix dont you think they would have done it?

navigator2346

texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/20 08:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would go back and try the slide with the engine running. The slide motor might not be getting a full 12vdc and running the engine could help

LadyRVer

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/20 08:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Appreciate the replies and suggestions. Thanks to all of you.

Barb

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/20 05:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I were looking at a rig and I was told "The slide only goes out so far an stops we have not been able to figure out the problem) (NOTE likely would take me less than 10 minutes to figure it out).. I would quite likely diagnose (And perhaps cure) the problem for them. Then say "NO SALE" and find a better dealer.

Home is where I park it.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Dave H M

IL

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/20 07:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Run Forest Run

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/20 07:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the dealers Tech can't find the problem it's either an incompetent Tech or a major problem.
I wouldn't take the chance.

LadyRVer

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/20 08:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Again, appreciate the help.... afraid to get into the "unknown" before a purchase. After a purchase, a lot different. Thanks, all.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Slide problem on possible purchase
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.