Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Keeping pets safe in travel trailer while “home alone”
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Dogs

> Keeping pets safe in travel trailer while “home alone”

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/20 09:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ford truck guy wrote:

Been traveling with a dog, or dogs for 30+ years...

Like already stated, how they react at home is usually how they will be in the RV... Take a drive, park away and sneak back to see what they are going....

Get a monitor and keep a watch..
^^^This, to a dog the RV becomes home. My Collies like the RV because we go on more walks.

Jas1317

NY

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/20 09:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

colliehauler wrote:

ford truck guy wrote:

Been traveling with a dog, or dogs for 30+ years...

Like already stated, how they react at home is usually how they will be in the RV... Take a drive, park away and sneak back to see what they are going....

Get a monitor and keep a watch..
^^^This, to a dog the RV becomes home. My Collies like the RV because we go on more walks.

Perfect I think our dogs are going to love it too! Thank you for the confidence!

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/20 06:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

colliehauler wrote:

Now more controversy, I always leave my RV unlocked when gone with pets inside. If a fire would break out there would be a possibility of a rescue. A RV can burn to the ground in very little time.

I also give the campground my phone number if they need to contact me.

I lock the door, but have a sign that said "Dogs on Board".

Deb and Ed M

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/20 06:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think dogs need to learn that "their yard" around the RV is mighty small. All of mine learned to ignore whatever was going on in the street or the RV next door - it helps to just sit outside with them and monitor what they are alerting towards. My guys were great - you don't know they are in the RV until you bump the side or step on the stairs.... my newest camper "Augie" is the perfect camping dog - not very big for an Aussie (45 lbs) but has a deep voice. His alert is one loud bark - but most people who are up to no good, would move along to another RV

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/20 02:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Deb and Ed M wrote:

colliehauler wrote:

Now more controversy, I always leave my RV unlocked when gone with pets inside. If a fire would break out there would be a possibility of a rescue. A RV can burn to the ground in very little time.

I also give the campground my phone number if they need to contact me.

I lock the door, but have a sign that said "Dogs on Board".
If you watch a video of a RV fire they are burnt down in minutes with leathal toxic smoke long before that.
What good does a sign do if the door is locked?

My Collies are the most important thing in my RV. The rest can be replaced with a shopping trip to Wallyworld.

Deb and Ed M

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/20 07:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

colliehauler wrote:

If you watch a video of a RV fire they are burnt down in minutes with leathal toxic smoke long before that.

My Collies are the most important thing in my RV. The rest can be replaced with a shopping trip to Wallyworld.

You have a really good point. I guess I feel the chances of a random opportunistic thief opening the unlocked door and turning my dogs loose (now scared and running - neither is very protective) is higher than my RV catching fire??

Jas1317

NY

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/20 07:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Deb and Ed M wrote:

colliehauler wrote:

You have a really good point. I guess I feel the chances of a random opportunistic thief opening the unlocked door and turning my dogs loose (now scared and running - neither is very protective) is higher than my RV catching fire??

Are RV thieves a big thing? This is probably a separate topic in itself!

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/20 07:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Deb and Ed M wrote:

colliehauler wrote:

I don't know where you camp but I haven't locked a RV door (other then the storage yard) in over 25 years and never had a theft. Of course I have owned RV'S for over 25 years and never had a fire.

There for awhile RV'S had a issue of refrigerator fires. I had the recalls done to fix the issue.

Usually a thieve will do more costly damage to the RV breaking in then what the stuff inside is worth.

richclover

WY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/14/20 08:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We’re at our winter runaway rv park. Dog friendly with the usual rules. Campers next door have 3 dogs and are in the habit of leaving them unattended for several hours at a time. Wow! Those critters can be heard all over the park!

So last evening the lady walked by with her 3 dogs and my Wife struck up a conversation since we had not yet met. Very friendly, so we let her know that their dogs bark constantly while home alone. She had no idea and thanked us for telling her. We’ll see what happens.

No complaints from us. We’re dog people too. But ours go with us.

Rich
2018 Ram 4X4 2500HD Cummins
2020 Chaparral 336TSIK
2019 RAM 1500 Classic 4X4 Hemi
2019 CanAm Maverick Sport 1000
SW WY

Jas1317

NY

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/20 08:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

richclover wrote:

We’re at our winter runaway rv park. Dog friendly with the usual rules. Campers next door have 3 dogs and are in the habit of leaving them unattended for several hours at a time. Wow! Those critters can be heard all over the park!

So last evening the lady walked by with her 3 dogs and my Wife struck up a conversation since we had not yet met. Very friendly, so we let her know that their dogs bark constantly while home alone. She had no idea and thanked us for telling her. We’ll see what happens.

No complaints from us. We’re dog people too. But ours go with us.

Wow. Yeah I don’t intend to leave them without a monitor so I would know if they bark. Mine don’t bark much at home unless they see a dog out the window or someone comes to the door so I don’t think it will be an issue, but we are going to make sure before leaving them. And it would also be for a very short period of time - to go to dinner or to the pool or something like that. Otherwise ours will come with us too.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Dogs

> Keeping pets safe in travel trailer while “home alone”
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.