cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Carport or individual covers for slidouts?

PWRmx24
Explorer
Explorer
First time 5th wheel owner will be full time for a couple years in one location. I'm considering putting up a metal "car port" over the trailer to protect against rain, snow, sun UV. I've also seen some folks put up a roof over each slide somehow......not just the awning covers....but it looked like a mini roof...made of translucent plastic or fiberglas...not sure. I'm in central VA so any recommendations on a company to put up a metal cover? Anyone have any experience putting up the mini roof over each slide option? How do they even attach to the trailer? Thanks in advance.
9 REPLIES 9

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Build big enough, they got bigger and bigger, now I need to add a few feet.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

PWRmx24
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks very much for the feedback. I will check the zoning and if allowed get an estimate for DIY and installed carport. I'll see after that about a DIY roof over the slides. My main concern is rain coming in the 3 slides.

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
Our last rig had damage from the sun from being parked outside... on the side of the camper, not the top. Do the full carport, and if you can, at least have some kind of sun protection (walls, UV screens etc) on the sides that face south and west.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
https://www.alansfactoryoutlet.com/

This is where I got my carport 6 years ago. Very happy with it. I got a 31' long, 18' wide, 10' leg carport and its big enough to store my camper underneath with the slide out. If you are planning to fulltime your camper under it, you might want to get it wider, so you have a place to sit under cover outside. The carport will make your awning inoperable.

I paid $2400 for mine and got the boxed eaves rather than the traditional roof style.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Never heard of putting a roof over each slide, where is the 5er going to be for "a couple years" at your place or somewhere else?
If somewhere else, what are you going to do with the carport/ cover when you're ready to move on?
If at your place, try these folks, tis is who i used.

https://www.carolinacarportsinc.com/
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
I have worked on writing a new set of zoning regulations for a major urban county.

Frequently they include (as recommended by the National Association of Counties) serious limits on secondary buildings (not primary residences).

Height limitations.

Distance from property lines.

Total square feet allowed.

etc.

And, as Valhalla said, living full time in an RV on residential property.

Be careful!
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
I've seen people build a roof over just the slides...usually it's a half A** solution after they have a failure.

A full RV/Car Port is quite viable. Make sure it's high enough that when you run the air/con there is enough air flow to carry the heat away.

PS: Make sure of the zoning laws if you plan to live in an RV without moving around.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I would go with the full metal carport. It will protect the entire RV and roof from all the weather, including the hot Sun.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
People do all kinds of silly things, putting a partial roof over a slide seems useless. If you have the option, build a garage style carport and make it completely protect all sides from the weather. Just building a roof that isn't much larger than the RV is almost useless since the sun and weather streams in from all sides.